Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

11 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Totally agree. I think I’m going to go dormant for a bit on this forum that I’ve enjoyed so much. I feel like too many posters are searching for the negatives and aren’t willing to see or acknowledge any positives, and it just becomes exhausting at times. My words get twisted when I back my claims up with Kenpom statistics and it just gets old. I’ll be rooting for this team because I really like these guys, and I like our coach and want to give him every opportunity to make this program as successful as possible. I think this coach can do it and I’m excited to watch this young core continue to develop this year. 

Don’t let the negativity get you down! 

Here’s the constant — when IU loses there will be negative posting. It just goes with the territory. Then we’ll win and some will be silent while others enjoy it. Don’t sweat it!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

What were Al's numbers? Did it say?

Archie started Galloway in Rob's spot today...

Maybe replace Al with Khristian...

I wondered what happened. I missed the first 5 mins as my child decided she was hungry...I mean really?! Couldn’t even wait til the first tv timeout lol.

28 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Totally agree. I think I’m going to go dormant for a bit on this forum that I’ve enjoyed so much. I feel like too many posters are searching for the negatives and aren’t willing to see or acknowledge any positives, and it just becomes exhausting at times. My words get twisted when I back my claims up with Kenpom statistics and it just gets old. I’ll be rooting for this team because I really like these guys, and I like our coach and want to give him every opportunity to make this program as successful as possible. I think this coach can do it and I’m excited to watch this young core continue to develop this year. 

Same man. Same. 

31 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Because Kenpom statistics don’t mean crap if you aren’t winning games 

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Why do you continue to use the word “we”? 

I honestly cannot remember a post you have made that is favorable towards CAM or IU.

That’s cause CAM sucks.  And supporting him isn’t helping IU basketball. 

32 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Come back in a few days after our next win.  Lots of people disappear, only few are man enough to come here and eat crow.  

I have doubts and frustrations.  I've said for years that CAM needed to bring in a start now level player.  Instead he tried playing coach whisperer with Devonte, whiffed on a few guards, and now are rolling it back with Al.  God bless him, he tries hard and has improved.  

Maybe this transfer comes in on a freaking mission, Lander gets aquatinted to how physical the game is and they surprise like heck in 21. 

Cheers to that.  

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Understand that...I was responding to @dgambill saying Ayo had 2 or 3 inches and 20 lbs on Armaan... 

Ah.  I was thinking you were justifying Armaan should have played him better.  Which he did for a large part of the game.  Which reminds me.  Didn't most people pregame talk about Rob guarding Ayo?  Armaan was working and breathing so hard.  That is a guy that is going to take a leap every year.  

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Illinois has got Illinois rolling.  I must be confused because I thought it was only year 4 for him and yet I am frequently told it’s ridiculous for a coach to have his team ready to go in less than 5 years 

54-52 is Underwood record at UI and is only 6-3 this year

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

54-52 is Underwood record at UI and is only 6-3 this year

It’s all about the trajectory.  Not the total.  His 3rd and 4th years are better than years 1 and 2.  Where as we have fallen down the big ten each season. 

We were above Illinois in years 1 and 2. And now we are staring up at them. 

They surpassed us last year and are better than us this year.  

So in what way have they not surpassed us?  

Is their coach on the hot seat.  Deluding yourself about our standing in the conference doesn’t change where we are. 

They had Ayo come back where we lost Romeo after 1 year.  If UI had lost Ayo after his freshman year like most thought they would not be as good as they are,  If we had a junior in Romeo still on our team i think we would be right there with the.

50 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Just finished watching.  We played tough for most of the game.  The difference between the two teams was pretty clear - Ayo. 

That said in year 4 of Archie's tenure where is our Ayo?  Franklin is trying to be but not quite there.  Our other guards aren't even worth mentioning at this point. 

Its also frustrating to even entertain comments like "we competed with Northwestern and Illinois".   But I guess that's where we're at right now. 

Agree with most of what was said about the young guys playing together well.  The chemistry on both sides of the ball seems to work better with more of the Freshman and Sophs on the floor. 

Has anyone seen Race Thompson?  I thought he still played for us. 

Our Ayo is in the NBA (Romeo) same class and if Ayo left after his freshman year like a lot thought he would UI would not be that good.

37 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Don’t let the negativity get you down! 

Here’s the constant — when IU loses there will be negative posting. It just goes with the territory. Then we’ll win and some will be silent while others enjoy it. Don’t sweat it!

I think we will win the next two games

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s all about the trajectory.  Not the total.  His 3rd and 4th years are better than years 1 and 2.  Where as we have fallen down the big ten each season. 

Wrong because you are bitching about Archie yet his win total has went up every year

Better every year?  By what metric?  We have fallen in the big ten standings every year 

When you don't play balanced scheduled that doesn't come close to telling the entire story. Our BPI and Kenpom consistently have moved in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Had to miss the game, my dog is going through something we’re trying you figure out, at the animal hospital now. For others with dogs, you guys know how important they are to you, so a little perspective this is just a basketball game.

That said from a box score standpoint and reading comments here really impressed with AF’s game today - would love it if that’s to be expected going forward. And glad we saw a lineup tweak, that’s a start. Think we’ll win the next two then go from there 

So sorry about your doggo. They are family. 

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You've got to be kidding. Underwood is good, despite having a worse record because of trajectory but you completely if ore the trajectory with Archie?

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You've got to be kidding. Underwood is good, despite having a worse record because of trajectory but you completely if ore the trajectory with Archie?

His downward trajectory?  No I’m not ignoring that at all 

We were above Illinois and 6th in the conference. Last year we were below them and 11th 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

IN THE BIG TEN

Jesus Christ you Archie supporters live in a different reality. 

You live in a different reality if you haven’t seen the improvement from year to year. Record be damned. Sure, we’d all love to keep moving up the Big10 standings and win every single game, but to simply ignore how stupid tough the Big was last year and this year is beyond short-sighted. Just like you can’t look at total wins because of the cupcakes, you can’t solely look at Big10 record every year either. Look at the constants that @KoB2011mentioned. Our BPI and Kenpom have increased every year, and both measure all facets of the game. You non-CAM fans sure love to cherry pick what is most important. Sounds like wins are your only barometer. We were in the tourney last year (no doubt) after missing the previous two. We’re 9 games into one of the toughest schedules in college basketball and you’ve quit already? If we miss the tourney this year, then fine, but nobody expected CAM to come in and have a final four under his belt at the end of year 3. And who knows what would have happened last year. 

IN THE BIG TEN

Jesus Christ you Archie supporters live in a different reality. 

I am not an Archie supporter just like I wasn't  a Crean supporter bit I am a IU supporter.  This means I will support whoever the coach is until they are no longer the coach.  I would hope anyone who considers themselves a real IU fan would do the same thing.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Rob and Al make just enough plays to stay in the game...but no where near enough to win you the game. So head scratching.

That is exactly right! No one makes every play but winners, make them when game is on the line. This is a Hugh problem because the big Ten is so tough this year. Every game is going to come down to the last 5 minutes. If we can’t put the game away or hold on to the leads. Well it’s a long season! 

Archived