QB Next Year

BeerBQ

I thought our offensive line struggled last year to say the painful truth.  That obviously makes it tough for the qb, but also the push in the run game was weak too.  

Having said that, I think our line will take the biggest step forward this year and I believe will be a strength.  It’s not just Linder, although he’s a nice addition.   You hopefully get a healthy year out of Brandon Knight who I think has NFL athleticism, and Coy Cronk grows into a bigger body.  Wes Martin is a rock in there.  That leaves one spot where you need a kid to make a big jump.  Maybe it’s Stepaniak or Nworah at guard if Knight stays at tackle.  If Knight kicks inside to guard, then maybe an OT makes a jump like a Delroy Baker.  Stover is another lineman who is young and has potential.  

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/22/2018 at 8:52 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

I thought our offensive line struggled last year to say the painful truth.  That obviously makes it tough for the qb, but also the push in the run game was weak too.  

Having said that, I think our line will take the biggest step forward this year and I believe will be a strength.  It’s not just Linder, although he’s a nice addition.   You hopefully get a healthy year out of Brandon Knight who I think has NFL athleticism, and Coy Cronk grows into a bigger body.  Wes Martin is a rock in there.  That leaves one spot where you need a kid to make a big jump.  Maybe it’s Stepaniak or Nworah at guard if Knight stays at tackle.  If Knight kicks inside to guard, then maybe an OT makes a jump like a Delroy Baker.  Stover is another lineman who is young and has potential.  

The line should make massive strides this season. We will have a to wait to see the backs. Everyone knew the line was rough at best last year, but ‘‘tis should be their year. The last game, where Purdue did whatever the wanted against a defense that had been built up, that concerns me because we graduated a lot of people. I know Allen is supposed to be a guru, well we are going to find out soon. He built his stock taking over a worst in the world defense and brought them up, it is a lot harder going from where our defense was last year to the next level. This is going to be a very telling year for the program. But, bigger than that, if the football program takes a step back, and the basketball program struggled, I’m not sure the AD is part of the school when the football season ends. At some point the boosters are going to grow tired of average and get real tired of watching programs like Purdue pass them. 

I think that sometimes fans tend to protest too much too early !! Let's give Coach Allen his five years to turn this program around by recruting AND coaching up QUALITY players @!! I like ON PAPER the recruits Coach Allen and staff !! I am willing to wait and see if I can actually see that better performance on game days !! Let us not expect MIRACLES ovdernight ,vbg !! After all , we are talking about Indiana University Football here !! The powers to be have just recently begun to put together a Football Stadium with facilities more in keeping with the Big Ten Football powerhose programs ! The New and improved weight room and the entire North End Zone project was the first step !! The New Giant scoreboard in the South End Zone are was step # 2 !! Now the NEW South End Zone closing project is the third step ! I think recruits have been impressed with the STADIUM  , Weight ROOM , and Practice Field for inclement weather !! Patience is and always has been considered a VIRTUE  ! Come on Hoosier Nation , let's give Coach Allen and his Staff plenty of time to put it all together !! Again. I say , we've got to remember that we are fighting a history of negative football recruiting tactics by our competition ! I know it can be done at Indiana because I was in the Stands when IU beat Michigan and butthead Bo Schembachler[ hope the spelling is right,vbg] ! That was the year The Hoosiers also beat Ohio State !! let's give Coach Allen & Staff enough time  to see if they can bring that kind of success back to  Hoosier Land !!!! Go Hoosiers !

On 3/27/2018 at 1:02 PM, hoosiertildeath said:

I think that sometimes fans tend to protest too much too early !! Let's give Coach Allen his five years to turn this program around by recruting AND coaching up QUALITY players @!! I like ON PAPER the recruits Coach Allen and staff !! I am willing to wait and see if I can actually see that better performance on game days !! Let us not expect MIRACLES ovdernight ,vbg !! After all , we are talking about Indiana University Football here !! The powers to be have just recently begun to put together a Football Stadium with facilities more in keeping with the Big Ten Football powerhose programs ! The New and improved weight room and the entire North End Zone project was the first step !! The New Giant scoreboard in the South End Zone are was step # 2 !! Now the NEW South End Zone closing project is the third step ! I think recruits have been impressed with the STADIUM  , Weight ROOM , and Practice Field for inclement weather !! Patience is and always has been considered a VIRTUE  ! Come on Hoosier Nation , let's give Coach Allen and his Staff plenty of time to put it all together !! Again. I say , we've got to remember that we are fighting a history of negative football recruiting tactics by our competition ! I know it can be done at Indiana because I was in the Stands when IU beat Michigan and butthead Bo Schembachler[ hope the spelling is right,vbg] ! That was the year The Hoosiers also beat Ohio State !! let's give Coach Allen & Staff enough time  to see if they can bring that kind of success back to  Hoosier Land !!!! Go Hoosiers !

Recruits do not care about the facilities unless they are antiquated and Indiana’s were not. I heard more positive comments about the facilities of some of the lesser opponents facilities, from current players at the time, than I ever heard about the facilities at Michigan and Ohio. Besides, if we are competing against facilities then we still are behind Michigan and several others in the big ten, if that mattered. It really only matters to fans/boosters, unless it is just bad. As for Allen, he has been well paid and given the opportunity of a lifetime, he is owed nothing else and he was hired to win games with character and in a manner that reflects positively on the university. Long after Allen is gone the school and program will still exist and his job is to enhance the standing of the university......at least not be a negative. Same for the players past and present. It would be nice if fans were the same, but that rarely happens. But, if the program falls to losing games it should not, and the basketball program has taken hit after hit while Michigan and Purdue go far into the tournament, then it is time to rid the athletic programs of the AD and let fresh eyes look at the coaching in all sports. Alum or not, it is hard to say that IU athletics has done more than stay even since his hiring in 2009 and Enough time has gone by to evaluate the overall benefit of his hiring. And as a side note.......20+ years since IU beat Michigan so you are dating yourself.

Archived