Penn State Post-Game Thread

KDB

35 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Cody was three inches taller, a better athlete, and a better defender. Cody would average 30 ppg under Archie IMO. 

I don’t know about better athlete, I guess depends how you measure that, and Crean’s system emphasized offense and Cody, whereas CAM’s system, though definitely emphasizing TJD, is more limited offensively and the team’s generally lower scoring reflects that. Interesting point and maybe—hard for me to gauge. Agree Cody Was a better defender. But I think part of it is effort, Cody was full bore whereas TJD has been taking plays off at least recently. I think TJD’s ceiling is still up there 

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don’t know about better athlete, I guess depends how you measure that, and Crean’s system emphasized offense and Cody, whereas CAM’s system, though definitely emphasizing TJD, is more limited offensively and the team’s generally lower scoring reflects that. Interesting point and maybe—hard for me to gauge. Agree Cody Was a better defender. But I think part of it is effort, Cody was full bore whereas TJD has been taking plays off at least recently. I think TJD’s ceiling is still up there 

I guess I'd be curious to know how you'd measure athelticism that wouldn't put Cody easily over TJD?

He had the highest standing jump of anyone at the combine and best for a big in over a decade. I think we would all agree Cody is faster. 

Either way, I don't think the two are relatively close at this point. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I guess I'd be curious to know how you'd measure athelticism that wouldn't put Cody easily over TJD?

He had the highest standing jump of anyone at the combine and best for a big in over a decade. I think we would all agree Cody is faster. 

just my humble opinion, but i'd say Cody is literally better at every aspect.  posting, finishing, bball IQ, even better range than TJD.  plus Cody is 7'0''

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

just my humble opinion, but i'd say Cody is literally better at every aspect.  posting, finishing, bball IQ, even better range than TJD.  plus Cody is 7'0''

I agree. There's a reason Cody was a POTY caliber player, top 5 pick, and will play over a decade on the NBA most likely. 

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Cody's motor ran at 100% at all time.  He would go top 10 in any draft.  

One thing the NBA love is wing span, and TJD has it.  

30 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree. Its not an accident that one guy was a lock lottery pick and the other is at best a projected 2nd round pick. 

Here's an interesting question, list IU bigs in order over the last decade...

Zeller 

Bryant 

TJD

Vonleh

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I remember that quote and I believe he qualified it with 'during the season.' 

I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure Archie was saying that you can't really mess with a players form during the season, that's off season stuff. During the season you just have to work on reps and their confidence. 

Appreciate you clarifying.  Context is important.  It seems sometimes that there's too much effort to discredit.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I guess I'd be curious to know how you'd measure athleticism that wouldn't put Cody easily over TJD?

I don't remember the specifics like you have here but I do remember that very very few bigs ran the court as well as CZ...that was a real strength of his even back in high school.

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree. Its not an accident that one guy was a lock lottery pick and the other is at best a projected 2nd round pick. 

Here's an interesting question, list IU bigs in order over the last decade...

Zeller 

Bryant 

TJD

Vonleh

Are we talking about who was the best in their time at IU?

So catching up on this debate.  All I have to add is I played with Luke Zeller in school and summer ball with Tyler and Cody. Cody was a few years younger and a few inches shorter at the time but schooled everyone.

Cody was by far the best of the 3. Compared to TJD, I think Davis is a little stronger and has a better haircut, but Cody was an all around better player at this point.  TJD develops a jumpshot and free throws. Now we're talkin.  

That said, TJD is my favorite player in a long time. 

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know I have heard guys like Barkley and some of the older guys saying that they actually enjoyed playing college basketball over the NBA.

I think that while reminiscing over a cocktail many guys like Barkley would say they enjoyed playing college basketball more than the NBA but if you asked them if they would really trade their last year for xxxxmillions (and risk injury) they would chuckle.

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Cody was three inches taller, a better athlete, and a better defender. Cody would average 30 ppg under Archie IMO. 

Crean had a ton of shortcomings but Cody, in spite of  Creans  use of Cody often being slammed, was one of the highest scoring big men in the BT while being an underclassmen on a team with multiple shooters that “took” points from him. I’ll assume you were being sarcastic but there is  NO WAY  Archie’s offense gets him 30 a game with CWat, Hulls, Sheehey, Victor, Yogi etc also on the team. 

4 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Crean had a ton of shortcomings but Cody, in spite of  Creans  use of Cody often being slammed, was one of the highest scoring big men in the BT while being an underclassmen on a team with multiple shooters that “took” points from him. I’ll assume you were being sarcastic but there is  NO WAY  Archie’s offense gets him 30 a game with CWat, Hulls, Sheehey, Victor, Yogi etc also on the team. 

If you trade Zeller for TJD and insert Cody into this offense being forced fed the ball all game.  Pretty sure that's what he's talking about.  

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Cody's motor ran at 100% at all time.  He would go top 10 in any draft.  

One thing the NBA love is wing span, and TJD has it.  

Yep, relatively speaking Cody has “alligator arms”, while TJD has a much better wingspan, but good things happen with effort and a non-stop motor. Hopefully that mind-set and a tough minded culture will, at some point, be installed by Archie.

34 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I'm saying put Cody on this team and give him the usage (or more) of TJD and the schemes we have and I think he averages 30. 

27 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Yep, relatively speaking Cody has “alligator arms”, while TJD has a much better wingspan, but good things happen with effort and a non-stop motor. Hopefully that mind-set and a tough minded culture will, at some point, be installed by Archie.

TJD definitely has a better wingspan, but when you factor in Cody being 3" taller it isn't actually all that different. 

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

At IU:

Cody 

Bryant 

TJD 

Vonleh 

Overall talent: 

Bryant 

Cody 

Vonleh 

TJD 

Agree except for the Vonleh - TJD order in the second  group. Have to project with TJD of course snd the projection is he doesn’t grow his game. He’s better as a college player, he has the tools to be a good pro, imo, but his motor and D need work, and need to see him shooting more - he has looked good in the few shots he’s taken, solid form, shot with confidence. Not dissing Vonleh, he’s carved out an NBA career, but TJD has the talent and tools to get there, imo 

37 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Agree except for the Vonleh - TJD order in the second  group. Have to project with TJD of course snd the projection is he doesn’t grow his game. He’s better as a college player, he has the tools to be a good pro, imo, but his motor and D need work, and need to see him shooting more - he has looked good in the few shots he’s taken, solid form, shot with confidence. Not dissing Vonleh, he’s carved out an NBA career, but TJD has the talent and tools to get there, imo 

Yeah I struggled a lot with those two on both lists. Vonleh came to IU as a very young freshman and only played that one season; it's honestly impressive when you see it in light on Lander at a similar age. 

I'm certainly not going to argue with thinking TJD is the better talent, but I tend to think Vonleh has gotten the least out of his talent of the group. He's honestly still young enough that he can be an impactful nba player at some point IMO. 

Archived