Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Surprised Race didn't take one 3 and he was open quite a few times

Agree. I actually think Illinois is fairly easy to beat if you have a big that can shoot. I love TJD but if you switch him out for Thomas Bryant you probably win that game, because would hit a couple 3's against a big sagging that far off. 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

How do you think we will be if TJD does not come back and Brunk decides he has had enough?  And it is looking very unlikely we will have this year to point back to as "good".

We are starting to circle the toilet...

Wasn't talking about IU but UI and their coach

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The difference?

During crunch time, their offense consisted of getting the ball to Dosunmu and letting him go one on one, and we couldn't stop him...

We ran a pretty good offense, got open looks  but couldn't hit an open shot. Rob missed 3 from the corner, Al missed 3 from the wing, Race and TJD missing in close. 

That's the difference in this league...if your guys answer the bell at crunch time like Ayo and Audige did, you win...if your guys don't, you lose...

Ding Ding Ding! 

This is today's best post. Either we don't have players good enough OR our players in general are soft. They're easily thrown out of their rhythm when they're shooting important shots of the game. 

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know Ayo Dosunmu is good...really good, but I thought Armaan would do a good job on him...I'd seen Armaan be up to the challenge defensively every game...

Down the stretch, Ayo was too much player for Armaan to handle...and I was a bit disappointed there...

He gives up like 2-3 inches and like 15-20 lbs. Armaan is really good defensively but you need someone with longer arms to stay in AD face. Ayo can just shoot over him when he gets into the lane. Honestly if Geronimo was a little more seasoned I think he could have handled the task.

18 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Expected an L and we wouldn't compete ala NW game.

Pleased I was wrong and we actually had a chance to win just didn't execute.

Glad to see CAM finally set his stubborn attitude aside and changed the lineup.  O flowed much better with RP on the bench.  

Happy to see the FR get some PT.  Agree with Hoopster this should have been done since the start of the season.

Maybe we are only a middle tier team but at least with the changes today we were competitive, fun to watch, and actually had a chance for the W.  I'll take our improved odds going forward so long as we at least have a shot at winning.  

Agree that long term  we need an upgrade in size and shooting to get where want to end up.

Not just directed at you because others in the thread are saying the same thing...but my word, year 4 and we are still doing this moral victory crap against a team whose coach started his job at the same time ours did.  Why on God's green earth is this considered a "moral victory" because we showed up and played hard?  In year 4.  At the price of over $3 million a year.  Give me half that and I will get you all sorts of moral victories at a bargain.

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You don't think we competed in the Northwestern game?

No I did not.  

Too many TO's

The Defense was really poor especially in the first half when we allowed them to get the double digit lead.  Also looked like we had no clue what to do when NW threw the Zone D against us. 

Granted we did reverse things at the beginning of the second half but then allowed Audige to go crazy at the end of the game after we had taken the lead.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

He gives up like 2-3 inches and like 15-20 lbs. Armaan is really good defensively but you need someone with longer arms to stay in AD face. Ayo can just shoot over him when he gets into the lane. Honestly if Geronimo was a little more seasoned I think he could have handled the task.

Ayo is 6'5 200lbs

Armaan is 6'4 195lbs

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Wasn't talking about IU but UI and their coach

I get that, but kind of hard to knock them when Indiana is looking to do bupkus this year with TJD...at least they are getting some run out of their good players.  We are on the way to wasting Romeo Langford and TJD in a 4 year time span.  That's impressively bad IMO.

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

How do you think we will be if TJD does not come back and Brunk decides he has had enough?  And it is looking very unlikely we will have this year to point back to as "good".

We are starting to circle the toilet...

This is the tough part of what is happening right now. I've said before I don't like where the program is, it's touch being this average in year 4, but I do like Archie and think he could be the answer. 

I really like our sophomore and freshmen classes and I think with them you can see the culture and style developing, and the pieces to build around. Those guys play much quicker offensively than what we've seen the previous 3 seasons. They push the pace faster and move the ball much, much better, and you can of course see the defense much improved. The culture seems to be developing. 

But with that said, the wins certainly haven't come yet, and the uneven play remains, and it's year 4. If we're still an 8th-10th place Big Ten team in year, then year 5 better be off the charts. 

So while I'm high on TJD, Franklin, Galloway, Lander, Geronimo and even Leal to an extent, what if this season ends poorly and then TJD leaves? I think with those two classes a returning TJD, and adding Parker and Duncomb, IU could be really good next season.

But, if TJD leaves that becomes much more difficult and then where are things at in Year 5 with Archie?

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I actually think Illinois is fairly easy to beat if you have a big that can shoot. I love TJD but if you switch him out for Thomas Bryant you probably win that game, because would hit a couple 3's against a big sagging that far off. 

Honestly...Trayce didn’t have his best game but that isn’t why we lost. Getting almost nothing from our 2/3 our starting backcourt lost it. We got a few plays here and there but for the most part they were invisible. We don’t need an all decade team to beat them. We just need one more guard to step up besides Armaan and the rest of our guys to finish a few more gimmies and not have empty possessions at the end of the game. We played well enough to win. Illinois didn’t play their best game...to think when they come to IU it will be any easier it won’t.

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know Ayo Dosunmu is good...really good, but I thought Armaan would do a good job on him...I'd seen Armaan be up to the challenge defensively every game...

Down the stretch, Ayo was too much player for Armaan to handle...and I was a bit disappointed there...

It wasn't just Franklin on him, I think Phinisee spent plenty of time letting him score, too. Wasn't Phinisee the one that dive for the ball with the UI shot clock at 3 seconds leaving Ayo open to drain the 3?

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Honestly...Trayce didn’t have his best game but that isn’t why we lost. Getting almost nothing from our 2/3 our starting backcourt lost it. We got a few plays here and there but for the most part they were invisible. We don’t need an all decade team to beat them. We just need one more guard to step up besides Armaan and the rest of our guys to finish a few more gimmies and not have empty possessions at the end of the game. We played well enough to win. Illinois didn’t play their best game...to think when they come to IU it will be any easier it won’t.

I don't know, tough to win when your best player goes 3-for-13 and gets pretty much squarely outplayed by the opposing teams good player at your position. 

Just now, go_iu_bb said:

It wasn't just Franklin on him, I think Phinisee spent plenty of time letting him score, too. Wasn't Phinisee the one that dive for the ball with the UI shot clock at 3 seconds leaving Ayo open to drain the 3?

Yes he was...but I think most of the damage was against Armaan...

10 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

No I did not.  

Too many TO's

The Defense was really poor especially in the first half when we allowed them to get the double digit lead.  Also looked like we had no clue what to do when NW threw the Zone D against us. 

Granted we did reverse things at the beginning of the second half but then allowed Audige to go crazy at the end of the game after we had taken the lead.

Yet, it was a 2 point game with under 3 minutes to go...

Chase Audige hit shots under duress...big shots...I think he hit his last 5 in a row...

The league is seeing Northwestern is a good team...they have size (Beran, Nance, Young) shooting (Kopp, Buie, Berry, Audige) and they play a pretty good defense.

If we hadn't competed, they would have ran us out of the gym...

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't know, tough to win when your best player goes 3-for-13 and gets pretty much squarely outplayed by the opposing teams good player at your position. 

Oh no doubt...but Trayce did so many other things. His defense was pretty darn good. He made a few huge plays when they were going to put the game out of reach. I’m more disappointed in our backcourt then anything. 

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m more disappointed in our backcourt then anything. 

Other than Franklin, me too...

And again today, Al had 28 minutes, Rob had 17 and didn't start...

I don't know what Archie is seeing that has Al getting that much more playing time, but I'd like to hear why...

53 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

You would trade for Underwood? Haha....his stops at Stephen F, KState, Ok St suggests you don't care about rules. Shame on you for choosing that user name if you want to believe in rule breakers.

I will change my name ASAP and be certain to get your approval prior to making the change.  Want to make sure you feel my forum name accurately reflects my values that you seem to know so well.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not sure if its accurate, but saw a stat on Facebook that Phinisee was -14 in his 17 minutes. 

I saw -13 on one box score but either way it’s not good and he hasn’t been good. The problem is IU didn’t have a single player that wasn’t a negative in that stat. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not sure if its accurate, but saw a stat on Facebook that Phinisee was -14 in his 17 minutes. 

What were Al's numbers? Did it say?

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Might be time for Khristian to start and Rob to reign things in if he gets too out of control.

Archie started Galloway in Rob's spot today...

Maybe replace Al with Khristian...

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

TJD needs to really work on his inside game where he can use his right hand.  Also needs to learn to have a reliable turn around jump hook or just face up and shoot.  I think posting up Race has a better turn around jump hook and better looking shot.

He can go sit the bench for a year making millions and work on those shots 24/7 with no class to worry with. We are 9 games into his 2nd year and he hasnt been taught those here. We run no pick and pops for him everything is on the low blocks.

8 minutes ago, Milehi Fan said:

I will change my name ASAP and be certain to get your approval prior to making the change.  Want to make sure you feel my forum name accurately reflects my values that you seem to know so well.

Don't need my permission for a thing. Sorry it came across that way. If anyone knew who Mile was understood how much he despised Illinois....let alone Underwood for his indiscretions at every step in his career. 

My apologies. Thought you would know as an advanced member. 

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

He can go sit the bench for a year making millions and work on those shots 24/7 with no class to worry with. We are 9 games into his 2nd year and he hasnt been taught those here. We run no pick and pops for him everything is on the low blocks.

He was in pick and pops all game long and had that shot all night, he just has no confidence and hasn't proven he can make that shot. 

Archived