2022 Class Rankings and Discussion

Leathernecks

This is fun especially compared to the days when we were the only Power 5 offer for half or more of our recruits (and some of the others would only have an offer from us and someone like Illinois). 

The transfer portal is also looking good. Hopefully we can stay relatively injury free and have a turnaround season in spite of yet another brutal schedule (in regards to the schedule I just looked and our crossovers are home opener vs NW and @NE which is a lot better than starting @IA this year).

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

So they paid that kid 3M?

Gotta wonder if there are rules around coaches and their private investments? With coaches making so much money and then also guys like Deion and Penny Hardaway, Jerry Stackhouse, etc., in basketball, you'd have to think many of these guys invest in various company's. 

What is to stop a coach who has an investment in a company working with that company to offer specific recruits deals for going to their school. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

That's the word. Is what it is....and I have zero problem with some of these guys cashing in if they find someone willing to pay it. 

Edit-I will say that maybe the best path to millions is proper coaching/development over the next 3 years but if the kid thinks he'll get that from Deion and still earn this $ so be it.

Deion better deliver or this could be over in a few years for the elite talent.

Edited by Seeking6

I just have to wonder about the effect on his development going against that level of competition.   Unless it was agreed he would go there for one year, then transfer to one of the elite FBS programs, you would have to think this is a big gamble.  Plus, other than social media, how the heck is that kid gonna get the kind of exposure to deliver ROI?!  Guess we'll see.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Gotta wonder if there are rules around coaches and their private investments? With coaches making so much money and then also guys like Deion and Penny Hardaway, Jerry Stackhouse, etc., in basketball, you'd have to think many of these guys invest in various company's. 

What is to stop a coach who has an investment in a company working with that company to offer specific recruits deals for going to their school. 

Gotta wonder if Deion can coach football better than Penny can basketball.  Hmmm...I'm in the wait and see camp right now...or seeing is believing perhaps another way of putting it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Barstool Sports is reportedly behind the reason the #1 player in the class Travis Hunter flipped from FSU to Jackson St.....$3M. New world gang! 

Have to imagine it’s gonna be tough for this kid to shine at Jacksonville State at CB. Opposing teams will avoid throwing in his direction. I’d be willing to bet he’ll be transferring to a power 5 school in a year or two. Unless you’re a QB this kinda move doesn’t work in football but I’m shocked there’s not more of this in basketball. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Have to imagine it’s gonna be tough for this kid to shine at Jacksonville State at CB. Opposing teams will avoid throwing in his direction. I’d be willing to bet he’ll be transferring to a power 5 school in a year or two. Unless you’re a QB this kinda move doesn’t work in football but I’m shocked there’s not more of this in basketball. 

I will cheer harder for a kid to succeed that goes HBCU than a kid that goes to Duke or Kentucky, that is for sure.  

• Like 3

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Is it that much different than getting bought to go to a traditional power?  

Hopefully more money flows into these schools and they can compete on the national stage.  

Nope, it's not at all. I guess I don't see a difference between this and what people don't like about Duke and Kentucky.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I will cheer harder for a kid to succeed that goes HBCU than a kid that goes to Duke or Kentucky, that is for sure.  

Worked for Walter Payton and Jerry Rice right? I know those are two cheap examples on my part...but if a kid has the talent he'll get to the league. Shoot...nobody knows where Cooper Kupp went to college but all he's doing is putting up historical numbers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

PLEASE SAVE THE MONEY. He shouldn't touch that cash (most of it) until he moves on to the next stage of his life. Same with rookies in pro sports, it seems like a lot of money until you blow it all and never make much again. It can go really fast if you're not smart and just start buying houses. I pray to baby Jesus these kids get financial help and put the $$$ into a trust or something. This won't be any different than rookies blowing all their money before they play their first game. They're in major debt before they get their first paycheck. 

• Like 5