Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

He can go sit the bench for a year making millions and work on those shots 24/7 with no class to worry with. We are 9 games into his 2nd year and he hasnt been taught those here. We run to pick and pops for him everything is on the low blocks.

Sometimes it's about something more than the money...

Garza came back because he saw that with the team Iowa had, they could do something special...

If TJD comes back next year, and personally I think he's just about in the situation Garza was as far as the NBA goes, I hope he sees what a special group they could be...even if Joey and Al move on, I'd say we would have to be B1G favorites...

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I saw -13 on one box score but either way it’s not good and he hasn’t been good. The problem is IU didn’t have a single player that wasn’t a negative in that stat. 

In Phinisee's defense, I didn't see any other players +/-, just saw someone post his. 

40 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I get that, but kind of hard to knock them when Indiana is looking to do bupkus this year with TJD...at least they are getting some run out of their good players.  We are on the way to wasting Romeo Langford and TJD in a 4 year time span.  That's impressively bad IMO.

Don't you think if we still had Romeo we would be ad good ad UI is this year.

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

you arent replacing a senior with a freshmen that cant guard your mom.

A senior who's not getting it done...

As RMK once remarked, "ass, meet bench." 

And I've seen Lander's on the ball defense be actually pretty good at times...as good as Al's, I'll tell you that...he does get lost in the scheme though...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Sometimes it's about something more than the money...

Garza came back because he saw that with the team Iowa had, they could do something special...

If TJD comes back next year, and personally I think he's just about in the situation Garza was as far as the NBA goes, I hope he sees what a special group they could be...even if Joey and Al move on, I'd say we would have to be B1G favorites...

Garza came back Because he was going in the 2nd round.because he cant play defense either.

• It felt like a missed opportunity today.  I thought the game was there for the taking.  
  • I don’t know if anyone has access to the analytics, but I’d love to see our data when Rob and Al are in together.  I just feel like the offense especially stagnates when those two play together.   I’m sure IU’s analytics people have that info.  I’d love to see it.  
  • Kudos to Franklin.  He’s playing exceptionally well.  He’s obviously working on his game hard.  Look at the variety of ways he scored.  That doesn’t “just happen.”  You can see the work.  I mean, he was on the move, and hit mid-rangers.  Hit threes, drove.  I think there was a turnaround in there.  You look at some of the guys who are the same players they were two years ago and you would like to put up Armaan as exhibit A of commitment.  He has worked on the full repertoire.  What a great kid.  
  • I think we have three first rate starters in Race, Trayce, and Franklin. These guys have it all.  They are separating themselves more and more.  
  • As much as Durham is struggling, there is a useful player in there somewhere, if used right.  He should not be dribbling up top.  He should get on the wings and be a catch and shoot guy.  If we minimize him dribbling, he can hit some shots.  
  • Until late, I liked our defense.  We dictated the pace and forced Illinois out of its comfort zone.  That’s a plus.  We let it slip away late though.   
  • I liked Archie’s rotation today.  No reason to play Rob and Al as much as he has.  In fact, I wouldn’t play them together unless we have to because our offense dies and their defensive intensity is hit or miss.  I’d crank up Franklin’s minutes.  Galloway, Geronimo, Lander can get minutes.  Leal too.  
  • As we saw today, nobody in the B1G is so scary that we need to wet the bed for any particular game.  If we get into the right mindset we can win games.  We saw it today, in theory.  
  • I liked the sense of urgency today.  I didn’t see the same thing against NW.  I saw NW against Ohio State.  They are fine but we should have beaten them.
  • Honest question.  What if Archie just has the wrong guards?  He glommed onto Rob and Al, but what if instead he had two tough minded, competitive guards who got better and better?  I just don’t see Rob and Al as first division starting guards.   If that’s the real issue, and certainly Archie is part of that for counting on them, but he could be a capable coach. 

5 minutes ago, Indykev said:

By the way a senior that plays like Al would have been gone a long time ago with Knight.

Why would you say that because I remember plenty of guys who stayed 4 years that did not meet expectations.  I remember Charlie Miller as one guy who stayed 4 years who did not get a whole lot better or how about Richard Mandaville.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Don't need my permission for a thing. Sorry it came across that way. If anyone knew who Mile was understood how much he despised Illinois....let alone Underwood for his indiscretions at every step in his career. 

My apologies. Thought you would know as an advanced member. 

Fully aware of Ken’s despise for UI.  And it had no bearing of why I chose this name.  I admired how he never talked down to members over the years with all his many posts.  But thanks for the history lesson!

18 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:
  • Honest question.  What if Archie just has the wrong guards?  He glommed onto Rob and Al, but what if instead he had two tough minded, competitive guards who got better and better?  I just don’t see Rob and Al as first division starting guards.   If that’s the real issue, and certainly Archie is part of that for counting on them, but he could be a capable coach. 

I liked your entire post, but wanted to highlight this part. While I'm disappointed with the results to this point, especially 4 years into Archie's tenure and I'm growing impatient, but your point above is why unless there is a grand slam out there somewhere, I'd like to see IU stick it out with Archie. 

I really do think he's a good coach, though I do realize something has just seemed off since he got here. But, you can see with these younger guys, especially the guards/wings that things are changing to an extent. 

I really like Franklin and Galloway, and you can see the potential with Lander. I've also felt that Leal has played well in terms of his floor game in limited minutes and we know he can shoot. 

I see a lot of potential with that group and I also see four guys that while in the same system as guys like Phinisee, Durham, Devonte Green, etc., play that system much, much differently. With the freshmen and Franklin the pace is much quicker, the confidence is better, the ball movement and tempo is better. You can clearly see the difference. 

You can see the culture developing, and I'd like to see that play out under Archie with those guys. Unless there is a homerun out there willing to come, it would be a shame to not let that group develop together.

But all of that said, there has to be some translation into wins and it needs to come quick. It's going to be difficult to get momentum if IU flames out in the conference again this year. Can Archie recover from a 4th straight year finishing towards the bottom of the Big Ten?

At some point it has to turn into wins and begin to click. But again, I'd love to see this sophomore and freshman class have a chance to develop under Archie and see what we can do. 

26 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not gonna read through this entire thread. What I saw was CAM having his team playing hard. CAM taking a T to try to sway the momentum. And sometimes, the other team is just better. #11 for the Illini is an All-American and did for his team what numerous Hoosier AA’s have done in the past. 

Bad time for a T.  Illianoys just turned the ball over to IU. Then the T, which allowed illanoys two free throws and the ball back

31 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’d crank up Franklin’s minutes.

There's not really much room to increase those. He has only 3 games under 30 minutes this year and one of those was 28 minutes. The other 2 under 30 games were both blowout wins. 1 game were he played all 40. Last 3 games are 36, 37, and then 32 today.

7 minutes ago, BDB said:

Bad time for a T.  Illianoys just turned the ball over to IU. Then the T, which allowed illanoys two free throws and the ball back

Never a great time for a T but Illinois was all over our backs and nothing called.

CAM gets criticized for being too passive, then when he stands up for his guys, he gets criticized as well.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t 

7 minutes ago, BDB said:

Archived