Archie Support

10 minutes ago, madmax said:

I think having no NCAA tournament last year really hurts the perception of Archie. As I’ve stated, I was thrilled with the hire and thought he was the perfect remedy to the defensive issues that we had. He’s also much more of a no nonsense/no bs type guy then crean was.

I think it’s obviously fair to say that results so far have been disappointing. I’m hopeful we can still have a good season this year and give us something to build from. I think a lot of us, myself included, were incredibly disappointed with the Northwestern loss. Let’s just hope it wasn’t a sign of things to comeLet’s just hope it wasn’t a sign of things to come.

Yeah, that tournament cancellation hurt.  Hell, we could have been a SS team last year and all this CAM stuff would be moot.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Sounds like it but you said Archie hadn't assembled his team with enough size but it is not his fault Brunk was injured. To me there are a few schools who seems like they always get a lot of big guys OU and FSU

You plan and should expect injuries though.   CAM has been hit every year with them. Yet he left 2 open scholarships to start the year.   We don't need a 5 star at the end of the bench either.  Is he afraid to gamble on a 3 star project?

IDK but whatever he's doing now doesn't seem to be working.   We just lost to a team that was 8-23 last year for goodness sakes.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

A big man that averages 15 and 8 at a mid major won't average that in the Big Ten, but he can provide 12-15 solid minutes off the bench.  Archie has invested too much in wings and not enough at the 4/5 position.  Yeah, Brunk's injury was unexpected, but it does not take a mathematician to see that with only 3 true bigs, if one of them is hurt, you're going to be a pickle.   We should have added another.

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A big man that averages 15 and 8 at a mid major won't average that in the Big Ten, but he can provide 12-15 solid minutes off the bench.  Archie has invested too much in wings and not enough at the 4/5 position.  Yeah, Brunk's injury was unexpected, but it does not take a mathematician to see that with only 3 true bigs, if one of them is hurt, you're going to be a pickle.   We should have added another.

It doesn't even have to be injury. With just 3 bits, foul trouble to one in a game can really hurt the team and foul trouble to 2 can be disastrous. 

3 players for 2 positions just isn't enough. 3 bigs might work at Dayton but not in the B1G. 

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Then why does most of the people think that Fife will be the one to replace Izzo if he is not the next one in line

He could be. He is the youngest of the assistant coaches and I don’t know that the others want to be a head coach. That said Fife is technically the third assistant so basically in Mike Roberts position on the IU staff. It doesn’t make him any less of a head coaching candidate it’s just the role he’s in at this time. Titles don’t always tell the whole story. 

3 minutes ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

Izzo needs fired. He obviously can’t recruit or coach. He’s lost 2 straight. That’s unacceptable. 

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

Sarcasm fail.

Oh, I don't know...considering the jerky knees on this forum, I thought it was pretty funny...

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Archie Miller hasn’t earned the right to use Tom Izzo as a basis for anything in his career. You know that.  Think more along the lines of John Groce.  

To be fair, John Groce won 23 games, 20, 19, 15, and then 18 games. Essentially his trajectory was negative throughout his time at Illinois. Archie’s has at least far been the exact opposite. Archie may not be the next Izzo, but it’s silly to mention his name in the same sentence as Groce’s.

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Archie Miller hasn’t earned the right to use Tom Izzo as a basis for anything in his career. You know that.  Think more along the lines of John Groce.  

Archie Miller didn't "use Tom Izzo as a basis for anything in his career", some anonymous internet poster did.

You just used it as a chance to take a shot at the coach.

23 minutes ago, HoosierHoops said:

Archie Miller didn't "use Tom Izzo as a basis for anything in his career", some anonymous internet poster did.

You just used it as a chance to take a shot at the coach.

Don’t be so sensitive.  You don’t know me or my thoughts.  Stating the obvious is not taking a shot.  Archie himself would agree with what I said and I doubt he’d even have a problem with it since it’s so evident.  

I am rooting for Archie to do well.   I don’t think any posters here are rooting for him to fail.  We have a range of posters from outright sycophants who twist reality on one end to people who think everything about him is inept on the other end.  That’s the nature of fans and discussion.  

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Bob, I agree with you 100%. Archie might be a good coach but so far at Indiana he has nothing to show for it. Performance and consistency in the court are the true measuring sticks.

I know its never happened in the past but I guess its possible a mid major coach moving up to a power5 conference school might not be a good fit and even though he has a good resume and seems to be a good coach, just isn't successful.

With the lack of metrics and measurable examples of a mid major coach being very successful at one level but failing to live up to that standard at the next level, we're just going to have to assume this might be an anomaly and hold on for a few more year.

I just wish there were examples to look at.  

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I know its never happened in the past but I guess its possible a mid major coach moving up to a power5 conference school might not be a good fit and even though he has a good resume and seems to be a good coach, just isn't successful.

With the lack of metrics and measurable examples of a mid major coach being very successful at one level but failing to live up to that standard at the next level, we're just going to have to assume this might be an anomaly and hold on for a few more year.

I just wish there were examples to look at.  

The thing is that most coaches start at a lower level and move up..I know Roy Williams went from being an assistant at UNC to the HC at KU.

Archived