Where do you stand & what do you do?

KoB2011

Just now, IU Scott said:

For someone who doesn't think about IU basketball you spend a lot of time on a IU message board

The majority of my posts are on other topics. This message board not crappy basketball for many years helped me me through so dark times. I can tell you 1000 times I enjoy this board more than the product that CAM puts on the court.  

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Billingsley99 said:

The majority of my posts are on other topics. This message board not crappy basketball for many years helped me me through so dark times. I can tell you 1000 times I enjoy this board more than the product that CAM puts on the court.  

If you don't care about IU basketball then I wouldn't think you would waste your time on this board.  I would think you would be one that could put this in perspective that the outcome of a game shouldn't effect people.

Just now, IU Scott said:

If you don't care about IU basketball then I wouldn't think you would waste your time on this board.  I would think you would be one that could put this in perspective that the outcome of a game shouldn't effect people.

I wholeheartedly put it in perspective.  Before I die I would like to see IU be relevant again. I want my kids to have some enjoyment from the program that brought great joy to me. Trust me when I say I really don't care and I have lots of apathy. I used to watch and DVR getting game because I love good basketball.  Now days I barely watch the game let alone DVR and rewatch it. This product TO me does not bring joy or entertainment. This message board does bring enjoyment so I spend time here. Go check all my messages over the years. Very few on weekends or after 600. That's family time but during the day I like this board. Not that I owe you or anyone an explanation 

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I wholeheartedly put it in perspective.  Before I die I would like to see IU be relevant again. I want my kids to have some enjoyment from the program that brought great joy to me. Trust me when I say I really don't care and I have lots of apathy. I used to watch and DVR getting game because I love good basketball.  Now days I barely watch the game let alone DVR and rewatch it. This product TO me does not bring joy or entertainment. This message board does bring enjoyment so I spend time here. Go check all my messages over the years. Very few on weekends or after 600. That's family time but during the day I like this board. Not that I owe you or anyone an explanation 

For me anytime U can watch IU basketball it is a good thing.  I rather watch a loss than not have an IU game to watch.  I don't enjoy losing but I hate it when college basketball is over and can't wait until the next season

Also you said it with being family time and would think that after you have a family that it would change how you view things like sports.

I guess I am different where I still get excited for every game win or lose and will still watch every game I can.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For me anytime U can watch IU basketball it is a good thing.  I rather watch a loss than not have an IU game to watch.  I don't enjoy losing but I hate it when college basketball is over and can't wait until the next season

Also you said it with being family time and would think that after you have a family that it would change how you view things like sports.

I guess I am different where I still get excited for every game win or lose and will still watch every game I can.

I do have it all in perspective. I don't watch because I don't like the product. I find better things to do. That does not make me not like or want IU to be great because I do but.. I love scary movies but if I don't like it I do watch it again. I have been watching this scary movie far too long. If that makes me a bad fan then so be it. I want and expect more. That's just me.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I do have it all in perspective. I don't watch because I don't like the product. I find better things to do. That does not make me not like or want IU to be great because I do but.. I love scary movies but if I don't like it I do watch it again. I have been watching this scary movie far too long. If that makes me a bad fan then so be it. I want and expect more. That's just me.

The only real time I had any kind of apathy about IU basketball was during Sampson last year after the shot hit the fan.  Also the last couple of years of RMK I didn't enjoy the product.  I want to win as much as anyone but I don't lose my enjoyment of the game just because we are not winning championships.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The only real time I had any kind of apathy about IU basketball was during Sampson last year after the shot hit the fan.  Also the last couple of years of RMK I didn't enjoy the product.  I want to win as much as anyone but I don't lose my enjoyment of the game just because we are not winning championships.

Nothing to do with championships. I just dont enjoy this brand of basketball. I am just over seeing emotionless guys going through the motions. Let me ask you this. 1 word or.phrase to describe the Indiana basketball program.  What is it? We have no identity.  My word is inconsistent.  I don't like that. 

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Nothing to do with championships. I just dont enjoy this brand of basketball. I am just over seeing emotionless guys going through the motions. Let me ask you this. 1 word or.phrase to describe the Indiana basketball program.  What is it? We have no identity.  My word is inconsistent.  I don't like that. 

My way of thinking is of I turn back on the team when it is down I have no right to come back when we start winning big acting like I am this huge fan.

Also I don't really enjoy the brand of basketball we see at all levels of the game. I don't enjoy seeing the pick and role or the dribble drive.  I like basketball especially college so I have to put up with some of the things I don't enjoy

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My way of thinking is of I turn back on the team when it is down I have no right to come back when we start winning big acting like I am this huge fan.

Also I don't really enjoy the brand of basketball we see at all levels of the game. I don't enjoy seeing the pick and role or the dribble drive.  I like basketball especially college so I have to put up with some of the things I don't enjoy

We can agree to disagree on this. I don't think it's turning my back on them because I don't enjoy the product. As a coach for more than 20 years I learned that no matter how great we play you cannot be satisfied.  You have to find things to build on. I watch the game differently than many fans. I don't watch the ball I watch away from the ball I watch back side action etc.. what I have seen on the offensive end the last 4 years does not excite. We completely misused the best player since Eric Gordon to be here and we are not give TJD what he needs to lead us in the right direction. I was privileged enough to break down so much tape with Coach Knight and staff and that has scarred me as a fan I guess. I expect more. There is no reason in the world that for 4 years now we have no shooters. It's painful to watch. I was able to watch all the NW game and never felt like we are going to win this game. That is disappoint. 

18 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

So you are telling me if we were 9-0 playing this same style you still wouldn't like it.  I don't believe for a second it is about this brand of basketball but it is all about the win / loss catagory

Just now, IU Scott said:

So you are telling me if we were 9-0 playing this same style you still wouldn't like it.  I don't believe for a second it is about this brand of basketball but it is all about the win / loss catagory

Idk can't say since we aren't.  What I saw against Florida state I enjoyed more than our wins. Its not just about wins and losses. 

It's not just style. It's emotionless boring basketball. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I can tell you that when Crean was at IU and winning, there was a lot of concern over the brand of basketball he espoused.

Also I am a fan and watched the game as a fan and not like a coach.  I think some of the problem I have with this fan base is that they think they are the coach and not just a fan.  RMK spoiled us and we all expect all coaches to be like him but there will never be another RMK coming through the door.

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I can tell you that when Crean was at IU and winning, there was a lot of concern over the brand of basketball he espoused.

Even more concern with Sampson and the type of kids he had and he was winning.  That team was fun to watch but I hated all the off court junk as a fan we had to deal with

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Idk can't say since we aren't.  What I saw against Florida state I enjoyed more than our wins. Its not just about wins and losses. 

It's not just style. It's emotionless boring basketball. 

As long as we win I don't care if it is a boring style.  People think UVA and UW is boring but they win at a high level

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I just call them like I see them...the margin of error for this team is very small...Someone else pointed out how Butler specifically went at Jerome when he was in the game...We can't afford having a guy out there who'll score 3 but give up 6...

And though this is his second year playing, he has been on campus and around the program for over 3 years now...He can have all the confidence in the world, but if he doesn't know the playbook or where to be on each end of the floor, that's not something I think CAM can overlook...Most coaches I know will tell you they can live with the physical mistakes, but it's the mental mistakes that are hard to swallow...Couple that with the fact that Jerome's lateral quickness and strength (at least playing the 4 like we need him to currently) aren't elite, and I'd think he would try to capitalize of every advantage technique and the playbook could give him...

No, frankly it’s baseless to say he’s a three year guy, he could not even practice let alone play for a year. No problem with critiquing his mental mistakes but when you stand firm on calling him a 3 year guy that just takes away from credibility. He’s a redshirt playing his second year, as of course CAM has recognized. It doesn’t seem worthwhile to me to go back and forth here as it’s not going anywhere. Again I recognize the defensive mistakes and some metal errors (also committed by several players this past game), again, my point is the team needs offense, badly, as you can see most here are expressing their disappointment with our lack of scoring.
Jerome apparently still has a ways to go and maybe his minutes overall are appropriate for where he is, but we need to spread the floor better, our starting guards have not helped scoring or even assisting well, Al hasn’t gotten his outside shot to fall, Rob isn’t taking them, and we’re losing games for lack of a scoring punch. Cam needs to help guys not hinder them, and frankly the knuckle down my way or the highway thing ain’t working. Work guys in, get their game legs under them, criticizing them while we can’t score to me wasted breath 

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I prefer the current brand of ball infinitely more than Crean’s.  I never thought Crean’s style made any sense at Indiana.  

I was a defensive minded coach because I did not have the guys to out perform most of our opponents.  Once I got those guys I learned that great offense beats great defense if you work at it. My motto was the defense is always wrong. No matter what they do offense has a counter. At the end of the day it's the team that executes that wins. If I had to pick offense or defense I will take offense every time 

Just now, rico said:

I keep waiting for that switch to go on...just like it did for the '88-'89 team.  Thing is I have been waiting too long.

For me that year was RMK best coaching job at IU. That team had no business winning the conference that year with all the talent that was in the conference.

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am glad we have you as the gatekeeper of the fandom.  Seriously man, back off, Billingsley can be a fan any old way he pleases and you are free to do the same.  Your way is not the right way to be a fan.  It is your way to he a fan.  Nothing more or less.  (And that does not make your way wrong either, it just makes it right for you.)

Archived