Greg Tonagel

Bustout

15 hours ago, rico said:

Check this out:

https://iwuwildcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2020

And I thought this guy was plenty good enough to play at IU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Mangas

Odd.  3 time naia player of the year.  Avg 26.9 last year as a jr.  

Duncan Robinson avg 17 at Williams, whatever the heck that is.  

On 12/27/2020 at 4:46 PM, IU Scott said:

I know it might be hard for you to understand but not everyone is consumed with money and is their main priority.

Money might not be someone's main priority in life, but that doesn't mean they might not consider changing jobs for a significant increase in pay. I'm perfectly happy at my current job, but if someone came along and offered me triple what I'm making now for a similar position, you're damn right I'd listen. That's money I could put back for my kids' college, a better retirement, etc etc. 

If someone offered me $20K more than I make now, I'd turn them down without listening. 

I'm not all about money, but I'm also not going to completely ignore a chance at what could be a lifestyle changing move either. 

Now, I know people are going to bring up Mark Few. He makes almost $2M a year. Not taking a job for $3.5M is understandable if he's happy where he is. Now a guy that may be making $200K....different story. $2M to $3.5M is a nice bump, but you're still in the same general lifestyle. $200K and $2M are different worlds 

8 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Money might not be someone's main priority in life, but that doesn't mean they might not consider changing jobs for a significant increase in pay. I'm perfectly happy at my current job, but if someone came along and offered me triple what I'm making now for a similar position, you're damn right I'd listen. That's money I could put back for my kids' college, a better retirement, etc etc. 

If someone offered me $20K more than I make now, I'd turn them down without listening. 

I'm not all about money, but I'm also not going to completely ignore a chance at what could be a lifestyle changing move either. 

Now, I know people are going to bring up Mark Few. He makes almost $2M a year. Not taking a job for $3.5M is understandable if he's happy where he is. Now a guy that may be making $200K....different story. $2M to $3.5M is a nice bump, but you're still in the same general lifestyle. $200K and $2M are different worlds 

Lots of money usually means lots more headaches.  But some like the challenge.  

18 minutes ago, rico said:

Lots of money usually means lots more headaches.  But some like the challenge.  

i mean if you're making enough money to comfortably live the lifestyle you want, you don't prioritize a raise as much obviously right?  so as a coach, there are a ton of things.  location...how does your family feel?... what are your coaching goals?... do you want to be the greatest coach in NAIA history?... do you want to get to the highest level you can?...do you want to be in a comfort zone?... administration... i get it if he's happy actually.  i just would bet that if he is that successful there, he could win at a higher level.  just have to figure out recruiting.  

On 12/27/2020 at 5:08 PM, TheWatShot said:

People really think an NAIA coach could come here and successfully transition? I mean, we're watching someone struggle going from the A-10 to the Big Ten. Not a knock on Tonagel, his record is impressive, but that's a tremendous leap and a totally different game. 

Apparently,  some are not familiar with the "Peter Principle"......................🙄

McHoop

1 minute ago, McHoop said:

Apparently,  some are not familiar with the "Peter Principle"......................🙄

McHoop

i just think a lot of things matter  could just anyone do it?  absolutely not.  if you have the right approach and have the "it factor," can get guys to try to run through walls for you, and you are just a winner?  if you can get the right recruiting pipelines or get a little lucky with recruiting?  if your system on O and D are not gimmicks, but translate to a higher level?  i'm not so sure it can't work.  

I know a lot about the culture in the athletic department and around campus at IWU.  It's Christ mission oriented.  CTC was ridiculed for posting scripture on his Twitter.  People made comments and debated about whether the state's highest paid employee should be using his platform to promote religion, etc.  

I speak as a one year track athlete, married to a 4 year track and cross country athlete, and sister in law is 4 year soccer player.  Still get the IWU magazine and there is actually a really good story in the most recent from one of their star players about the team coming together, regardless of color around the mission of Christ.  

Each sports team has traditionally taken a mission trip or done an extensive service project each off season.  Leaving a private christian school for a very public school would be a total change of life mission, not that he wouldn't have opportunity to impact lives, it would just be totally different, and potentially, yes, censored or at least put under microscope.  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I know a lot about the culture in the athletic department and around campus at IWU.  It's Christ mission oriented.  CTC was ridiculed for posting scripture on his Twitter.  People made comments and debated about whether the state's highest paid employee should be using his platform to promote religion, etc.  

I speak as a one year track athlete, married to a 4 year track and cross country athlete, and sister in law is 4 year soccer player.  Still get the IWU magazine and there is actually a really good story in the most recent from one of their star players about the team coming together, regardless of color around the mission of Christ.  

Each sports team has traditionally taken a mission trip or done an extensive service project each off season.  Leaving a private christian school for a very public school would be a total change of life mission, not that he wouldn't have opportunity to impact lives, it would just be totally different, and potentially, yes, censored or at least put under microscope.  

thanks for this info.  i wish he would come to IU.  i know most probably think i'm crazy, but hey.

After reading various high profile fanbase forums, I'm not surprised that a significant number of coaches are well-satisfied making less and avoiding the scrutiny and criticism that comes with the IU, UK or several other power 5 coaching jobs. Archie makes as much in a year or two as most of us make in a lifetime and yet, if I had all the ability in the world, I would not trade him places.  I completely get why coaches like Tonagel and Few have no interest in moving up the ladder.  They are likely at the point in life where more money is of no real interest to them...especially when it comes with a bunch of headaches.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I wish Mark Few would come to IU if we're wishing for things :)

Why stop there...might as well wish for Brad Stevens. 

As far as this coach goes. Sounds outstanding. Also sounds like he is perfectly happy and well placed. I would love to send my kid to play in that kind of environment someday. I think it comes down to does he aspire for a bigger platform a bigger test. Has he accomplished everything he wants and does he want a new challenge. As a person I admire knowing that the grass isn’t always greener and knowing what Gods calling for your life entails. That said you can also serve him wherever he sends you. I’m sure Tim Tebow or input another example has had those same decisions and choose to use the biggest platform they can to help promote their faith when taking another path would likely be easier or result in less obstacles. No one can know but Greg what God has laid on his heart. Sounds to me with his success he has had those opportunities and God has him where he wants him. Great story and glad people shared it with me! 

51 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Why stop there...might as well wish for Brad Stevens. 

As far as this coach goes. Sounds outstanding. Also sounds like he is perfectly happy and well placed. I would love to send my kid to play in that kind of environment someday. I think it comes down to does he aspire for a bigger platform a bigger test. Has he accomplished everything he wants and does he want a new challenge. As a person I admire knowing that the grass isn’t always greener and knowing what Gods calling for your life entails. That said you can also serve him wherever he sends you. I’m sure Tim Tebow or input another example has had those same decisions and choose to use the biggest platform they can to help promote their faith when taking another path would likely be easier or result in less obstacles. No one can know but Greg what God has laid on his heart. Sounds to me with his success he has had those opportunities and God has him where he wants him. Great story and glad people shared it with me! 

Completely forgot about him. Yes I wish for this

Archived