QB Next Year

BeerBQ

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

Any idea who starts next year at Qb?  There will be 2 returners (Ramsey and Tronti) that should be solid. I’d at least heard good things about Tronti. Then Taylor and Penix are coming in. I’m curious what will happen. 

I get the feeling that Taylor will be moved to another position.

I like that Penix is enrolling this spring so he'll have the whole semester to learn the offense and work with the team. 

Without seeing 3 of the 4 options in games it's tough to know, but I'd go with Tronti.  I think he's a lot like Ramsey but with more potential. 

Taylor has potential at other positions, so he has to be really impressive to get the nod. I think he's talented enough it could happen.

I would go with

Tronti - 35%

Ramsey - 30%

Taylor - 20%

Penix -15%

I got some really good seats for free for the Rutgers game.  We were about 18 rows behind the IU bench. 

When the QBs would throw during warmups and timeouts, they were right in front of us.  I watched just to see what Tronti looked like.  I realize he wasn't doing game throws, but he seemed to have a hitch in his delivery.

It reminded me of Olidipo shooting a jump shot his freshman year.

5 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I like that Penix is enrolling this spring so he'll have the whole semester to learn the offense and work with the team. 

Without seeing 3 of the 4 options in games it's tough to know, but I'd go with Tronti.  I think he's a lot like Ramsey but with more potential. 

Taylor has potential at other positions, so he has to be really impressive to get the nod. I think he's talented enough it could happen.

I would go with

Tronti - 35%

Ramsey - 30%

Taylor - 20%

Penix -15%

Did Tronti redshirt? 

Its interesting to me that 3 of them are dual threat but Penix is listed as pro style. 

19 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

Maybe I’m crazy but I feel Penix will start in the Fall. Watching video oh him and the stats he posted were just phenomenal. He’s got a few mechanics to work through but he has the time to do it

No, you aren't crazy.  I feel that way too.  

I think it will be Ramsey.  The nice thing is that we have competition, and may the best man win.  We know that the staff loves Penix.  

I am going with Ramsey because the coaches obviously love him.  No, he's not going to throw a dart on an out pattern 20 yards downfield to the left sideline.  He doesn't have a rocket arm.  But, he's a gym rat, loves football and has a more advanced understanding.  He can move around and is pretty accurate.  You'd play a ball control offense with him.

I'm dying to know how Tronti is doing.  I will say that, when Ramsey was redshirting, there was a buzz about him.  Wilson named him scout team player of the week multiple times, as I recall.  I don't sense the same buzz with Tronti a year later.  But, I loved what he brought coming out of high school.

I haven't see Penix but his offer list is impressive as we previously discussed.  I looked at his numbers and I believe his completion percentage was not great.  There could be a variety of reasons for that, but accuracy is probably the first thing I'd look at.  He's got the advantage of a semester learning the system and getting acclimated to college, but Ramsey has a major head start.  Penix may be talented and maybe he blows us away.  But, without having seen him play, but knowing where Ram Tough is, I am going to speculate that Rammer has the edge.

Not taking anything away from Penix.  I am excited about him.  Love this quote by Coach.

"Tremendously excited about (Penix)," Allen said. "He's listed as a pro-style quarterback on paper, but that's not what he is. He's a dual guy. Really, really gifted athlete. Really good basketball player, could run and jump extremely well and has those qualities.

"He's going to come here and compete, and he'll be a mid-year guy. … Excited about his leadership and character. Really stuck out to me in this process. Our staff knew him before because of prior relationships and other places we've been. So really excited about him and what he brings to our crew."

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think it will be Ramsey.  The nice thing is that we have competition, and may the best man win.  We know that the staff loves Penix.  

I am going with Ramsey because the coaches obviously love him.  No, he's not going to throw a dart on an out pattern 20 yards downfield to the left sideline.  He doesn't have a rocket arm.  But, he's a gym rat, loves football and has a more advanced understanding.  He can move around and is pretty accurate.  You'd play a ball control offense with him.

I'm dying to know how Tronti is doing.  I will say that, when Ramsey was redshirting, there was a buzz about him.  Wilson named him scout team player of the week multiple times, as I recall.  I don't sense the same buzz with Tronti a year later.  But, I loved what he brought coming out of high school.

I haven't see Penix but his offer list is impressive as we previously discussed.  I looked at his numbers and I believe his completion percentage was not great.  There could be a variety of reasons for that, but accuracy is probably the first thing I'd look at.  He's got the advantage of a semester learning the system and getting acclimated to college, but Ramsey has a major head start.  Penix may be talented and maybe he blows us away.  But, without having seen him play, but knowing where Ram Tough is, I am going to speculate that Rammer has the edge.

Not taking anything away from Penix.  I am excited about him.  Love this quote by Coach.

JMHO.......Ramsey was inserted last year due to a lack of a running game.   Tronti and Penix can run as well, but they also can pass.  The key to me is how the running back situation sorts out.  

2 minutes ago, rico said:

JMHO.......Ramsey was inserted last year due to a lack of a running game.   Tronti and Penix can run as well, but they also can pass.  The key to me is how the running back situation sorts out.  

I really doubt Penix starts. He'd have to be almost unbelievably good for that to happen. Please remember.. Ramsey played a fair amount of this season:

Banged up

Without Thomas

Without Westbrook

Without Hale 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I really doubt Penix starts. He'd have to be almost unbelievably good for that to happen. Please remember.. Ramsey played a fair amount of this season:

Banged up

Without Thomas

Without Westbrook

Without Hale 

This is true and Ramsey did one hell of a job in my opinion, but I think Rico is correct that they played him because he knew the system the best and was the best option but in my opinion with how debord likes his offenses I think Tronti or Penix will battle and Penix will win out. He's a good football player and has a good arm and good athlete. He has some mechanics with his arm he definitely needs to work on, but I see him competing for it

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Tronti was scout team player of the week four times this year. Also offensive scout team player of the year.

From the little I've heard over the last year, it seems like Allen really likes Tronti.

Guys, it is a crap shoot. It is hard to understand the mental and physical toll the game takes on a big ten qb. Becoming the qb may be the easiest part, handling it afterwards is the tough part. Tronti is logically the most likely because he is the better athlete currently on campus. Ramsey was not hurt nearly as much as has been stated, but you don’t want to destroy a kid’s confidence by benching him as a freshman, especially as a new head coach. Penix might take over at mid season depending on his development and maturity of the line, which has to be better, but Ramsey always has that emotional connection to Allen having grown up around their family. Ramsey had the luxury of Mack, Simmie, two TE’s at different times, and Luke. Luke and Water are back, the rest are gone. As usual, as fans, we overlook the key ingredient and look at the qb. But this season will again boil down to the o-line and the back. If the backs come back 15 pounds heavier things will be ok. If the line is heavier and more athletic, then this is a running team and it should not matter who is the qb. With the losses on defense we have to be able to control the ball running or it will be a long season. The way PU ran on us, with a well seasoned defense on our side, I hope the greatest focus is on the defensive side of the ball or this gets ugly fast without a Charleston southern on the schedule. 

5 hours ago, HoosierKix said:

This is true and Ramsey did one hell of a job in my opinion, but I think Rico is correct that they played him because he knew the system the best and was the best option but in my opinion with how debord likes his offenses I think Tronti or Penix will battle and Penix will win out. He's a good football player and has a good arm and good athlete. He has some mechanics with his arm he definitely needs to work on, but I see him competing for it

I don't see a true FR starting over those two. 

Archived