Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

5-4, 0-2...maybe they'll cancel the tournament again.

Could be 1-6 like UK. That said it won’t matter we likely won’t be going. That isn’t me being negative...I think we are a solid team...but it’s going to be hard to win enough games. Maybe we get 9 teams in...that still leaves 5 out.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I get what everyone is saying about players needing to do there job but once again IU basketball is letting teams go on massive scoring runs with no answer.  This is a pattern over 4 years, that to me points to the coaches not the players.

Also while I wasn’t sure Trace should have still been on the bench after that timeout I can live with that but AF clearly was the hot player and yet it seemed like the team was not doing anything to get him the ball.  Why no plays to get him open like we have seen the last few games.

Tired of the entire team just disappearing for entire chunks of games.  Still time to right the ship, I liked that Rob didn’t start today.  That needs to stay and maybe sit AD to start next game.  The next couple games will be big for a lot of reasons.

Is it on coaching when that scoring run includes two missed layups and two wide open missed 3's by a junior and senior starting guards? I'm not trying to be an Archie apologist, because at times it is on him, but that drought at around the 8-7 minute mark included some wide open missed shots, as well as Geromino running to the middle of the paint when his guy had the ball on the top of the key and hit an wide open 3. 

Those are player breakdowns, not coaching breakdowns. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Is it on coaching when that scoring run includes two missed layups and two wide open missed 3's by a junior and senior starting guards? I'm not trying to be an Archie apologist, because at times it is on him, but that drought at around the 8-7 minute mark included some wide open missed shots, as well as Geromino running to the middle of the paint when his guy had the ball on the top of the key and hit an wide open 3. 

Those are player breakdowns, not coaching breakdowns. 

Unfortunately it’s been 4 years of droughts. Is it always the players?  Or is it a combination of both maybe

7 minutes ago, Indykev said:

5-4, 0-2...maybe they'll cancel the tournament again.

For now, that sounds like a good solution. Doesn't matter how strong BIG is. This team has to be 7th or above to get into the tournament. But there are not many teams we can beat. If the perennial bottom feeders in NW and Rutgers are doing well, who can we beat? 

The difference?

During crunch time, their offense consisted of getting the ball to Dosunmu and letting him go one on one, and we couldn't stop him...

We ran a pretty good offense, got open looks  but couldn't hit an open shot. Rob missed 3 from the corner, Al missed 3 from the wing, Race and TJD missing in close. 

That's the difference in this league...if your guys answer the bell at crunch time like Ayo and Audige did, you win...if your guys don't, you lose...

7 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Mostly a well coached game. Some head scratchers at times but mostly the guys didn’t hit open shots and gave up some wide open threes late.

Fun game to watch even though we lost. Like the tempo

I agree. It was a very well coached game and it was fun to watch. Unfortunately down the stretch Illinois made plays and IU didn't. I was fairly happy with IU's performance and it was nice to see Archie switch up the lineup and bench some guys. 

At a macro level though I really like Archie, but this can't be where we are in year 4. We're just not good enough. Our talent isn't good enough. I'm guilty of sometimes minimizing losing recruits, but the fact of the matter is that IU doesn't have elite talent, and Archie has missed more often than not lately. 

I'm not saying we don't have enough talent to win games, but IU doesn't have elite talent. We don't have a perimeter player on the roster that is a sure fire round pick. We actually don't have a player on the roster that is a first round pick. Lander maybe has the potential, but he's not there yet. 

1 minute ago, addictedtoIU said:

For now, that sounds like a good solution. Doesn't matter how strong BIG is. This team has to be 7th or above to get into the tournament. But there are not many teams we can beat. If the perennial bottom feeders in NW and Rutgers are doing well, who can we beat? 

I’ll have to see if Collins team continues this but Pikell has been building this for the last 4 years. He’s a good coach

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

At a macro level though I really like Archie, but this can't be where we are in year 4. We're just not good enough. Our talent isn't good enough. I'm guilty of sometimes minimizing losing recruits, but the fact of the matter is that IU doesn't have elite talent, and Archie has missed more often than not lately. 

This

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The difference?

During crunch time, their offense consisted of getting the ball to Dosunmu and letting him go one on one, and we couldn't stop him...

We ran a pretty good offense, got open looks  but couldn't hit an open shot. Rob missed 3 from the corner, Al missed 3 from the wing, Race and TJD missing in close. 

That's the difference in this league...if your guys answer the bell at crunch time like Ayo and Audige did, you win...if your guys don't, you lose...

This is what each of the last two games came down too, and at least in this game the offense got IU great shots, the players didn't convert. 

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Unfortunately it’s been 4 years of droughts. Is it always the players?  Or is it a combination of both maybe

4 years of droughts when we aren't making shots.  Its really that simple.... you can say its Archie and recruiting,  as his first class is not living up to what we thought.  I dont think its player development either. Franklin has made a huge jump from year 1 to 2, and the freshman are gaining traction.  My biggest bitch about Archie is he over committs to the older guys. He did it with Smith, and now its Rob and Al...

10 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I get what everyone is saying about players needing to do there job but once again IU basketball is letting teams go on massive scoring runs with no answer.  This is a pattern over 4 years, that to me points to the coaches not the players.

Also while I wasn’t sure Trace should have still been on the bench after that timeout I can live with that but AF clearly was the hot player and yet it seemed like the team was not doing anything to get him the ball.  Why no plays to get him open like we have seen the last few games.

Tired of the entire team just disappearing for entire chunks of games.  Still time to right the ship, I liked that Rob didn’t start today.  That needs to stay and maybe sit AD to start next game.  The next couple games will be big for a lot of reasons.

Good post.  NW went to their guard time after time and they took over the game. Today ILL rode Kofi for awhile till ayo got hot, then rode him.  Down the stretch I wish arch would run set after set for TJD or AF, unless someone else has the hot hand. 

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Can't disagree with you there. It is not good that this is where IU is at in year 4 of Archie's tenure. I really like him and I'm pulling for him, but as someone else posted a few posts ago, this is an average program right now. That's it, IU is average and that can't be acceptable in year 4 following 3 other average years. 

2 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

if they at least cancel it, we can pretend we made it in like last year...

Archived