Illinois pregame 12/26 4PM ET

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UI (-20).  I'm becoming apathetic yet again early in the season.

Unfortunately I've seen no evidence that this team can compete with UI this year. Front court is disadvantaged without Brunk.  Cockburn and Ayo are going to have monster games.  Poor FT shooting, Turnovers, lack of O from Al, RP, and Hunter will continue.  CAM will not play the FR other than Gallloway.  No new sets or line ups.  No answers or changes from CAM. Same Shit Different Day.  Man I hate being such a Debbie Downer but @UI is not the place where I see any turnaround.  (And yes I remember it was only a 1 pt game last year--doesn't change my opinion this year).  CAM and the team are going to have earn back my good hope in them.

Not feeling real good on this one. Only thing that might give us a chance is Illini don't like to play defense. At all. If we can figure out a way to get Cockburn in foul trouble our chances are in the 60/40 range in their favor. Otherwise I'm thinking something in the 77/65 range for them. Until this team proves it to me I have a hard time expecting any road wins vs upper half conference teams. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Will be a very tough game for IU.  We don't match up well against them.  Pretty big game for both teams though.  Will be tough for a team with 2 conference losses this early in the season to climb back to the top of the standings.  

Why don’t you think IU matches up well?   TJD on Kofi. Rob/Franklin on Ayo and Miler.  I personally think IU matches up well defensively. 

It’s possible IU just gets out executed and beat, but on paper, i think IU matches up better than say Texas or FSU.  

and as someone mentioned, their D is suspect - not that IUs offense is anything great right now.   Thinking an 82-79 IU bounce back win.   

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We gave them more than a game last year...Don't see why that wouldn't be the case this year as well...

We've won 7 of the last 9 and as you said that game at their joint last year was close/suspect on the 3 bad calls in basically one possession. Hopefully we can put together 40 minutes. They do nothing on the defensive side so it actually just comes down to us making shots. What a concept. Haha. Really miss Brunk for games like this. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

We've won 7 of the last 9 and as you said that game at their joint last year was close/suspect on the 3 bad calls in basically one possession. Hopefully we can put together 40 minutes. They do nothing on the defensive side so it actually just comes down to us making shots. What a concept. Haha. Really miss Brunk for games like this. 

Very true...Last year, they shot 24 FTs to our 12...We our rebounded them, and had 10 offensive boards...I watched them against Penn St, and they were sloppy and played very little defense...

BUT, if the let Cockburn camp in the lane, travel when he gets the ball, and swing those massive shoulders until all the defenders have been dispatched, then they might win...That's what happened against PSU and against us last year...

If I remember right, Rob was on Dosunmu most of the night and did a pretty good job on him...Armaan probably gets the assignment tomorrow, and I think he'll do a good job...

I think we'll be in this one the whole way, and might just take it...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Very true...Last year, they shot 24 FTs to our 12...We our rebounded them, and had 10 offensive boards...I watched them against Penn St, and they were sloppy and played very little defense...

BUT, if the let Cockburn camp in the lane, travel when he gets the ball, and swing those massive shoulders until all the defenders have been dispatched, then they might win...That's what happened against PSU and against us last year...

If I remember right, Rob was on Dosunmu most of the night and did a pretty good job on him...Armaan probably gets the assignment tomorrow, and I think he'll do a good job...

I think we'll be in this one the whole way, and might just take it...

If I'm Archie that's who I put on Ayo. Let Armaan do his thing with occasional double when he drives. Or possibly Galloway too. Get Ayo irritated as he's shown recently he can lose his cool. 

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Brunk is badly missing.  

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Lander on Miller and Lander gets some more PT this one.  Lander couldn’t guard Ayo, but if he’s asked to guard a freshman who is only one year older than him - that seems a lot better mentally than having to guard an All American who is 4 years older.    

Silver lining/glass half full outlook: We’ve reacted well after each poor performance or loss this year, and have yet to lose twice in a row. If you were told before the season we would go 1-1 against NW and Illinois, which one would you pick to win against? I think I’d take Illinois because it would be a great resume building win. Let’s go win!

49 minutes ago, Coach1K said:

They looked pretty darn good against PSU.

Offensively they did...against a terrible defense...defensively, the Illini didn't look so hot...

Penn St isn't a good team and it was a tie game with 14 minutes to go...Illinois went on a little run, and the Nittany Lions threw in the towel...

Did I miss something last year where Brunk was this B1G powerhouse center who dominated underneath?  Did he get better and more minutes as the year went on?  I know having a big body to absorb fouls is helpful, but i am trying to remember how good Brunk really was?  Am i the only one who thinks he got worst as the season went on and was dominated most games by B1G bigs underneath?  And i am asking honestly here.  I remember a couple games where he had big numbers but i didn't think he was that impressive.  Am i that far off base?

I think we actually match up with them fairly well. Rob, for all his flaws, is a great defensive pg and should hopefully give Ayo a hard time. TJD vs Cockburn will be an interesting matchup, and playing on the road with no crowd isn’t as much of a disadvantage. Last game was incredibly disappointing but I’m intrigued to see if this team will bounce back. 

Remember the 1984 game at Illinois?  It was the freshmen and Uwe. Knight sent a message and got a ton of attention for it.   

How cool would it be if Rob and Al were benched?  As in they don’t play at all.  Maybe you don’t need to do it now against Illinois, but if this continues much longer, I’d love to see it.  

I think there would be value to rolling with more competitive, tougher kids with better motors.  Maybe there will be some freshmen mistakes but I’d love to see the young guys get extended play.

Lander, Franklin, Galloway, Thompson and Trayce   

Leal, Geronimo, Hunter off the bench.  

49 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Did I miss something last year where Brunk was this B1G powerhouse center who dominated underneath?  Did he get better and more minutes as the year went on?  I know having a big body to absorb fouls is helpful, but i am trying to remember how good Brunk really was?  Am i the only one who thinks he got worst as the season went on and was dominated most games by B1G bigs underneath?  And i am asking honestly here.  I remember a couple games where he had big numbers but i didn't think he was that impressive.  Am i that far off base?

Your question is valid. For this team, it just comes down to giving TJD and Race a breather.  That’s all.  And it allows IU to play the same way.   Without him, the offense is adjusted to accommodate other personnel. He’s not Shaq nor Oden, but he’s a reliable body, smart and consistent. 

Archived