Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree. It was a very well coached game and it was fun to watch. Unfortunately down the stretch Illinois made plays and IU didn't. I was fairly happy with IU's performance and it was nice to see Archie switch up the lineup and bench some guys. 

At a macro level though I really like Archie, but this can't be where we are in year 4. We're just not good enough. Our talent isn't good enough. I'm guilty of sometimes minimizing losing recruits, but the fact of the matter is that IU doesn't have elite talent, and Archie has missed more often than not lately. 

I'm not saying we don't have enough talent to win games, but IU doesn't have elite talent. We don't have a perimeter player on the roster that is a sure fire round pick. We actually don't have a player on the roster that is a first round pick. Lander maybe has the potential, but he's not there yet. 

Illinois head coach is in year 4 too.  His record there is 54-52. Would you trade coaches?  I would.

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

if they at least cancel it, we can pretend we made it in like last year...

And then TJD declares for the draft, right? My god, is this the new norm? I know a lot of IU fans have refused to accept the low expectations for a long time, and I am one of those too, but is it really time to start realizing we're not much better than a decent mid-major program? 

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

IU somehow managed to put together a team with no size and no shooting... Almost impressive honestly.

Our 3pt shooting actually hasn't been bad. For some reason we have numerous guys that can't finish around the rim. 

IU shot 38% from 3 but just 39% overall.

1 minute ago, Milehi Fan said:

Illinois head coach is in year 4 too.  His record there is 54-52. Would you trade coaches?  I would.

No, I'm not that impressed with Underwood. I'd rather have Archie.

Literally the only reason Illinois is any good is that Ayo and Cockburn came back. That's not coaching, that's luck. IU would look like this if Langford was still on the roster (the same recruiting class as Ayo). 

We had our chances and had a chance to win the game with 5 minutes to go.  Going into the game most on here did not give us a chance to even compete today so that part where we competed is good.  Problem is that we missed 3 wide open 3's and Race missed a bunny right under the basket.  We had Franklin just dribble off his foot bringing the ball up the court.  The worst part is that TJD did not show up today and played afraid.  He does not shoot the ball but just throws the ball up to the rim hoping the ball goes in.  There are spurts where we actually run an offense and it looks good and gets open shots but we go to long of stretches where we just are stagnant on offense.

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

No, I'm not that impressed with Underwood. I'd rather have Archie.

Literally the only reason Illinois is any good is that Ayo and Cockburn came back. That's not coaching, that's luck. IU would look like this if Langford was still on the roster (the same recruiting class as Ayo). 

Always going to be luck in guys coming back.  But at the end of the day, one team is ranked and the other is one game over .500.  Give me the ranked team that completes every game.

1 minute ago, Milehi Fan said:

Always going to be luck in guys coming back.  But at the end of the day, one team is ranked and the other is one game over .500.  Give me the ranked team that complete every game.

Well we will see how UI is next year when they will lose 2 senior starters and Kofi and Ayo.  I guess the two seniors could come back if they want.

2 minutes ago, Milehi Fan said:

Always going to be luck in guys coming back.  But at the end of the day, one team is ranked and the other is one game over .500.  Give me the ranked team that complete every game.

Meh, it's one season. Underwood can't do this consistently. He got lucky, and to be honest I don't think Illinois is even really that good. Illinois will be right back to where they usually are next season. 

Just now, Milehi Fan said:

And, sadly, so will we.

Maybe if TJD leaves. Maybe Archie will get lucky like Underwood has and TJD will come back.

But regardless, Underwood is not the answer. I'm not saying he's the answer, but I think Archie is a better coach, just hasn't had the same luck. 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Our 3pt shooting actually hasn't been bad. For some reason we have numerous guys that can't finish around the rim. 

IU shot 38% from 3 but just 39% overall.

Armaan Franklin 5-6... Players not named Armaan Franklin 2-12.  Not gonna win many Big Ten games with only one legit shooter and two legit bigs.

20 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Thomas Bryant left after 2 years and got a $25M contract.  Trayce is gone.

There is nothing that he can learn in college that he can’t in the nba. While he is sitting in class and taking finals he could be working with shot coaches and working against nba caliber competition instead of practicing against walk ons.

13 minutes ago, Milehi Fan said:

You would trade for Underwood? Haha....his stops at Stephen F, KState, Ok St suggests you don't care about rules. Shame on you for choosing that user name if you want to believe in rule breakers.

Just now, Between2Halls said:

When I watch this team I am stuck between frustration and optimism. Frustration because they just cannot seem to put it all together yet. Optimism because I see what is being put together. My biggest question is whether this will come together or completely unravel. Only time will tell. 

Wow, this post sums up the way I feel perfectly. 

Others have said it and I agree, that you can see the culture and style of Archie's guys coming together this season. I really like Franklin, TJD, Galloway, and you can see the potential with guys like Lander and Geronimo and even Leal. I actually like Archie's guys the last two classes and you can see it coming together. 

But with that said, it's year 4 and we're still waiting for it to come together, the overall talent level isn't there, and IU is still very much as average team which is frustrating. Frankly, I can see it coming together, but it's just taking too long for this level and the pay that comes with it. 

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

No Lander in the second half. I thought he played a little better in the first half, so was surprised. It probably didn't help him that Phinisee seemed to come alive for a stretch in the second half. 

Rob and Al make just enough plays to stay in the game...but no where near enough to win you the game. So head scratching.

Archived