Greg Tonagel

Bustout

16 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Has he ever been considered or has he wanted a D1 job?   Does he want to stay at IWU based on religious beliefs, comfort level, etc?

I have a friend whose son is a manger for the women's team there.  The talk there is he is happy at that level and is not looking to go anywhere.

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have a friend whose son is a manger for the women's team there.  The talk there is he is happy at that level and is not looking to go anywhere.

Thanks. I figured a program would’ve offered him by now and his choice would’ve been to stay.   

31 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Not a Bad record

20201227_161332.jpg

interesting.  i didn't know this story at all.  that is very cool.  something said for a guy who is willing to build something like this and stick with it.  i would love to see the Hoosiers change his mind!  can anyone else tell me more about him?  offense/defense?  calm/animated?  

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

interesting.  i didn't know this story at all.  that is very cool.  something said for a guy who is willing to build something like this and stick with it.  i would love to see the Hoosiers change his mind!  can anyone else tell me more about him?  offense/defense?  calm/animated?  

I recall on the old board people saying he was the best X and O coach in the state (around CTC tenure).   

When Archie was hired, people speculated if he would consider being on staff as an assistant.     

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know it might be hard for you to understand but not everyone is consumed with money and is their main priority.

Kinda like Mark Few. He’s happy - granted he’s making $1.8mm/year ... but he easily could’ve gone anywhere for double that.  

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

People really think an NAIA coach could come here and successfully transition? I mean, we're watching someone struggle going from the A-10 to the Big Ten. Not a knock on Tonagel, his record is impressive, but that's a tremendous leap and a totally different game. 

Glad someone said that

4 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

People really think an NAIA coach could come here and successfully transition? I mean, we're watching someone struggle going from the A-10 to the Big Ten. Not a knock on Tonagel, his record is impressive, but that's a tremendous leap and a totally different game. 

I was just curious if a school like, Illinois State or someone has reached out in the past. Just seems with so much success and if being a head coach at a D1 school was his priority, he would’ve left by now.  

I don’t think IU would hire him directly from IWU - too risky.  But if he can coach, he can coach.  I realize a lot more is involved for IU vs IWU (recruiting, etc.)

its not impossible ... look at Bo Ryan.  But really my question was around his priorities from those in the know. 

11 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Steve Alford?  Bo Ryan?

7 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I was just curious if a school like, Illinois State or someone has reached out in the past. Just seems with so much success and if being a head coach at a D1 school was his priority, he would’ve left by now.  

I don’t think IU would hire him directly from IWU - too risky.  But if he can coach, he can coach.  I realize a lot more is involved for IU vs IWU (recruiting, etc.)

its not impossible ... look at Bo Ryan.  But really my question was around his priorities from those in the know. 

Ryan did not go directly from D3 to UW but went to UW Milwaukee

25 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I don’t know about IWU, but my nephew wrestled for an NAIA school. Although he was a good student, he was an exception. The rep of NAIA schools is jock factories that recruit kids who would have little chance of getting accepted elsewhere 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

i'm really not sure.  a big part of me says you either got it or you don't.  i have a feeling this guy could get it done wherever he goes.  he doesn't play any gimmicks does he?  like zone pressing, run and gun every possession, etc.?  i really don't know.  i'm asking.  

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm really not sure.  a big part of me says you either got it or you don't.  i have a feeling this guy could get it done wherever he goes.  he doesn't play any gimmicks does he?  like zone pressing, run and gun every possession, etc.?  i really don't know.  i'm asking.  

Check this out:

https://iwuwildcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2020

And I thought this guy was plenty good enough to play at IU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Mangas

16 hours ago, Bustout said:

It's interesting Valpo didn't reach out when they had vacancies recently, considering he's an alum and he wouldn't have to move very far.

A move up to that level from IWU would make more sense before a jump to the meat grinder of a conference like the B1G.

9 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

It's interesting Valpo didn't reach out when they had vacancies recently, considering he's an alum and he wouldn't have to move very far.

A move up to that level from IWU would make more sense before a jump to the meat grinder of a conference like the B1G.

very true.  i'm sure that would likely be the path if he wants it.  i'm not sure a guy like this couldn't just jump to the grinder though.  

11 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

What vacancies?  The coach they got now has been there for 5 years and took over for Bryce.  

16 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Did they not reach out or were they just told no thanks early in the process?  

Archived