Penn State Post-Game Thread

KDB

8 hours ago, madmax said:

Lol. Okay, put your money where your mouth is. I’ll put up $250 you put up $10. If IU wins another game you pay me $10 and if we don’t I’ll pay you $250.

deal?

Edit: No bet if season gets canceled lol

the more interesting bet would be, will we win more than 3 more the rest of the way?

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think we can ignore what it says about the team to lead for the first 39 minutes, give up the lead, then still find a way to win. 

Maybe we shouldn't have given up the lead, maybe we should have won by 10, but I'm not sure that last year we'd have recovered from blowing the lead to still get a win. 

Absolutely. And in OT, when the other guys basically had the momentum by erasing the lead to force OT. It takes real composure to pull that out. The team showed composure to get the W after being pushed to OT

9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The one thing I wanted to see that didn’t happen in this game is Race RE-asserting himself on the offensive end. He has disappeared in games but had that big second half the other day, it’s like he’s still feeling his way with TJD so dominant. When Race goes full bore we’re a lot better. Hoping he gets more consistent, he’s fully capable 

yeah  he's definitely greatly improved, but i think many got a little overly excited because of one game.  

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i am happy to just get the win, but seriously... a home win in OT by 2 with a couple calls that went our way against one of the 3 worst teams in the conference... how many do we really think we will win from here?  this game definitely didn't give me any confidence.  again, not even saying we are all that bad.  just saying almost everyone else is better than PSU.

Lol I’m not hear proclaiming this win was some sort of indication we’re now a Final Four team. Just tired of the extreme reaction to every game. I think we all know it’s ridiculous to think we won’t win another game, but hey, if he’s willing to lose some money, why shouldn’t I be the recipient?

some thoughts - definitely happy to see RP and Al play so much better.  that is huge, but just to stay in my personality... i might warn - could this be ultimately bad going forward?  of course if they keep it up, we're good.  if this performance help them keep their minutes and roles, but they go right back to playing like crap, it just keeps other guys off the floor.  so strange that KL only played 3 minutes again.  i am still not in the camp that says he should just suddenly start, but 3 minutes a game?  not touch the floor in the 2nd half?  just seems weird.  RP and Franklin had too many TOs.  i keep resisting saying how great Galloway is, but he is really starting to even look more offensive and is fun to watch.  i do love CAM's short bench.  i never have been a fan of sitting guys for long or playing #9,10, and on much, but still would like to see Lander at least let's say... 4 minutes a half? 

Just now, madmax said:

Lol I’m not hear proclaiming this win was some sort of indication we’re now a Final Four team. Just tired of the extreme reaction to every game. I think we all know it’s ridiculous to think we won’t win another game, but hey, if he’s willing to lose some money, why shouldn’t I be the recipient?

i'm not a betting man, but while you're at it... college football - take Clemson and the spread over OSU, take AL and the 19.5 spread over ND, and take TX AM and the spread over NC.  eay money.  

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

the more interesting bet would be, will we win more than 3 more the rest of the way?

Which would require, at worst, a 4-13 record from here on out if all games are played? I’d probably offer 10-1 odds we do better then that.. 

Are we winning the Big Ten this year? Probably not. Are we one of the bottom few teams? Almost certainly not. 

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

For what it's worth, KenPom has Penn State ranked ahead of Northwestern.  

I know it is verboten to compliment other teams, but Penn State may not be a “bad” team (just like Northwestern). They will probably finish in the bottom 2-3 in the B1G, but that doesn’t mean they are a garbage team that should be blown out every game. They beat Virginia Tech by 20 (who beat Villanova and Clemson [who beat FSU]), lost to Michigan by 4, and lost to Seton Hall by 6 (who is ranked 37 in KenPom). They may just be one of those teams that are “close” to putting it together.

PSU pushed the ball and had a lot of 2nd half shots go down. The bottom line is IU fought off multiple runs by PSU and pulled out the victory. I look forward to rewatching this one knowing the final result.

Also, I think the lack of fans is a huge factor this year. These are basically recorded scrimmages. Just look at the NFL. I can’t find the stats up to this week, but back in November, away teams had a winning record.

Well, that was a lot more stressful than it needed to be. Glad to see Al and Rob respond. Rob almost looked like he was enjoying himself for a moment, and that was good to see. 

Love Galloway and Lander is sneaky fast on the court. 

I feel like this place would have been ROUGH if we hadn’t pulled that through. On to the next!

I forgot who said it, but there’s the adage: good teams Can win in multiple ways. I think the frustrating thing about this team is that we can lose in multiple ways. 

-We can’t shoot....and then have a good shooting game and lose.
-We need to avoid scoring droughts...and then we avoid a significant scoring drought and then lose.
-TJD needs to be aggressive....he does and we lose.
-the guards need to step up....they do and we barely win by the slimmest margins with favorable calls down the stretch.

....and now, we need to improve our defense when that really hasn’t been a problem all season. 

On the optimistic side, it seems that we can correct specific aspects. But can we put everything together? Heck, put 3 of these aspects together and we are a pretty good team. It’s like this team has tunnel vision; once they fix the one problem their supposed to focus on, they drop the ball elsewhere.  

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I don't see how it's even a debate. The play worked, but players have to play and make decisions. Archie can't do it for them. We got our AA the ball in the paint near the rim. PSU wisely collapsed, so from there players have to make decisions and make playes. TJD tried to force it up to either finish or get fouled, it didn't work. 

This isn't aimed at you BG, just the topic that irks me,  but god i get tired of the CAM can't shoot the ball for them, CAM can't run the plays for them, and on and and on. 

Yes, that is true.  But he is the coach.  He has to teach them to shoot the ball better.  He has to teach them to run plays better.   He has to implement an offense that highlights the strengths of his players.  And if they do not do what they are asked to do, and this isn't an isolated occurrence, its years of the same thing.  Then he needs to put his foot in someone back side and put them on the pine.  But its the same thing.  They shoot poorly, CAM can't shoot for them.  They have 19 TO's, CAM can't make passes for them.  We dribble at the top of the key for 20 seconds, CAM can't run the offense for them. 

Coach is ultimately responsible for what his team does on the floor.  No he can not shoot for them.  But he can hire a shooting coach.  He can focus more on shooting in practices and off season (maybe he already does).  He can recruit true shooters and get them.  He can hire an offensive minded assistant who can help with a better offense or how to utilize our players better.  He can put butts on the bench for not hustling, Lazy passes, not getting back on defense and not knowing where to be on offense.  Taking a loss to me but seeing the coach, actively coach while in a game is important to me.  Watching the same sh!t show every single time and seeing nothing change makes it hard on me. 

The only reason we won this game is because their defense was focused on stopping TJD and they let Rob and Al set their feet for 13 second before shooting.  And if you do that, those guys will kill you.  They took away TJD for the most part and dared us to beat them from the parameter and we did it, although barely.  That end of regulation no call on Rob was very close and could have gone either way, and I am happy it went out way for once.

I am not advocating that everyone needs be in the fire CAM boat or anything.  If you love CAM and think he is the next coming of Jesus, great for you for having that outlook.  I just want people to stop giving him a pass on 4 years of some of the same exact issues.  At some point, its not about the players, its about the coach, the scheme, recruiting, and the staff.  At some point you have to ask why?  And the answer sometimes should be Archie Miller.  

46 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

I know it is verboten to compliment other teams, but Penn State may not be a “bad” team (just like Northwestern). They will probably finish in the bottom 2-3 in the B1G, but that doesn’t mean they are a garbage team that should be blown out every game. They beat Virginia Tech by 20 (who beat Villanova and Clemson [who beat FSU]), lost to Michigan by 4, and lost to Seton Hall by 6 (who is ranked 37 in KenPom). They may just be one of those teams that are “close” to putting it together.

Agree. They aren't very good defensively and they don't have an inside presence, but they have five guys who play 20+ minutes who shoot 36% or better from 3. That makes them dangerous. They had a 19-4 lead against Illinois.

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Taking a loss to me but seeing the coach, actively coach while in a game is important to me. 

This is a myth.  The fan base would lose it's collective mind if CAM played the end of the bench and we lost a winnable game.  You think there were server issues last night?!?

Archived