Glory Days

rico

I posted a thread on this on the old site.  I know we got lots of guys here that played HS B-ball.  How many out there played against somebody that went on to become "famous" for their basketball skills?  In my case I played against Shawn Kemp and Rick Fox.  I also played against former Mr. Basketball, Jeff Grose, numerous times.  Sometimes it is a small world.

I did not have the ability to play basketball....hockey instead.

I did play baseball against Kyle Macy as a kid. I also played with a guy from Ft. Wayne Northside by the name of Frank Thomas. He went on to play on scholarship at TCU.

Nobody too crazy for me. I played against and with a bunch if D1 guys, but played HS in PA so not guys you all would probably know. I did play on a summer tournament team (I guess you could losely consider it AAU) with Matt Carrol (played at ND and in the NBA). Richard Hamilton was supposed to be on that team too, but he never showed up. 

In college I played against Andy Panko who had a cup of coffee with the Lakers and I think won a Euro League MVP at some point. 

After college I played in a men's league with Ricky Davis' posse. It was hilarious. 

I was not on the team but my senior year Matt Painter played against us at our place.  Gene Keady was there and one of my best friends was a PU fan and went over to get an autograph.  Knowing he was going to be there I wore all of my IU stuff and went over to him and set next to Keady.

3 hours ago, rico said:

I posted a thread on this on the old site.  I know we got lots of guys here that played HS B-ball.  How many out there played against somebody that went on to become "famous" for their basketball skills?  In my case I played against Shawn Kemp and Rick Fox.  I also played against former Mr. Basketball, Jeff Grose, numerous times.  Sometimes it is a small world.

Where are you from Rico?  I live in Warsaw, so obviously have watched Jeff and Rick often

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I once played a pick-up game with Doug Flutie and he threw me an alley-oop to win the game. I immediately ran back to my office to call my dad and tell him, it was awesome. My grandfather played baseball and hockey at BC so my Dad always loved Flutie. 

Cool story. 

I remember playing against Trent Jackson (Wisconsin) in a pick up game. He was from a neighboring suburb. Don't recall the game at all so I'll pretend I dominated him :D

My senior year we didn't have anybody on our team over 6'2" and several teams we played had guys that were 6'9" so Luke Zeller would come up from the jr high and practice with us. He only weighed about 100 lbs. at the time and had spears for elbows. I felt like Indiana Jones when he would get a rebound and swing those damn things around. 

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Too many guys follow 5fouls lead with the comedic remarks.......just sayin'

Sorry, bud that you have lost your sense of humor. In my mind this board is supposed to be fun.

Just sayin...

9 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I did not have the ability to play basketball....hockey instead.

I did play baseball against Kyle Macy as a kid. I also played with a guy from Ft. Wayne Northside by the name of Frank Thomas. He went on to play on scholarship at TCU.

I got to go 1 v 1 against Guy Lafleur once, the guy was amazing. 

Archived