Shooting / Stewart

Bustout

i would argue that it could mess up chemistry/cause internal conflict, but not sure we're gonna win either way, so does it matter?  i guess i'll still say, yes it would matter because then we'd start not only losing, but playing ugly, selfish basketball.  then it looks like last couple years, but probably even worse.  

Last I saw it was undetermined whether he'd play this season or not. There's a few questions.

How close to being ready to play is he? A comment from Miller made it sound like Stewart isn't in playing shape. It's very likely he hadn't been practicing or his practices were more of the individual off season type. This is completely understandable and leads in to the next question about him for this season: his father (and coach) suddenly died not too long ago. Is he in a place mentally where he's ready to play? 

Then there's the whole new teammates, new coaches, and new system to learn. He's obviously very intelligent (BA And MBA in less than 4 years) but even then it might take more than a few weeks to really integrate into the team to the point he's ready to play.

I hope he can contribute this year but I won't be surprised in the least if he can't, nor will I think that it reflects badly on him in any way if not.

12 hours ago, Bustout said:

Any chance he suits up in January?  5-10 mins can’t hurt I imagine. Take some of Al’s minutes?

Al is a good player, and one of the few guys that talk on the floor.  That can't be underestimated and we saw yesterday lack of communication when he was out.

With Franklin becoming a lock down shooter, hopefully lanes will open for Al.

The kid gives it 100%

My humble opinion is that he is asked to do to much without having a pg on the floor. 

Rob is not a point, ball doesn't get pushed with him or move.  He hardly passes it in a shooters pocket, or up the floor on the phoneix.  

Lander, man, wish he would be given a run.  His D is struggling.

This is my long way of getting to Stewart- I think is a pg?  There are your minutes.

Wish the "kid" like Jordan G and Lander got more play.  There is something about them where you seen instincts that can't be taught.

Rayce, Trayce and Franklin need to be on the floor.  The other three spots will he a juggling act for playing time.  

59 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I missed that...what did Archie say?

"Our first priority is to get him settled in after Christmas and start the process of him returning full time as a basketball player."

I might be reading too much in to that comment but my guess is that Stewart is probably at an off season level of conditioning rather than in season. So I wouldn't expect him to play for a few weeks at the earliest.

32 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Al is a good player, and one of the few guys that talk on the floor.  That can't be underestimated and we saw yesterday lack of communication when he was out.

With Franklin becoming a lock down shooter, hopefully lanes will open for Al.

The kid gives it 100%

My humble opinion is that he is asked to do to much without having a pg on the floor. 

Rob is not a point, ball doesn't get pushed with him or move.  He hardly passes it in a shooters pocket, or up the floor on the phoneix.  

Lander, man, wish he would be given a run.  His D is struggling.

This is my long way of getting to Stewart- I think is a pg?  There are your minutes.

Wish the "kid" like Jordan G and Lander got more play.  There is something about them where you seen instincts that can't be taught.

Rayce, Trayce and Franklin need to be on the floor.  The other three spots will he a juggling act for playing time.  

I hear you. I don’t ever mind Al taking a spot up shot, but when he drives the lane through 7 people like Devonte, I want to break my remote. 

Given Geronimos wingspan, I wonder if he’ll start getting some more mins at the 4/5 to give TJD and/or Race a break. Essentially what Brunk would’ve done.  

Rob is still a head scratcher to me. His D is great.  He’s smart. He knows the offense.   

The combo of Al and Phin is bad right now.  Lander can take either of those mins, but agree - needs some work on D. 

18 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

"Our first priority is to get him settled in after Christmas and start the process of him returning full time as a basketball player."

I might be reading too much in to that comment but my guess is that Stewart is probably at an off season level of conditioning rather than in season. So I wouldn't expect him to play for a few weeks at the earliest.

Got it.  The whole chemistry thing would be my concern too - unless IU loses two guys to injury or something. 

6 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

This photo tells me playing shape is a term that can be taken MANY ways.  Lol

NBA-Twitter-Trolls-James-Harden-After-Warmup-Picture-Goes-Viral.jpeg

There was a picture of Steward on his IU visit and he definitely didn't look fat or overweight. I was talking about conditioning so I guess "shape" was a poor word choice.

13 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I guess when someone averages 40pts a game, in shape means something different lol. Plus this guy doesn't even know how to spell the word defense let alone play it

Defense is what he was on about having that 5th taco.  😏

But yes, when you score as many points in a game as some college teams, you get a little pass.  My point was to say that if Harden can still drop 40 a night looking like the winner of a Kendrick Perkins look-a-like contest that Kendrick Perkins was in, then Stewart could come in off the couch and give us as many minutes as Lander or Jordan have given us the last few games.

And im a fat guy so theres no fat shaming goin on here.  I would deffinately eat that 5th taco! 😂

21 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

True, but......put him in for a quick out of bounds play, take him out the next whistle. He may not be full court ready, but he may help in the half court time to time. Everyone knows by know he is labeled a shooter. At the same time, when he’s out there, the attention may free up someone for an open shot. Just another wrinkle every once in a while. 

5 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I was a bit surprised to see players' twitter and instagram addresses on the official IU Athletics website. We're truly living in a new era. 

The school is promoting it too and encouraging follows.   Definitely a new era, but gives people a semi-connection to the team. 

Archived