Northwestern post game...

7 minutes ago, iucane said:

I don’t think guys like Stevens or Donovan are worried about fans calling for Archie to be run out of town.  However, I also don’t think either are a legitimate candidate for IU anymore. 

If a coach doesn’t think he can do better than Archie by year 4 I don’t want them in the first place. Crean was better than Archie in year 4. And Crean was terrible. 

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's going to be a long season!

I can't stand watching Al play, more turnovers than points.

They have no concept of how to feed the post, TJD plays small posting, and he could work harder posting! I have never seen a bunch of players run around like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off and accomplish absolutely nothing. They NEVER look inside, always to the side, as they head for another damn ball screen.

It just.makes me tired!

One.more thing, if you can't shoot free throws better than IU you should quit! How can he continue to recruit payers  who CAN'T SHOOT????

This hire never excited anybody. Archie Miller? Dayton? One elite 8 run? It was a lazy, safe hire that was as exciting as vanilla pudding 

But at the same, this university is incapable of going big game hunting in the first place. There is a reason why UK is UK and Indiana has sucked for 30 years.

It also doesn't help that Fred Glass forced CAM to keep all of Creans players and recruits.....after he was hired and not let him build it the way he wanted from the beginning.

So we have a dumpy program in year 4 under CAM and recruiting is in the toilet. But then again, that's Indiana Basketball for 25 years now. 

2 hours ago, NY hoosier said:

I like the idea of Archie, but it doesn’t seem like he is an elite level coach. Recruits just ok, we don’t seem to have fire or accountability 

You nailed my thoughts. I like the idea of Archie, I like (most of) the things he says, and I think he has a good understanding of the game.

None of it ever comes to fruition. He can't hang in the Big Ten. I've been saying it for a couple seasons and maybe I was rightfully dubbed a hater too early on, but he's simply not it at this point. How many "good recruits" are we going to bring in ultimately to say "we just don't have the guys"? He's not getting it done, and I think at this point we can say he can't get it done.

Anything short of a miracle this season I cannot see how we justify keeping him.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

If a coach doesn’t think he can do better than Archie by year 4 I don’t want them in the first place. Crean was better than Archie in year 4. And Crean was terrible. 

Crean won two conference championships and had us ranked for much of the time. If he was terrible, our standards are way too high.

1 hour ago, Sea Turtle said:

But at the same, this university is incapable of going big game hunting in the first place. There is a reason why UK is UK and Indiana has sucked for 30 years.

You realize UK is 1-5 this year and Cal is sending kids home?  Right?

Don't get me wrong.  We suck.

But, don't ever wish us to be like UK.  Turn into UK and that's when I stop being an IU fan.

First time in the Archie era I actually looked up his buyout. Nothing is happening this year, as his buyout is $10 mil at the end of the season. With the loss of revenue due to COVID, not a chance a move is made.

What I found interesting is that his buyout drops to $3.35 mil on April 1, 2022. So next season. 2021-22, Archie is on the hot seat. The AD will have to extend him or fire him. Archie’s contract expires in 2024, so the AD will have a decision to make either way. Time to win Archie or it will be on to the next coach. 

7 hours ago, GoshenFan84 said:

Unpopular opinion, but I thought NW looked really good. They hit what felt like all their open shots in the 1st half and they had one player who was unconscionable on crunch time. Gonna be a long B1G season. No easy outs.

Hate being that guy but yes they looked good because they did what college basketball players get paid to do. Make shots, especially down the stretch. Like RP and AD they are Hoosier but I would rather watch KL and TG, if we are going to lose i would to teams like this with upperclassmen in the backcourt then play the frosh. No excuses guard play sucks and CAM did not look any better beating a zone that CTC. be honest IU fans Chris Collins let IU get back into the game by playing first 8 minutes of 2nd half man to man. We had to clue how to beat 3-2. If I were TJD I would be piseed too the started guards don't even attempt to get him the ball. Right now TJD and AF carries us and TG understands the game better than anyone on the team.

7 hours ago, madmax said:

As I stated in the game thread, I've always been the eternal optimist, "sunshine pumper", whatever you want to call it. Especially with CAM. I LOVED the hire. I truly believed we would win banners with him. Even through our struggles in Maui, etc.

But at this point, I'm just sick of it. Year 4 of scoring droughts, poor FT/perimeter shooting, and jekyll and hyde performances. At some point the well of excuses run dry. This is, effectively, his team. Only Crean recruit left is Al.

Still believe we can turn this around and have a productive season, but it seems less likely then not. This is a middle of the pack, bubble team. Hope I'm wrong, but hard to see how I would be.

Too early to talk lije that. We know no team that's ever played  would have a title if they didn't get year blah blah blah. Plenty on here with the numbers to prove it. Hell Rollie Massino coached fir 648 years before winning a title. If Nova had given up on him after 640 years they would not have shocked Georgetown. Give him time, get rid of the jackass Creans player and big things ahead. I hope my unborn grandkids enjoy the success they will see.

Merry my gift of sarcasm to HSN. The first full game with no interruptions I have been able to watch live in yeats and I have to stomach that. 

A few thoughts... 

NW is a good team. Ask MSU. Are their fans calling for Izzo to be fired? It. Wouldn't surprise me to beat IL. We are seeing some teams are better than expected this year and some aren't as good. 

As for our team, Al is a problem. He has looked worse than his stats. Leal and Galloway need more of his minutes. 

One reason Franklin had so many shots is that Rob and Al just aren't aggressive enough. 

Archie is getting too much blame here. He didn't miss those free throws and make the costly turnovers. College bball is a guards game and we are weak there. With Lander, Leal, Stewart I see help on the way. 

I'm encouraged seeing the direction we are going. Sure, I'd like to get there faster but I don't see another coach as the answer.

7 hours ago, IUrocker said:

We definitely don’t have a guy like Audige who just happened to turn into Kobe and light the ball on fire....hopefully Stewart can come in and be somewhat reminiscent of that, because I trust no one on our current roster to just explode like that right now. 

When we did have 1 of those guys he was told to stay in the corner and wait for the ball to come to you.

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

First time in the Archie era I actually looked up his buyout. Nothing is happening this year, as his buyout is $10 mil at the end of the season. With the loss of revenue due to COVID, not a chance a move is made.

What I found interesting is that his buyout drops to $3.35 mil on April 1, 2022. So next season. 2021-22, Archie is on the hot seat. The AD will have to extend him or fire him. Archie’s contract expires in 2024, so the AD will have a decision to make either way. Time to win Archie or it will be on to the next coach. 

Archie wont make it past next season the way this team is built. He got 1 scorer to come, now he needs to get a few more from the transfer portal.

8 hours ago, Rev_AK said:

I am worried that we are going to waste TJD’s career at IU. He seems to be the only one who cares at times. I am trying to be optimistic, but this loss combined with the overall strength of the  league and some recruiting whiffs has a sky is falling kind of a feel. Wonder if John Favreau or Dave Filoni know anything about basketball. Because they may be the only ones capable of resurrecting the IU legend. In other news, Merry Christmas to everyone. At the end of the day, it’s just a game played by kids. But wow, a frustrating loss.

it is tough to think of the talent of Romeo and TJD and the teams we've had.  plus try to picture this team next year minus TJD.

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I told people just changing coaches was not the answer and now we are seeing that come true.  I was going to that a-hole when the first sign of troubler bashing on the new coach but I couldn't do it but it is harder to say anything positive about Archie.  I guess we are lucky I was not in charge because I would have hired Gregg Marshall.  Archie was not even on my list when we had the opening but all the experts talked about he was the top candidate for the opening.

Scott - it seems like we wasted a lot of time about me being so negative!  Welcome to the Dark Side.  You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

8 hours ago, madmax said:

One of the pessimists will have to teach me how to react when we beat Illinois. Still new to this thing.

you still get excited and happy.  just don't start talking about how great we are and that we are about to win 10 straight and that we have a legit chance to be a Final Four team.  say some positive things about the game, then warn everyone why we will very likely lose the next game.  

48 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Archie is getting too much blame here. He didn't miss those free throws and make the costly turnovers. College bball is a guards game and we are weak there. With Lander, Leal, Stewart I see help on the way. 

We see comments like this after every loss. We're not just complaining about this single game. The problem is that the same bad play keeps happening over and over and over for the past few years, not just this year. At some point it's the coach who isn't getting it done.

Help has been on the way for the last 20-25 years. I guess we're just the Cubs fans of college basketball.

Archived