Penn State Post-Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I agree that Lander should get more minutes, but he made 2 dumb fouls in short order. He sticks his arm out and taps guys as they go around him. He gains nothing from it, on at least one of those calls in conference play, he didn't even touch the other guy, but it's just a terrible thing to do and he has to stop. I can see benching him until he does. 

I think it's pretty clear that it's scripted Lander is going to get a few minutes on the first half at this point. I'm sure he would get more if he came out and was a positive for us, but honestly when has he done that? I think TG has shown it doesn't have to be scoring to earn minutes...

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I saw an inside toughness from Jerome Hunter that I really hadn't seen before...He was ready to mix it up...

He still needs to hold his position better or take the charge, but I was encouraged by the toughness he showed...

I agree. I thought we were seeing a lot of that at the end of last year, but it really disappeared so far this year. He made a crafty move in the paint, too. Hopefully we see more of that. 

36 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i don't like what CAM does to some players.  They get minutes in the first half and then nothing in the second.  This is the second game in a row where Lander got some minutes, played ok in my opinion and then disappeared.

Can anyone explain this?

one thing i'll say about this - as a coach, i always believed that you need to get a guy in at least a minute or two in the 1st half if you think you might even possibly need him in the 2nd half.  it's tough to put a guy in cold for his first action in the 2nd half of a close game.  so maybe he wanted to at least get KL on the floor, then decided the 2nd half was close and the other guys were playing well and decided to never put him back in.  still can't see why he wouldn't play at least 3-4 minutes a half though.   

one thing about this team is that we clearly don't have great shooters and offense can be hard to come by.  for that reason i would like to see us run run run all game.  maybe get easier scoring opportunities.  turnovers would go up, but we need as many easy baskets as we can get.  that doesn't usually go along with the pack line D in game plans, and it doesn't seem to be Arch.  i would just love to see KL and Galloway pushing it up like crazy.  RP, Franklin, and Al are all built for that as well.  Race and TJD run the floor well for big guys.  

42 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Lander is overplaying his matchup to the side....is it him or a scouting report?  When he gets beat, the packline isn't there to protect.  Other teams must be iso him.  That is where an adjustment might need to be made.  

In my opinion, he should get at least as many minutes as Franklin last year.  There is no doubt offense is much more fluid with him.  

But, who's minutes is he going to take away?  Al, is the leader on the court.

Trey G needs minutes.  

Many Hoosiers didn't play D well yesterday.

I didn't look at the box yet, but it appeared IU was out rebounded yesterday?  

yeah that is tough. But he is the future so i would take some rob and al minutes, not alot but he should get imo about 7 minutes per half

5 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

I think you kind of answered your own question regarding Lander, when you mentioned Galloway. Galloway, right now, is DOING the things we all hope Lander will be able to do in the future. Not a knock on Lander, at all. 

I love what Lander has to offer and his point guard skill set. He has obvious Div 1 talent, but from my observation, he is nowhere near strong enough for the rigors of the BIGTEN. I would love to see him get to a Rob Phinisee body type....

3 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I have a hard time seeing the argument that he is better than Franklin. Franklin is starting to look like a guy that will make an all conference team. 

Agreed...

What was the difference in the Northwestern game? Chase Audige...Illinois? Ayo Dosunmu...Making plays at the end of the game...

I want Armaan to develop into that...he was trying like heck last night...

Very impressed with Armaan last night. He at one point was the only one looking to score and having the sense of urgency to do it. 2 of his turnovers were forced because nobody else wanted to take a shot and he was in a bad position. He showed that killer mentality we need going forward. Trey was also very impressive. Love watching him play. So heady with the ball and just is a basketball player by any definition. He wows you with simplicity and good decision making and making the right play. 

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

With that said, something has absolutely been off for 4 years. There just always seems to be something missing. I don't think we can always even out our finger on it, there is just something missing from this program. I agree with others that you can definitely see the improvement year to year when looking at offensive and defensive numbers, I can see the culture developing this year and I like our sophomores and freshmen, but for some reason the wins haven't come with it, and that is frustrating. Again, there is just something missing, 

FWIW, I've felt the same way on this point. Something is missing. I have a theory...

IMO virtually every guy that Archie has recruited is a really, really good kid. Comes from a great family, smart, and has good basketball skills and IQ. My theory is that maybe the guys are too good of a kid. I don't see the toughness of a Bohannon, a Brian Cardinal, a Michael Lewis, et al. (Galloway is getting tough with his competitiveness).

CAM is trying to instill that toughness. But I don't think it's easy to do. Hence the slow progress.

I grew up a good kid, good family, got good grades in school, played a little bball, but I wasn't tough. Still ain't... over 50 years later...

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

FWIW, I've felt the same way on this point. Something is missing. I have a theory...

IMO virtually every guy that Archie has recruited is a really, really good kid. Comes from a great family, smart, and has good basketball skills and IQ. My theory is that maybe the guys are too good of a kid. I don't see the toughness of a Bohannon, a Brian Cardinal, a Michael Lewis, et al. (Galloway is getting tough with his competitiveness).

CAM is trying to instill that toughness. But I don't think it's easy to do. Hence the slow progress.

I grew up a good kid, good family, got good grades in school, played a little bball, but I wasn't tough. Still ain't... over 50 years later...

I think there is validity to this. IU has lacked toughness, which is frustrating for me because I thought that would be one of the things Archie would instill right off the back with his own temperament and persona. For 4 years I've kind of felt that Archie has struggled to develop his identity into the team. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I think there is validity to this. IU has lacked toughness, which is frustrating for me because I thought that would be one of the things Archie would instill right off the back with his own temperament and persona. For 4 years I've kind of felt that Archie has struggled to develop his identity into the team. 

CAN you instill that in a kid like TJD?

I've always thought if he ever got his Dad's demeanor, he'd be a monster...

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You want in a lot of different directions there, so my reply is going to be more general as opposed to specific to what you said, and I also realize you weren't necessarily addressing me specifically. 

I share many of the same concerns as many others about Archie. I personally feel he is a great fit for IU, I like his temperament, I like many things about his approach to coaching and recruiting (not all, but many), and if you were making a list he would check a lot of the boxes that IU fans want in a coach. I was/am really hopeful it works out because I think he's a great fit for IU.

With that said, something has absolutely been off for 4 years. There just always seems to be something missing. I don't think we can always even out our finger on it, there is just something missing from this program. I agree with others that you can definitely see the improvement year to year when looking at offensive and defensive numbers, I can see the culture developing this year and I like our sophomores and freshmen, but for some reason the wins haven't come with it, and that is frustrating. Again, there is just something missing, even with the incremental improvement. It's very frustrating to be a middle-of-the-pack to bottom Big Ten team for the 4th year in a row and that is getting unacceptable. The Leap has to happen and soon.

With all of that said, a lot of my defense of Archie isn't because I think he's the "second coming" of coaches. It's because of the nonsensical crap that gets posted. That game thread last night was asinine. We have posters screaming possession-by-possession even when good things happen. We could run a great play and score and the post will be "well Archie still sucks, he just got lucky that Durham hit the open shot". 

We have posters for two hours screaming about offense in a game where we scored 80 points in regulation and 87 overall while shooting 57% from the field and crushed the other team in points in the paint and turned it over just 13 times. The offense was fantastic last night. We carved up their zone, got basically any shot we wanted, and people are still losing their minds about offense. 

We're complaining about a set that got our AA player the ball in the middle of the paint right in front of the rim. At some point players play and coaches coach. Archie can't jump inside TJD's head and force him to make the right play there, and who knows, maybe TJD's thought process was that he would go up and get fouled and potentially get an and 1. The bottom line is the play was perfectly fine, the players didn't execute. 

I also push back because of some of your posts yesterday. I don't mean to call you out, and I realize the defense was not good last night, but you're posting all yesterday about how bad IU's 3pt defense is, yet coming into last night IU led the Big Ten in 3pt% defense and on the year we were giving up under 30% as a team. So why are we complaining about that?

I could go on and on, and again I'm very concerned so don't get me wrong. I share a lot of your concerns. How have we gone 4 years without a point guard? 4 years without recruiting a high level point guard by a coach that played point guard? 4 years without a big that can make a perimeter shot? I actually have most of my concerns about Archie with his recruiting.  

How do we still not have a high level, killer perimeter scorer (though I'd say Franklin is becoming that). How do we still struggle with playing with intensity and passion?

So yes, I share many of the same concerns. I like some of what I'm seeing this year and I really like our sophomores and freshmen and would like to see Archie have a chance with Lander, Galloway, Franklin, etc., but at some point he has to win, he just has to. 

I don't disagree with most of your response here and although i was surprised we were number 1 in 3point defense in the conference, we have also played 2 bottom dwellers and Ill, whom i thought we did an excellent job defensively, but, we gave up alot of 3's down the stretch.

And i agree that complaining about every single play through the game is a bit over the top.  My complaints about CAM are more general are year over year growth, not only within our own team, but also against the conference national competition.  I just don't think we can continue to grow at such a slow pace if we want to step back on the big stage.

I also agree that i am encouraged by Galloway.  The kids can flat out bring it.  If he fixes that leave his feet to pass issue he has and look more to score when he is wide open, he is going to be a player everyone IU fan is going to love.  He will be up there with Cheney, Yogi, VO, and Bailey.  I am not sold yet on the others and but i do think Lander is going to be a special 3 year player.  Frankin is the biggest surprise to me.  He make the jump i expected Al, Rob and Hunter to make.  He went from contributor to starter.  He is making himself known on both ends of the floor and will only get better.  I just wish the rest of the team would pick up the hustle and intensity that Galloway and Franklin bring.  TJD looks like he could care less if he is on the floor.  His expression is so, i don't want to be out here doing this.  

Overall though, we share alot of the same concerns.  I am just more pessimistic about IU basketball these days and it doesn't take much for me to turn on them when things are going wrong and it takes alot more to make me like them when things are going well.  just where i am right now 

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

CAN you instill that in a kid like TJD?

I've always thought if he ever got his Dad's demeanor, he'd be a monster...

I don't think you can instill it in individuals like that, but you can in the larger entity of a team. The problem comes in when your leaders are all so laid back, which has seemed to be the case for IU for 4 years. Archie needs to recruit killers and he really hasn't done that. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think we’ve always missed the guy that can get his shot when needed. Devonte was that 3-4 games a year. But that’s not nearly enough. Trayce is way to dependent  on others getting him the ball ( which we are terrible at btw) and you can tell he gets frustrated. There’s a reason Trayce plays with more energy when Galloway is in. He knows he’s gonna throw him the ball. We don’t have a Dosunmu on our team and haven’t for a while now. But I think I’m general attitude and toughness is missing too. Where’s Jeff Newton when ya need him..wouldn’t of messed with him. 

Archived