Penn State Post-Game Thread

KDB

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

Completely agree 

Yeah, I don't see how it's even a debate. The play worked, but players have to play and make decisions. Archie can't do it for them. We got our AA the ball in the paint near the rim. PSU wisely collapsed, so from there players have to make decisions and make playes. TJD tried to force it up to either finish or get fouled, it didn't work. 

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If Bob Knight was the coach whose team shot 57% from the field, we would be giving huge props to both coach and players.

That said, Knight would be really pissed about giving up 85 points.

Exactly. Have to wonder where we are as a fan base that 90% of the complaints are about offense. Our offense was really good tonight, granted PSU isn't a good defensive team. 

This game was close because of crappy defense and poor rebounding. 

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

We outshot them 57% to 48%. They had 9 more shots due to a 13-4 edge on Offensive rebounds. That is what made the game close. Glad we could close them out. TG is my player of the game and Race was the one who struggled the most. Got lost a few times on  D.

The one thing I wanted to see that didn’t happen in this game is Race RE-asserting himself on the offensive end. He has disappeared in games but had that big second half the other day, it’s like he’s still feeling his way with TJD so dominant. When Race goes full bore we’re a lot better. Hoping he gets more consistent, he’s fully capable 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Exactly. Have to wonder where we are as a fan base that 90% of the complaints are about offense. Our offense was really good tonight, granted PSU isn't a good defensive team. 

This game was close because of crappy defense and poor rebounding. 

Yeah I was disappointed in our turnovers. A lot of unforced turnovers against a poor defense and second chance points to a small team. We had some big break downs defensively but to me those other two things were the difference. They hit some tough 3s at difficult times...credit to them.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I know but still shouldn't dismiss a guy because he came from a smaller conference

Agreed.  A lot of teams are able to find hidden gems with these small conference transfers (grad or otherwise).  

IU needs to be plotting a strategy to lure Luke Brown from Stetson even though he has not played a game there yet.  The kid can play.  And, if IU is not his ultimate transfer destination, chances are he will go somewhere familiar and be a thorn in our side.  

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The one thing I wanted to see that didn’t happen in this game is Race RE-asserting himself on the offensive end. He has disappeared in games but had that big second half the other day, it’s like he’s still feeling his way with TJD so dominant. When Race goes full bore we’re a lot better. Hoping he gets more consistent, he’s fully capable 

Agree. Was hoping he would have developed his open jumper this year. He's back to not even looking at the basket from the perimeter. 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I was disappointed in our turnovers. A lot of unforced turnovers against a poor defense and second chance points to a small team. We had some big break downs defensively but to me those other two things were the difference. They hit some tough 3s at difficult times...credit to them.

I'll take 13 turnovers in a 45 minute game. You never like them, but 13 in an OT game isn't bad. Rebounding killed us.

As far as plays out of time outs...Plays are fine..I hate hate hate holding the ball and waiting...because this is College....if it’s the pros you expect your star to finish but in college I like to leave more time to foul or a second chance. Also we are just not good late in shot clock....it just doesn’t put pressure on the defense...they only have to defend for a few seconds and can over commit. Just my opinion and I’m not a coach so it might be a dumb one. Just rather get into my set right away unless it’s tied and we can hold for last shot.

Just now, dgambill said:

As far as plays out of time outs...Plays are fine..I hate hate hate holding the ball and waiting...because this is College....if it’s the pros you expect your star to finish but in college I like to leave more time to foul or a second chance. Also we are just not good late in shot clock....it just doesn’t put pressure on the defense...they only have to defend for a few seconds and can over commit. Just my opinion and I’m not a coach so it might be a dumb one. Just rather get into my set right away unless it’s tied and we can hold for last shot.

Completely valid. I find that frustrating as well. I didn't see it tonight, but in previous years I recall numerous times IU doing that while Archie screamed at them to get going. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'll take 13 turnovers in a 45 minute game. You never like them, but 13 in an OT game isn't bad. Rebounding killed us.

Most games yes but I just didn’t think the level of defense PSU was playing it was good. I mean poor man to man and a soft zone...maybe it was just the manner we made them..mostly unforced. Agree about rebounding.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

A lot of end the game situations are terrible in basketball today.  You don't see many plays run but you just put the ball in one guys hand and it usually leafs to a bad shot.  The other night the Pacers was up 1 and Tatum for the Celtics end up taking a step back 3 and missed.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

A lot of end the game situations are terrible in basketball today.  You don't see many plays run but you just put the ball in one guys hand and it usually leafs to a bad shot.  The other night the Pacers was up 1 and Tatum for the Celtics end up taking a step back 3 and missed.

It was so much better back in the olden days 

😁

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I'm a "dance with who brung ya" kind of guy. I've seen too many teams lose by changing their style of play in order to try to protect a small lead. 

Archived