QB Next Year

BeerBQ

3 hours ago, rico said:

How so?

How many successful football teams have true FR QBs? ... just doesn't happen much at all man. I like Penix, I really do.. his offers are excellent. Ramsey proved a lot this year though, and apparently Tronti certainly has their attention. 

Ramsey completed 65% of his passes on 205 attempts with 10 Tds and 5INTS. He is an effective runner and will do more of that next year. (More depth behind him). 

The most Sudfeld completed was 61% of his passes in a season, 63% for Chappell, 60% for Lewis. 

I don't believe he is some elite downfield passer, but he can absolutely throw 10 yd. Comeback, 3 step slant, and has some escapability. I still think some of you don't realize how big Westbrook and Hales injuries were.. teams absolutely did not respect Mack at all. The Michigan and MSU games would have both been Ws if we had either one of them. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How many successful football teams have true FR QBs? ... just doesn't happen much at all man. I like Penix, I really do.. his offers are excellent. Ramsey proved a lot this year though, and apparently Tronti certainly has their attention. 

Ramsey completed 65% of his passes on 205 attempts with 10 Tds and 5INTS. He is an effective runner and will do more of that next year. (More depth behind him). 

The most Sudfeld completed was 61% of his passes in a season, 63% for Chappell, 60% for Lewis. 

I don't believe he is some elite downfield passer, but he can absolutely throw 10 yd. Comeback, 3 step slant, and has some escapability. I still think some of you don't realize how big Westbrook and Hales injuries were.. teams absolutely did not respect Mack at all. The Michigan and MSU games would have both been Ws if we had either one of them. 

That is fair and I agree with you.  But it is still possible.  

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I am pretty sure Georgia is starting a freshman

13 hours ago, rico said:

It makes no difference.  What btown said about true starting FR QB's is absolutely true.  UGA and Bama are different animals than IU.  Hell, Peyton Manning didn't start as a FR.  

Yes he did, he might have started the opening game but he was starting by the first couple of games of his freshman year.

55 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes he did, he might have started the opening game but he was starting by the first couple of games of his freshman year.

Peyton was 3rd on the Vols depth chart to start the season.  Jerry Colquiitt was the starting QB the opening game.  In the first game he went down with a knee injury.  Insert Todd Helton, yeah the baseball guy, he went down with a knee injury I am gonna say game #4.  Peyton then took over for him.  And the rest they say is history.  It was all do to injuries.

15 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Yes, and Alabama started one last year.

Georgia and Alabama: great offensive lines, great WRs and run game. Check out the trio of RBs that UGA has this year.. their "#2" has 4000 yds and 35 tds in his career... their "#3" has 600 yds rushing. 

True FR QBs don't start much, so like I said.. he would have to be unbelievably good to start. (As those kids are at their respective schools). 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

True FR QBs don't start much, so like I said.. he would have to be unbelievably good to start. (As those kids are at their respective schools). 

I might add start the season as a starter.  I have been doing some looking off and on.  There just aren't many out there, but I know Phillip Rivers did.

Whomever starts for IU at Quarterback in 2018 - I SURE HOPE HE DOES NOT THROW 17 or more INTERCEPTIONS during his first season at IU  ! I'm hoping that is someone smart enough to not to try to throw passes into coverage and has the good sense [and courage] to take that darn PIGSKIN and take off running with it [ instead of throwing a (( censured)) interception] when the receivers are COVERED !!!

Antwan Randle El might have been a REDSHIRT Freshman his first season at Quarterback for the Hoosiers ?? However- Randle El passed for 927 yards and 11 TDS and RAN for another 837 yards and ANOTHER 10 TDS during his FIRST SEASON as QB  !! ( With only 11 ints) Not too shabby for a first year QB , Don't you think ?????? I'd like to see an IU QB who can BOTH run and PASS that ole PIGSKIN !! Don't know if we will ever get another one who was as good as 'Twan  was though !!!

On 12/24/2017 at 12:28 PM, btownqb said:

Georgia and Alabama: great offensive lines, great WRs and run game. Check out the trio of RBs that UGA has this year.. their "#2" has 4000 yds and 35 tds in his career... their "#3" has 600 yds rushing. 

On 12/24/2017 at 1:41 PM, rico said:

I might add start the season as a starter.  I have been doing some looking off and on.  There just aren't many out there, but I know Phillip Rivers did.

On 12/24/2017 at 7:22 PM, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I think the real issue with a freshman starter is the mental side of the game. They can certainly play, but if things go south you run the real risk of destroying a young players confidence and having a team lose faith in him. There are countless examples of freshmen coming in and starting too soon and never seeing the field again. Any coach who knows what he is doing will not start a freshman just because there is so little upside. Coaches at big programs like Bama and others can afford to do it because their overall support is so significant.

13 minutes ago, Payday said:

I think the real issue with a freshman starter is the mental side of the game. They can certainly play, but if things go south you run the real risk of destroying a young players confidence and having a team lose faith in him. There are countless examples of freshmen coming in and starting too soon and never seeing the field again. Any coach who knows what he is doing will not start a freshman just because there is so little upside. Coaches at big programs like Bama and others can afford to do it because their overall support is so significant.

I don't disagree with this line of thinking.. You have to agree those teams supporting casts are excellent though 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Whomever plays QB for The Hoosiers this season , I can only HOPE that he/they do not throw 25 INTERCEPTIONS in LESS THAN TWO FULL SEASONS ! I knew the most recent Bucket game was a loss after Lagow threw that interception on IU's first offensive play of the [ censured ] game ! I was so sure that IU was going to lose because of that [censured ] interception that I turned the damn game off and watched a movie !! Fact , sad FACT !!

7 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Whomever plays QB for The Hoosiers this season , I can only HOPE that he/they do not throw 25 INTERCEPTIONS in LESS THAN TWO FULL SEASONS ! I knew the most recent Bucket game was a loss after Lagow threw that interception on IU's first offensive play of the [ censured ] game ! I was so sure that IU was going to lose because of that [censured ] interception that I turned the damn game off and watched a movie !! Fact , sad FACT !!

Most people who don't understand QB play do blame all INTs on the QB. Smh 

On 3/14/2018 at 11:46 AM, hoosiertildeath said:

On 3/14/2018 at 7:40 PM, btownqb said:

Most people who don't understand QB play do blame all INTs on the QB. Smh 

Most people don’t understand, they just see what goes wrong. But what do you expect from someone who picks up trash on job sites, right? Of course, if someone actually knew the play and the route of the int against Purdue they might know the receiver was not supposed to go behind the defenders and poor ass coaching, yep coaching is required at the end of the year, causes a lot of problems that can’t be covered.

You can't even reason with HTD, which is odd for someone in his 70's. The comments are classless but not worth absorbing at all.

As for the subject here, I am curious about Penix's accuracy.  He may be talented in terms of tools but I think the jump will be big where you have to anticipate your throws, etc.  But, you never know since it's a competition.  I wouldn't put money on him, but let the best man win.

On 3/20/2018 at 12:50 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

You can't even reason with HTD, which is odd for someone in his 70's. The comments are classless but not worth absorbing at all.

As for the subject here, I am curious about Penix's accuracy.  He may be talented in terms of tools but I think the jump will be big where you have to anticipate your throws, etc.  But, you never know since it's a competition.  I wouldn't put money on him, but let the best man win.

The thing you can watch, that will determine the play next season, is the reps given in spring. Four qb’s are very difficult to give legitimate reps to in spring and if you try It will hurt for the fall. Really, three is the most you can rotate and with our depth right now we may only have legs to afford two in the quality rep rotation. With simmie leaving and Mack transferring it hinders the development of the qb at first. It is all numbers and percentages and while I understand Cobb and Mack, we could the above development could have really been enhanced if we had those experienced legs for spring. Younger guys will step up, it will just take them some time to get to that level.

On 3/21/2018 at 7:33 AM, BobSaccamanno said:

Good points.  I’m so happy the Big Ten Network shows our spring game (they did last year, anyway).  It gives us an opportunity to see how the qb’s look.  We have heard good things about Ramsey, Tronti, and Penix.  I’m very curious to get a good look at the latter two.  

It is the things that most can not see that really impact the long term success of a team. Do you have enough linemen to give the qb’s quality reps? Receivers? Quality Dbacks to throw against, etc. and after all that do you have enough time in the day. Practices are heavily regulated by the NCAA these days. Believe it or not, those regulations hurt teams like us because we need more time and reps to develope players because we do not get the three and four deep all stars so you have to develope them. You can get there, but it requires a nose to the grindstone attitude and it takes time. It helps if you keep coaches also.......well, at least some. Everyone sees the plays on Saturday but the truth is that most games are won or lost long before they take the field. In the last two years we fired a coach before a bowl game, brought in a coach that had never been a head coach, brought in an OC that was retiring because they wanted him out of Tennessee, lost a RB coach that is now in the nfl, gone through two strength coaches, etc, and we had a couple of bizarre player departures that I am still scratching my head about (mainly Mack and Patrick and a couple of others). All teams experience turnover, but teams who have the player side of the equation under control (the Ohio and Michigan’s of the world) have a very real advantage so we have to somehow eliminate some of the instability on our side to make up the difference.

Archived