Penn State Post-Game Thread

KDB

4 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

I kinda equate it to my golf game.  I have the skill set to probably be a single digit handicap.  I can drive 280ish, am really good with my irons, have pretty good touch in my short game and am a really good putter.   My problem is i can only do about 2 of those at once durring a round and never know which 2 its guna be so i usually shoot 85-95 and spend 3-4 hours cussing.

Our guys can play D.  They can rebound.  They can shoot.  Problem is they cant manage do put a whole game together.  If they do, they could be dangerous.

Are you, me?

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a big win only because it got us in the win column! Sometimes that’s the thing that kick starts a team. I hope it gets us going!

others have been complaining about our defense! OK, but give some Credit to Penn St. my god they were hitting over 50% as a team at one time from three point land. 

Yes our defense needs to be  better, I believe it will. I just hope the offense keeps rolling! I’d like to see Landers and Leah being worked in a little more. Fresh legs makes better shooters that being said if someone gets hot god let them in. 

I don’t ask much play a perfect game, win every game become NC! That’s all I ask. Is it so hard! 😂😂

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

Needs to be able to make a shot outside of the paint too. Doesn't mean he'll stay, but currently he's got a G-League game not an NBA game. 

and i'm not saying he SHOULD enter the draft.  i'm assuming he WILL.  how many guys go earlier than they should?  how many guys get overdrafted based on potential?  now if he does stay, my outlook on next year is much different.  can't convince me that Brunk and Duncomb will make up for his loss.  

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

and i'm not saying he SHOULD enter the draft.  i'm assuming he WILL.  how many guys go earlier than they should?  how many guys get overdrafted based on potential?  now if he does stay, my outlook on next year is much different.  can't convince me that Brunk and Duncomb will make up for his loss.  

Why are you assuming he will? He doesn't really have anything about him that will get him drafted and it isn't like he is showing up on draft boards. 

What information do you have that scouts and NBA people don't have about him?

Of course guys can leave and make bad decisions, I'm just not sure why we assume that will happen here. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Why are you assuming he will? He doesn't really have anything about him that will get him drafted and it isn't like he is showing up on draft boards. 

Of course guys can leave and make bad decisions, I'm just not sure why we assume that will happen here. 

easy fella.  no super secret info here.  just my opinion.  i know we rarely agree.  maybe i'm wrong about this one and hope that i am!   

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

easy fella.  no super secret info here.  just my opinion.  i know we rarely agree.  maybe i'm wrong about this one and hope that i am!   

Probably has a lot to do with IU fans' jaded view that other teams seem to be able to keep their guys longer and IU's best players leave just before the team could be really really good.  Nothing specific to back that up beyond remembering just how good IU could have been if guys like Anunoby, Bryant and Langford had stayed another year.  It's worked out for those guys, but it seems that IU is a little less successful than, say Illinois, at getting high-level players to come back for another year.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Probably has a lot to do with IU fans' jaded view that other teams seem to be able to keep their guys longer and IU's best players leave just before the team could be really really good.  Nothing specific to back that up beyond remembering just how good IU could have been if guys like Anunoby, Bryant and Langford had stayed another year.  It's worked out for those guys, but it seems that IU is a little less successful than, say Illinois, at getting high-level players to come back for another year.

i don't know.  i feel like guys leave too early all over the place.  i just assumed his plan was to be out of here after this year.  sure, if he gets bad enough feedback and believes it, he may decide to stay.  i hope so!

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't know.  i feel like guys leave too early all over the place.  i just assumed his plan was to be out of here after this year.  sure, if he gets bad enough feedback and believes it, he may decide to stay.  i hope so!

If I had to bet I would say he'll be leaving. Can't imagine there are a ton of power 5 guys that average 20ppg and 8rpg or more as sophomore's and stay. 

I think some of the guys that have delivered bits and pieces of info before must be taking a break or tired of all the heartache.  Either way.  It's been said that he's gone.  That was before the season.  He hasn't really expanded his game, just gotten better at what he was already good at.  I could see him growing his game slowly but surely like a Sabonis.  Not a great shooter but keeps working.  Granted Sabonis has extremely high bbiq and is a heck of a passer and relentless worker.  TJD will have to develop a fire.  

8 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

that's all i'm saying

I'm usually for guys leaving, as I think the best way to get better is to be working with NBA organizations (even their G League affiliates) on your game in the way it would be used at this level. 

But with TJD assuming the season keeps going as is, I think he could benefit from coming back, but he would have to truly expand his game. A 6'9" TJD that can shoot even just 33-35% on open, spot-up 3's while averaging 20ppg and 10rpg would be a first round pick, even as a junior. 

32 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Instead of making uneducated conjectures about TJD, questioning his hands, and what not, would be nice if this board would just get behind the kid, appreciate him while he wears the candy stripes, and root like heck that he can lead his team where we want it to be.

weird comment.  i'm 100% behind him. just think he'll leave after this year.  doesn't mean i like him less or am nor behind him.  uneducated conjectures are kind of what message boards are made of.  very rare that any of us are in the heads of the players or coach right?  

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm usually for guys leaving, as I think the best way to get better is to be working with NBA organizations (even their G League affiliates) on your game in the way it would be used at this level. 

But with TJD assuming the season keeps going as is, I think he could benefit from coming back, but he would have to truly expand his game. A 6'9" TJD that can shoot even just 33-35% on open, spot-up 3's while averaging 20ppg and 10rpg would be a first round pick, even as a junior. 

I just don't see where he is going to go. He's an undersized big that can't score outside of 8 feet and doesn't overwhelm you with athleticism. 

It isn't like a guy like him fits international play particularly well. I just don't see him, at least as of now, really having a lot of options. 

48 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Instead of making uneducated conjectures about TJD, questioning his hands, and what not, would be nice if this board would just get behind the kid, appreciate him while he wears the candy stripes, and root like heck that he can lead his team where we want it to be.

Agree on the hands.  For example, when Tyra Buss was on the women's team, I couldn't tell you if she even HAD hands.

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I just don't see where he is going to go. He's an undersized big that can't score outside of 8 feet and doesn't overwhelm you with athleticism. 

It isn't like a guy like him fits international play particularly well. I just don't see him, at least as of now, really having a lot of options. 

This is not a criticism of TJD at all, but he is currently Ethan Happ without as many post moves. Happ was a dominant college player who wasn’t drafted and ended up in an Italian league. I think TJD has more upside, but has to expand his game to have a shot at the NBA

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This is not a criticism of TJD at all, but he is currently Ethan Happ without as many post moves. Happ was a dominant college player who wasn’t drafted and ended up in an Italian league. I think TJD has more upside, but has to expand his game to have a shot at the NBA

i think people need to understand there's a difference in thinking he is ready to be an NBA player and thinking that he'll decide to enter the draft.  those are completely unrelated things.  

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

I agree - but I also thought Cody could have benefitted after one more season, and just look at the career he carved out. He never really developed an outside jumper at IU, had a bad finish against Cuse, and a lot of people said he wasn’t ready. Cody however had great ball IQ and the in game work horse effort you need. TJD is outstanding, he’s good enough for the League imo, but the way he’s playing now he’d get destroyed on the defensive end and his jogging back on D doesn’t cut it. He did show some shooting in the early games so I think there’s more there than we’re seeing now, but do think another season would benefit him - end of the day though it will come down to the feedback he gets on where it looks like he’ll get drafted. If he is pretty solidly in the top 20 or so can’t see him risking that to come back 

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Like I said, I think he should come back. Until he adds a perimeter game he isn't ready. 

But we've seen tons of guys leave too early when they should have stayed. 

Speaking of his shot and the shooting of the team.  I tried to drum up the interview last year or so of CAM speaking about shooting.  He was asked something along the lines of how much of shooting is on the coaches and do they do any work on changing a guys shot?  Iirc he said something along the lines of they don't mess with shots or don't have time to mess with shots and that shooting is all about gaining confidence.  

So with that said, TJD shot is exactly the same awkward form as last year.  He may have hit a few jumpers early but has only taken what, one jumper in the last 4 games.  His free throw looks nice but his jumper is odd with his off hand almost in front of the ball instead of on the side just steadying.  I don't understand.  If you are making 3.5 mil you teach everyone how to shoot.  How that's not your responsibility as a coach is baffling to me.  

Archived