Will the "Archie" in CAM be his ruination

FWIUFan

Never started a topic before so don't be too hard on me if no one likes it.  I have no special experience--just a long time IU BB Fan. After sleeping on last nights debacle of a game just wanted to see what others thought.

I am a votary of CBK and followed IUBB ever since he was named coach of IUBB.  Therefore, I'm used to a coach who is demanding and a disciplinarian.  When we hired CAM, CBK said we had hired a good coach if we as a fanbase would be patient.  That was good enough for me at the time.  No one would accuse CBK of being a sunshine pumper. CAM's offensive and defensive schemes do seem to work when the execution is there.

However, now in our 4th year it seems like ground hog day.  The same problems are recurrent.  Players that don't seem to be self-motivated, poor shooting, poor FT shooting, lack of intensity, lack of execution, lack of discipline.  Too many players just don't  seem to be developing from year to year.  Yet they continue to be the Starters.

CAM said he wanted to get old an stay old.  For that philosophy to be effective, it presumes that "old" will mean that players continue to progress.  It seems clear at this point that Al, RP, and Hunter in particular have not shown the progress necessary for this team to thrive.  The reasons for the lack of progress don't really matter at this point in their careers.

After last night and looking at the season to this point, I think it's time to get young and hope they become "old" for the future.  I would like to see Lander, Galloway, Franklin, Thompson, and TJD start.  Leal and Geronimo first off the bench.  Trial by fire. Lose perhaps but get the game experience for the players of the future.  

I don't dislike Al, RP, or Hunter.  It would be best for the team if they were progressing as we all hoped.  I just don't see any evidence that they are going to elevate their play to the level we need for future success. Like the NBA, we need to draft the younger players to replace their current roles if we truly believe they are the future of IUBB. 

I’ll say this...the group we brought in this past year is better as a group and will win more than the group that Archie brought in his first full year....Galloway, Leal, Geronimo, and Lander>Romeo, Anderson, Phinesse, Hunter, Forrester, and Thompson....the issue with the team is the recruiting we did in year 1 and 2 is showing up in year 3 and 4. Romeo left as we all knew...he helps recruit other kids but he doesn’t help you win games. The rest outside of Thompson have been a bust. Al, Smith, Moore....gave us nothing....the next group underwhelming. The recruiting got better with the Trayce and Armaan group and then this past freshman group looks promising...but what people are concerned is that striking out in 21 isn’t how it effects our 21 team....it’s how it will effect our 23/24 team. Look how striking out in 17/18 has hurt our 20 team. That is the problem. Archie is going to have to fix his errors on the fly...hopefully Stewart can fix some misses and hopefully another big also can fix some misses in the coming years because we don’t have time to wait for Duncomb to work out. A lot more pressure on Archie....but bad recruiting classes kill momentum and the problem is you don’t know it for a couple years and by then it’s too late to fix it so you have to wait couple more years for your new recruits to come in. We aren’t UK...we don’t just get to throw the whole thing out and start fresh again next year...what happens in this year affects several years down the line.

I wish Archie would stop talking about being fatigued and tired to the media.  It's like he talks his players into it.  Game is mostly mental.

Love the think play night tired mentality.  

Got to think similar with shooting, FT - I know he works on it, but what form are they correcting.  Most IU guys fade on their shot, have limited routine at the line, etc.  This is coaching.  He throws his hands up when a shot doesn't go in- shooters need to shoot, and need confidence doing it.  They can't keep looking at the bench.

Hire a offensive guru.  All coaches do it.  Alford brought a guy to to it in the past.  Heck, Phil Jackson had the offensive coach.  All coaches do it.  

3 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

Never started a topic before so don't be too hard on me if no one likes it.  I have no special experience--just a long time IU BB Fan. After sleeping on last nights debacle of a game just wanted to see what others thought.

I am a votary of CBK and followed IUBB ever since he was named coach of IUBB.  Therefore, I'm used to a coach who is demanding and a disciplinarian.  When we hired CAM, CBK said we had hired a good coach if we as a fanbase would be patient.  That was good enough for me at the time.  No one would accuse CBK of being a sunshine pumper. CAM's offensive and defensive schemes do seem to work when the execution is there.

However, now in our 4th year it seems like ground hog day.  The same problems are recurrent.  Players that don't seem to be self-motivated, poor shooting, poor FT shooting, lack of intensity, lack of execution, lack of discipline.  Too many players just don't  seem to be developing from year to year.  Yet they continue to be the Starters.

CAM said he wanted to get old an stay old.  For that philosophy to be effective, it presumes that "old" will mean that players continue to progress.  It seems clear at this point that Al, RP, and Hunter in particular have not shown the progress necessary for this team to thrive.  The reasons for the lack of progress don't really matter at this point in their careers.

After last night and looking at the season to this point, I think it's time to get young and hope they become "old" for the future.  I would like to see Lander, Galloway, Franklin, Thompson, and TJD start.  Leal and Geronimo first off the bench.  Trial by fire. Lose perhaps but get the game experience for the players of the future.  

I don't dislike Al, RP, or Hunter.  It would be best for the team if they were progressing as we all hoped.  I just don't see any evidence that they are going to elevate their play to the level we need for future success. Like the NBA, we need to draft the younger players to replace their current roles if we truly believe they are the future of IUBB. 

Thats what Northwestern did last year. At this point it looks to be paying off.

Archived