Penn State Post-Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Easy, Scott...LOL...I don't see that comment as that serious.

I just see his comments on the football board and he seems to like to think it has to be a football or basketball school.  It just seems it would be best if all of us were fans of all IU sports and not to try to split the fans into two categories.  I have seen to many people who are only football fans thinks the only reason the football program has not been good is because of the basketball program.

So you guys may think someone hacked my account, but I feel like giving a positive outlook about next year.  One quick negative - I don't think TJD will come back.  No inside info., no proof, no signed documents from Trayce guaranteeing it.  Just my opinion.  BUT... let's say he does come back:

Lander, Franklin, Galloway, Thompson, and TJD all a year more mature and cohesive is a nice mix.  Still not a great shooting group, but if we gain Brunk back for size depth and leadership plus Stewart, Hunter and RP, then hopefully a Geronimo who is ready to contribute, Leal a shooter off the bench, and Duncomb adding size... I like it!  

Just because I am who I am... it all gets so delicate if TJD leaves, Brunk doesn't come back, Lander and Geronimo don't make big leaps... shudder... all right...I'm back.  Nervous.  Negative.  I'm going to get some bourbon. 

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

So you guys may think someone hacked my account, but I feel like giving a positive outlook about next year.  One quick negative - I don't think TJD will come back.  No inside info., no proof, no signed documents from Trayce guaranteeing it.  Just my opinion.  BUT... let's say he does come back:

Lander, Franklin, Galloway, Thompson, and TJD all a year more mature and cohesive is a nice mix.  Still not a great shooting group, but if we gain Brunk back for size depth and leadership plus Stewart, Hunter and RP, then hopefully a Geronimo who is ready to contribute, Leal a shooter off the bench, and Duncomb adding size... I like it!  

Just because I am who I am... it all gets so delicate if TJD leaves, Brunk doesn't come back, Lander and Geronimo don't make big leaps... shudder... all right...I'm back.  Nervous.  Negative.  I'm going to get some bourbon. 

This team feels like it is built for next year.  I hope TJD stays. He won't be getting any NBA minutes next year unless he is on a team like OKC that has nothing to lose so they put a player like Pokusevski on the court. I know the dynamics have changed as players like TJD can go develop and get paid well as a pro. The development might be better also.  

6 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I am going to be a bit negative to balance your positivity.  I don't feel like any of our players really make big changes year to year, with the exception to Franklin and i think he did that himself.  I just don't see CAM as the coach who is going to dramatically improve the players on his teams.  TJD is exactly the same.  Al is exactly the same.  Rob is exactly the same.  Race is, well, inconsistent so i don't know if he did this himself or what but i would like to see him show up more often.  Galloway is going to grow despite anyone or anything so i don't think CAM will have an impact on him.  It will all come down to the freshman next year and i just don't have confidence in CAM making them better in terms of growth compared to other players at other schools.

EXCEPT, They have gotten better on defense year over year.  As a team, our starters are really good defenders and i will give CAM that.  It might in detriment to every other aspect of basketball, mainly shooting, free throw shooting, taking care of the ball, and having an offensive scheme that has an actual objective, his defense is scary at times.  Although it does go on hiatus every so often.

On a completely different Note - Trey Galloway is going to be a top 5 favorite player of many people at the end of his Junior Year when he gets drafted.  The kids is the MOLD that IU fans use as the standard for a basketball player.  Smart - Check.  Hustles - Check, Has Heart - Check.  Basketball IQ - Check.  Gets better every time he plays - Check.  I love everything about the kids, except for his haircut lol

~What do i know, i live in a cornfield in iowa

6 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am going to be a bit negative to balance your positivity.  I don't feel like any of our players really make big changes year to year, with the exception to Franklin and i think he did that himself.  I just don't see CAM as the coach who is going to dramatically improve the players on his teams.  TJD is exactly the same.  Al is exactly the same.  Rob is exactly the same.  Race is, well, inconsistent so i don't know if he did this himself or what but i would like to see him show up more often.  Galloway is going to grow despite anyone or anything so i don't think CAM will have an impact on him.  It will all come down to the freshman next year and i just don't have confidence in CAM making them better in terms of growth compared to other players at other schools.

EXCEPT, They have gotten better on defense year over year.  As a team, our starters are really good defenders and i will give CAM that.  It might in detriment to every other aspect of basketball, mainly shooting, free throw shooting, taking care of the ball, and having an offensive scheme that has an actual objective, his defense is scary at times.  Although it does go on hiatus every so often.

On a completely different Note - Trey Galloway is going to be a top 5 favorite player of many people at the end of his Junior Year when he gets drafted.  The kids is the MOLD that IU fans use as the standard for a basketball player.  Smart - Check.  Hustles - Check, Has Heart - Check.  Basketball IQ - Check.  Gets better every time he plays - Check.  I love everything about the kids, except for his haircut lol

you may be right.  i would counter that you don't have any idea what Arch does with them in the offseason.  i get slammed on this board way more than i understand for giving my opinion without hard facts, stats, or video to back it up.  you must get a longer leash!

7 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't feel like any of our players really make big changes year to year, with the exception to Franklin and i think he did that himself.  I just don't see CAM as the coach who is going to dramatically improve the players on his teams

I've told my kid this from a young age, and I tell my employees this as well...

"If you want to be good at something, it's not up to me or anybody else. It's solely up to you."

Archie has 15 players, a coaching staff, an administration, donors, and a family he has to accommodate. He can give them all things to work on, but ultimately, it's up to the player. 

I have initial yearly evals, midterm evals and closeouts I give to each employee every year. I outline what I want them to work on and improve upon in their work.

I can give them the tools, but it's up to them. I have way too many other responsibilities than to sit at their desks with them and make sure they're doing what I asked.

10 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

So let me get this straight if a player improves it is on the player but if he doesn't it is on the coach

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So let me get this straight if a player improves it is on the player but if he doesn't it is on the coach

Only if you're IU's coach. If you improve at MSU, Villanova, Virginia, Texas Tech or Purdue, it's all because of Izzo, Wright, Bennett, Beard and Painter. 

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Let's not forget that TJD going from 13.5ppg to over 20 isn't improvement, either.

And, Race going from 3.7ppg to 9.5ppg is also invalidated because his several good games don't count, because once he had a great game. 

1 minute ago, HoosierDom said:

Let's not forget that TJD going from 13.5ppg to over 20 isn't improvement, either.

And, Race going from 3.7ppg to 9.5ppg is also invalidated because his several good games don't count, because once he had a great game. 

And Juwan Morgan who almost everyone (myself included) thought had no chance at the NBA and averaged like 5ppg before Archie got here, playing rotation minutes in the NBA playoffs as a rookie, only got better because he got more minutes. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Only if you're IU's coach. If you improve at MSU, Villanova, Virginia, Texas Tech or Purdue, it's all because of Izzo, Wright, Bennett, Beard and Painter. 

Exactly. It’s odd that guys don’t credit the staff, whether it was Crean’s or CAM’s, with developing players.

This isn’t a corporation, these are college ball players, they develop in part from their individual work ethic and dedication but the staff plays a major role in their development, every year. Crean/ staff had an excellent player development system and track record, better with guards generally, but overall a strong development program (regardless of the X’s and O’s Discussion). 
With CAM we’ve already seen several guys make major strides, and with Race it was after a year off for development, with AF the development of his offensive game is now obvious, TJD is now a 20 and 8 player, notwithstanding some of the comments he’s knocked down some some shots in the still rare instances when he’s taken them, need to see more, but staff worked on his shot with him over the summer. I keep saying I have some complaints with the way I feel certain players are being held back in my opinion (eg Lander) but to say players who developed did it themselves and not credit the staff is just way off 

Archived