Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

When I watch this team I am stuck between frustration and optimism. Frustration because they just cannot seem to put it all together yet. Optimism because I see what is being put together. My biggest question is whether this will come together or completely unravel. Only time will tell. 

The problems is this has become the norm. There is not 1 team on our schedule that I feel we have a sure win.  Thats sad.

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

No, I'm not that impressed with Underwood. I'd rather have Archie.

Literally the only reason Illinois is any good is that Ayo and Cockburn came back. That's not coaching, that's luck. IU would look like this if Langford was still on the roster (the same recruiting class as Ayo). 

Best post of this thread!!!

Your post says it all....Also, IU’s defense is greatly improved from last year, Franklin is becoming a beast,... We’ve played 2 really good teams to start the BIGTEN...Durham and Phinesee have struggled shooting the last two games....

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

TJD needs to really work on his inside game where he can use his right hand.  Also needs to learn to have a reliable turn around jump hook or just face up and shoot.  I think posting up Race has a better turn around jump hook and better looking shot.

Said it in the game thread, but TJD's lack of developing even just a 12ft jumper killed IU today. Cockburn just sat in the paint and TJD didn't make him pay at all. It was shades of Zeller dribbling right into the meat of Cuse's zone in the that S16 game instead of being able to hit a mid-range jumper. 

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

Best post of this thread!!!

Your post says it all....Also, IU’s defense is greatly improved from last year, Franklin is becoming a beast,... We’ve played 2 really good teams to start the BIGTEN...Durham and Phinesee have struggled shooting the last two games....

Thanks, appreciate it! 

The problem is, Phinisee and Durham have shot poorly all season. 

Expected an L and we wouldn't compete ala NW game.

Pleased I was wrong and we actually had a chance to win just didn't execute.

Glad to see CAM finally set his stubborn attitude aside and changed the lineup.  O flowed much better with RP on the bench.  

Happy to see the FR get some PT.  Agree with Hoopster this should have been done since the start of the season.

Maybe we are only a middle tier team but at least with the changes today we were competitive, fun to watch, and actually had a chance for the W.  I'll take our improved odds going forward so long as we at least have a shot at winning.  

Agree that long term  we need an upgrade in size and shooting to get where want to end up.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Said it in the game thread, but TJD's lack of developing even just a 12ft jumper killed IU today. Cockburn just sat in the paint and TJD didn't make him pay at all. It was shades of Zeller dribbling right into the meat of Cuse's zone in the that S16 game instead of being able to hit a mid-range jumper. 

He doesn't even face up to make someone play him honest. I am all for him throwing up 15 footers all game his shot is not terrible for sure

The team plays hard, but there are too many players who lack the mental toughness and IQ to win. The problem is these players are typically the upperclassmen. We keep waiting on some guys to hit the next level and it’s obvious it’s not going to happen. I think the new guys are what we’re ultimately after, but Archie might not get the opportunity to win with them because he keeps trying these older guys who aren’t showing up. Now it makes sense why we haven’t been winning recruits this year.

I know Ayo Dosunmu is good...really good, but I thought Armaan would do a good job on him...I'd seen Armaan be up to the challenge defensively every game...

Down the stretch, Ayo was too much player for Armaan to handle...and I was a bit disappointed there...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I know Ayo Dosunmu is good...really good, but I thought Armaan would do a good job on him...I'd seen Armaan be up to the challenge defensively every game...

Down the stretch, Ayo was too much player for Armaan to handle...and I was a bit disappointed there...

Ayo is going to be an NBA all-star within the next 5 years.  

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wow, this post sums up the way I feel perfectly. 

Others have said it and I agree, that you can see the culture and style of Archie's guys coming together this season. I really like Franklin, TJD, Galloway, and you can see the potential with guys like Lander and Geronimo and even Leal. I actually like Archie's guys the last two classes and you can see it coming together. 

But with that said, it's year 4 and we're still waiting for it to come together, the overall talent level isn't there, and IU is still very much as average team which is frustrating. Frankly, I can see it coming together, but it's just taking too long for this level and the pay that comes with it. 

Completely agree. I want this to turn and go in the right direction so badly. IU is not on par with elite level recruiting and that is bothersome. How long will that take? Really not sure. Am I willing to wait? Sometimes I wonder what choice I have. 🤷‍♂️

Just now, IUFLA said:

It just seems like Ayo coast through the first 30 minutes of the game and when it is game time he takes over.  I think he only had 12 points until that 14-0 run and ended up with 30

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

He doesn't even face up to make someone play him honest. I am all for him throwing up 15 footers all game his shot is not terrible for sure

Yeah, he basically allowed Cockburn to just sit in the paint and it especially hurt us on the second half. 

It's a little disappointing that neither TJD or Race have developed a reliable spot-up jumper that they're confident in. I know Race has hit a couple 3's, but he's not confident in his shot either.  

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, he basically allowed Cockburn to just sit in the paint and it especially hurt us on the second half. 

It's a little disappointing that neither TJD or Race have developed a reliable spot-up jumper that they're confident in. I know Race has hit a couple 3's, but he's not confident in his shot either.  

At least race has a jump hook he can go to

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Ayo is going to be an NBA all-star within the next 5 years.  

No. He isn't. Nothing at all in his game suggests at the next level 18 of his 30 today would even go down vs NBA bodies.

I'm probably wrong though. Much like when I said Caleb Swanigan would never amount to anything in the league I was wrong there too. 

9 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Expected an L and we wouldn't compete ala NW game.

Pleased I was wrong and we actually had a chance to win just didn't execute.

Glad to see CAM finally set his stubborn attitude aside and changed the lineup.  O flowed much better with RP on the bench.  

Happy to see the FR get some PT.  Agree with Hoopster this should have been done since the start of the season.

Maybe we are only a middle tier team but at least with the changes today we were competitive, fun to watch, and actually had a chance for the W.  I'll take our improved odds going forward so long as we at least have a shot at winning.  

Agree that long term  we need an upgrade in size and shooting to get where want to end up.

You don't think we competed in the Northwestern game?

Just now, southsidehoosier said:

At least race has a jump hook he can go to

His jump hook has been money the last several games, but another frustration under Archie has been that IU has never had a big that could shoot. We haven't even had one willing to shoot. 

Part of what made Crean's good teams so good offensively were guys like Watford, Thomas Bryant, Max Bielfeldt, etc. being able to shoot and keep opposing bigger players honest. That opens the floor for your guards and wings to not only get to the basket but finish when they get there. 

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well we will see how UI is next year when they will lose 2 senior starters and Kofi and Ayo.  I guess the two seniors could come back if they want.

How do you think we will be if TJD does not come back and Brunk decides he has had enough?  And it is looking very unlikely we will have this year to point back to as "good".

We are starting to circle the toilet...

Archived