Northwestern post game...

Thoughts after watching the game and sitting back for a bit.

I like AF a lot. But he shouldn’t be taking 17 shots, to score 16 points.

I was saying before the game we would need more outside shooting come B1G play and I doubted his outstanding early shooting would hold up in the B1G. This also is just 1 game but again why is he taking 17 of the shots? 

Galloway is a strong player who will only get better. He hit a couple nice threes today after good movement to get open. However anyone who didn’t see his 4 TO’s and several other defensive mistakes including leading to open looks is overlooking them because they like him. I like him to, a lot, but his good play was balanced with some real frosh mistakes. I would have liked to see more of Hunter today, you have to get your shooters in the game. We didn’t shoot well mor because we don’t have shooting on the team.

Really, really liked Race’s second half. He got aggressive and was immediately productive. He needs to work on not making bad fouls around the basket though.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This board is starting to test my resolve. Think this will be my last comment for a while.

I still don't believe the coaching is the problem. The system works when the decision making and effort is there. The problem is neither of those have been consistent. And that's not Archie being incapable of motivating. It's honestly an inability of a few guys to be motivated. He is constantly ripping into guys on the sideline and it rarely moves the needle for a few of our players.

I think we've got some really bright spots in TJD, Franklin, Race, and Galloway. Almost everyone else has proven to be a dud. Maybe Lander and Leal give you more later in the season. At some point though, you need more guys like TJD that are going to decide losing isn't an option. Tonight Northwestern had that. We didn't.

I'm sure this will be met with a lot of disagreement but frankly I'm just tired of the incessant negativity at any sign of adversity. This falls on more than the coach and I'm not going to sign up for a revolving door at that position when it will only put us in the same damn position 5 years from now.

2 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

This board is starting to test my resolve. Think this will be my last comment for a while.

I still don't believe the coaching is the problem. The system works when the decision making and effort is there. The problem is neither of those have been consistent. And that's not Archie being incapable of motivating. It's honestly an inability of a few guys to be motivated. He is constantly ripping into guys on the sideline and it rarely moves the needle for a few of our players.

I think we've got some really bright spots in TJD, Franklin, Race, and Galloway. Almost everyone else has proven to be a dud. Maybe Lander and Leal give you more later in the season. At some point though, you need more guys like TJD that are going to decide losing isn't an option. Tonight Northwestern had that. We didn't.

I'm sure this will be met with a lot of disagreement but frankly I'm just tired of the incessant negativity at any sign of adversity. This falls on more than the coach and I'm not going to sign up for a revolving door at that position when it will only put us in the same damn position 5 years from now.

If every player has a motivation problem that’s a problem of coaching.  

14 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Does the kid for Illinois get to play after the double T tonight?

Yeah, unfortunately Dosunmu will play...

I'm all for sitting Al in favor of Galloway...and to be honest, I'm losing faith in Rob, at least his offensive game...he's still the best on the ball defender we have...

Galloway is a better defender than Al, and doesn't make the boneheaded plays Durham does...when Al kept dribbling it between his legs out front with about 3 minutes to go, I kept expecting him to dribble the ball off his foot, ala Devonte...but he saved that for the most important possession of the game...

I don't think we should start Lander just yet...but surely to God he's at least holding his own in practice with Al and Rob...if he is, he needs to get minutes...

5 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

Isn’t it worth a shot to try a different coach and end up in the same place instead of keeping the current coach and ending up there anyway??   Something about insanity doing the same thing and expecting a different result??

6 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

If it was just this one season I might agree with you. It's pretty much been a problem for his previous 3 years too, though. And he still hasn't figured out how to correct it. That's on Miller.

Just now, Indykev said:

Allen's buy out is 23 million next year. he isnt going any where for a few years. It goes down every year but you arent buying out Nick Saban at 23 mill.

Yeah don’t think it happens next year. But thoughts of him being around like Bobby Knight are unrealistic in my opinion.  Either he continues to perform well and leaves for a better job.  Or he falls off and is not worth what we are paying him.  Enjoy him while he is here 

When I see Al and Rob play like this, it definitely makes me want them to sit more and let all the freshman get their run. The mistakes and struggles the new guys currently have are only ones that can be fixed with experience and will get better the more opportunities they are given. There is just no excuse for Rob and Al to be making the mistakes they are. Let the new guys learn. They are hitting more shots than the upperclassmen are here recently, but get taken out shortly after. I haven’t seen Lander dribble the ball off his foot yet....I think Al is a good dude, but he definitely has some head-scratching moments and gets very clumsy with the ball....and then with Rob, was hoping he would return to freshman form since he got healthy again, but he just seems so lifeless out there compared to how I remembered him his freshman year. I can’t imagine how frustrating it may be for Geronimo and Leal to not get in games at all when they see Al and Rob do the things they do. 

1 minute ago, iucane said:

Yeah don’t think it happens next year. But thoughts of him being around like Bobby Knight are unrealistic in my opinion.  Either he continues to perform well and leaves for a better job.  Or he falls off and is not worth what we are paying him.  Enjoy him while he is here 

Allen will be our Barry Alvarez

12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I was saying before the game we would need more outside shooting come B1G play and I doubted his outstanding early shooting would hold up in the B1G. This also is just 1 game but again why is he taking 17 of the shots? 

Galloway is a strong player who will only get better. He hit a couple nice threes today after good movement to get open. However anyone who didn’t see his 4 TO’s and several other defensive mistakes including leading to open looks is overlooking them because they like him. I like him to, a lot, but his good play was balanced with some real frosh mistakes. I would have liked to see more of Hunter today, you have to get your shooters in the game. We didn’t shoot well mor because we don’t have shooting on the team.

Really, really liked Race’s second half. He got aggressive and was immediately productive. He needs to work on not making bad fouls around the basket though.

To much negative im this post...:coffee:

I'm trying to have the "it's a long season" mentality but w/covid and the uncertainties of even playing games, each one matters that much more this year. 

I have been so underwhelmed with our upper classmen. By now, Rob should look like a commanding leader out on the floor and be a reliable option on offense. Hunter honestly shouldn't see the floor unless Thompson and TJD are in foul trouble. For every 3-pointer he gets he lets up an easy basket, or gets a foul. Lander and Galloway need more opportunities, Lander will help with taking care of the ball and Galloway is essential to running the floor and getting out on transition offense since our halfcourt offense is basically feed TJD.  

I will not give up on IU basketball but I just don't see us turning this around and feel like i'm gonna watch the first 3 seasons all over again where we are a bubble team hanging on for dear life . It's just frustrating to think that we let go of a coach because competing for big ten titles and winning a tournament game or two wasn't enough but its year 4 of a 7 year contract w/ CAM and we just lost the 4th out of our last 5 conference openers, 5-3, and unranked. 

2 minutes ago, iucane said:

The 3 star recruits need to turn into 4 star and need to pick up 3 or 4 5star recruits to keep it going. team is young, has a 2 or 3 year window here to up recruiting.

2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

If it was just this one season I might agree with you. It's pretty much been a problem for his previous 3 years too, though. And he still hasn't figured out how to correct it. That's on Miller.

I agree. If  issues arise in a few games maybe it’s all on the players, and not the coach, but we have been talking about many of the same things (lack of effort, poor shooting etc) for 3+ years. At some point, even though he is not on the floor, it reflects on the coach. I want Archie to succeed but are we going to be any better than 9-10th or so in the BT this year and what does next year look like if TJD leaves??? I really hope we have a good year but am skeptical.

16 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Good post.  Regarding franklin I am loving his aggressiveness.  We need assertive offensive players.  And I’m not sure who else besides TJD should get more shots. 

al and rob have disappointed 😔 ...so far.  

Just now, PhinithreeMagic said:

I feel exactly the same. I understand NW used to be considered an easy win every year but they just came off a win over Sparty and looked good again tonight. They had a “bum” score 17 2nd half points by turning into Kobe. I think the comments should have been praise for Coach Collins finding that kid at W&M. Same with Kopp. I hate how every game, every thread devolves into how Archie should be fired. 4 years ago we wanted a defensive minded coach who can recruit the state. Check and check. he lost to NW so let’s run his ass out of town. That will definitely draw Stevens or Donovan to Bloomington.

I for one think this years team is better than last year which was better than the year before. I find this team fun to watch because I can tell they LEO and TJD is a real leader. I still think the future is bright and don’t want to start back over just because results are not coming as fast as we like. 

This year has turned everything upside down and I made the decision to take a step back and just enjoy the fact I get to watch IU play when in an instant the program could come to a screeching halt.

21 minutes ago, PhinithreeMagic said:

None of us want a revolving door.  We want cam to step up.  In games and recruiting.  It’s hard to be optimistic losing to NW at home with TJD, and looking at next year with him likely gone.  

5 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

I feel exactly the same. I understand NW used to be considered an easy win every year but they just came off a win over Sparty and looked good again tonight. They had a “bum” score 17 2nd half points by turning into Kobe. I think the comments should have been praise for Coach Collins finding that kid at W&M. Same with Kopp. I hate how every game, every thread devolves into how Archie should be fired. 4 years ago we wanted a defensive minded coach who can recruit the state. Check and check. he lost to NW so let’s run his ass out of town. That will definitely draw Stevens or Donovan to Bloomington.

I for one think this years team is better than last year which was better than the year before. I find this team fun to watch because I can tell they LEO and TJD is a real leader. I still think the future is bright and don’t want to start back over just because results are not coming as fast as we like. 

This year has turned everything upside down and I made the decision to take a step back and just enjoy the fact I get to watch IU play when in an instant the program could come to a screeching halt.

I don’t think guys like Stevens or Donovan are worried about fans calling for Archie to be run out of town.  However, I also don’t think either are a legitimate candidate for IU anymore. 

Archived