2022 Class Rankings and Discussion

Leathernecks

I know we have our bowl game in a week, and we still have some spots to fill on the 2021 class, but I can't help but be excited by what we can do with the 2022 class.  It has to be one of the better in state classes in recent memory.  I think this section I took a screenshot of will be the biggest thing for our class.  How many of these 5 can we get (not counting Durant since I don't know anything about him).  If we can get at least 2 or 3 of them, that would be a hell of a start to the class.

Anybody have any recruits they think we have a good shot with?  

image.thumb.png.8ba95a7392bf64084930093e14d19145.png

Edited by Leathernecks
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for starting this thread Leathernecks.   Top 3 guys we seem to have a shot with that I would love to land are Strickland,  Mullen, and Cooper. 

Obviously Curry would be a game changer, possibly from day 1. Does anyone know if there is even a slight chance here, or is IU out of consideration?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

Thanks for starting this thread Leathernecks.   Top 3 guys we seem to have a shot with that I would love to land are Strickland,  Mullen, and Cooper. 

Obviously Curry would be a game changer, possibly from day 1. Does anyone know if there is even a slight chance here, or is IU out of consideration?

I would put Moore in my top 4. I'd love to get some more highly ranked offensive linemen. I'd love Jackson too, but with McCulley a year ahead of him, not sure he'll want to come here.

There was some talk about Curry in a thread on the basketball board, but don't remember which thread. I would guess he'll end up at OSU. Maybe @Jackson Kellogs can provide some more insight here.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 7:05 AM, Leathernecks said:

I would put Moore in my top 4. I'd love to get some more highly ranked offensive linemen. I'd love Jackson too, but with McCulley a year ahead of him, not sure he'll want to come here.

There was some talk about Curry in a thread on the basketball board, but don't remember which thread. I would guess he'll end up at OSU. Maybe @Jackson Kellogs can provide some more insight here.

Couldn’t agree more about Moore. Huge ranking and having an interior O lineman like that can really help the run game and keep the middle of the pocket clean in the pass game. I have felt that the middle of the offensive line is too overlooked by fans.  It can really make the run game go.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

On 12/26/2020 at 7:05 AM, Leathernecks said:

Yes http://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/index.php?/profile/700-jackson-kellogs/ played at Center Grove and is tuned in regarding Curry.   He said in that other thread that OSU will be tough to beat.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yes http://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/index.php?/profile/700-jackson-kellogs/ played at Center Grove and is tuned in.  He said in that other thread that OSU will be tough to beat.  

Curry is one of those guys that I don't even really think about for our recruiting class.  I don't know if we're on that level quite yet.  I think we've definitely moved our ceiling up the last couple seasons, but there's a big jump to get a recruit in the top 100.

A guy like Strickland is a perfect example of how much we've moved up.  A few years ago, I would have laughed if someone said we had a legit shot with a top 200 guy like him.  Now, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we got him.  I think it might still take another year or two of being good to have a legit shot with some of those top 100 guys like Curry.

I think it is probably hard with in state guys.  It really hasn't been until the last 15 months or so that we've really been good.  We had a couple solid years before last year, but I would imagine a ton of in state guys grew up thinking Indiana sucks.  It might take another year or two to really move past that.  We're definitely getting there.  For this year's high school freshmen, we've had 5+ wins every year since they've been about 10.  That is how we'll really start getting in with a guy like Curry.  Keep proving ourselves as the #2 team in the state.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Curry is one of those guys that I don't even really think about for our recruiting class.  I don't know if we're on that level quite yet.  I think we've definitely moved our ceiling up the last couple seasons, but there's a big jump to get a recruit in the top 100.

A guy like Strickland is a perfect example of how much we've moved up.  A few years ago, I would have laughed if someone said we had a legit shot with a top 200 guy like him.  Now, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we got him.  I think it might still take another year or two of being good to have a legit shot with some of those top 100 guys like Curry.

I think it is probably hard with in state guys.  It really hasn't been until the last 15 months or so that we've really been good.  We had a couple solid years before last year, but I would imagine a ton of in state guys grew up thinking Indiana sucks.  It might take another year or two to really move past that.  We're definitely getting there.  For this year's high school freshmen, we've had 5+ wins every year since they've been about 10.  That is how we'll really start getting in with a guy like Curry.  Keep proving ourselves as the #2 team in the state.

For us to consistently compete in the big ten Curry is the type of recruit we have to start getting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For us to consistently compete in the big ten Curry is the type of recruit we have to start getting.

To regularly compete with OSU, I would agree, but I think we can compete with anybody else in the B1G with the top of our class having guys around 200 nationally, and only a couple guys outside the top 1000.  And when I say compete with OSU, I mean regularly line up and go toe to toe.  Have a game we win, or one that the lead goes back and forth.  Have that happen almost yearly.  I think our coaches are good enough that we can find and coach up our talent to compete with everybody else, but OSU just has so much talent.  I would love to get recruits like Curry and start to move closer to competing with them.

• Like 1

Just now, HoosierKix said:

Gotcha, thanks for that. I don't really trust Rivals rankings in my personal opinion which is why I was confused. Thanks

You trust the service that had Whop as the 199th WR in his class? Or Fryfogle the 243rd WR? Or Micah McFadden the 1986th OVERALL player in his class? 

I don't think any recruiting service is worth a hill of beans. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You trust the service that had Whop as the 199th WR in his class? Or Fryfogle the 243rd WR? Or Micah McFadden the 1986th OVERALL player in his class? 

I don't think any recruiting service is worth a hill of beans. 

Very very true, but I think 247 hits more then it misses. It's all personal opinion, plus 247 has a lot more of scouts working for them and people searching to look at players than Rivals does. Just my opinion that I trust 247 more, but at the end of the day ranking is just a number. What they put on the field is what truly matters and either way Mcculley looks like he's going to be a great college QB

2 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

Very very true, but I think 247 hits more then it misses. It's all personal opinion, plus 247 has a lot more of scouts working for them and people searching to look at players than Rivals does. Just my opinion that I trust 247 more, but at the end of the day ranking is just a number. What they put on the field is what truly matters and either way Mcculley looks like he's going to be a great college QB

I think he has Penix arm and Lewis speed/elusiveness. He is a good basketball payer too on the #1 team in 4A. He doesn't score a lot of points, but he starts does the dirty work. Obviously he wants to win. No reason for a D1 athlete in a different sport, to play basketball and be a role player, if they didn't care about winning. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think he has Penix arm and Lewis speed/elusiveness. He is a good basketball payer too on the #1 team in 4A. He doesn't score a lot of points, but he starts does the dirty work. Obviously he wants to win. No reason for a D1 athlete in a different sport, to play basketball and be a role player, if they didn't care about winning. 

Absolutely, he seems to just have the winning attitude and is just an athelete. I don't think his arm is as talanted as Penix, but close.

1 minute ago, HoosierKix said:

Absolutely, he seems to just have the winning attitude and is just an athelete. I don't think his arm is as talanted as Penix, but close.

Ehhh... I saw him throw one 52 yards on a rope against Avon this year. We'll see if his deep out route is as talented as MP. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ehhh... I saw him throw one 52 yards on a rope against Avon this year. We'll see if his deep out route is as talented as MP. 

I didn't see him live, so I trust your opinion better than mine! Either way he has a tremendous arm, just curious to see the polish of it on some of those deep routes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Penix deep out route, the timing and the strength of it.. is very, very impressive. 

The one he threw to Fryfogle against I think MSU where he just threaded it right past the defender by inches and then fryfogle broke free for another like 10 or so yards was just absolutely beautiful!!

• 2 weeks later...