TJDs Hands

Bustout

Is it me or is every pass to him 50/50 if he’ll catch it and maintain possession?  Seems like he loses the grip and handle on it easily.  Maybe the passes he’s losing are just crappy?

There was another big man recently who had the same issue (Morgan maybe?), but I don’t ever recall JJ, DJ White, Newton, etc ever having those issues. 

Maybe gotta go old school rice/sand digging in buckets. 

21 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’ve always felt like he has really good hands.  What impresses me is that when there is a lot of traffic and a lot of big guys, you can count on Trayce to snag it.  I don’t think he struggles with bobbles for no reason. Nobody is 100% but I’ve been impressed with his hands.  Just my perspective.  

Ha. Maybe is just me!  Happy new year all!

TJD hands are soft, when he isn't focussed. Like last night.

Most quiet 21 pts I've ever seen from him. I thought he had 12-15 before I saw the stat sheet. Was afraid he wouldn't get to 10. Only had a few rebounds too. He wasn't in the game mentally IMO.

32 minutes ago, DWB said:

Most quiet 21 pts I've ever seen from him. I thought he had 12-15 before I saw the stat sheet. Was afraid he wouldn't get to 10. Only had a few rebounds too. He wasn't in the game mentally IMO.

I know I may sound old school but sometimes....sometimes he is just spending too much time too far out on the court. I understand our pick and roll I get it but I don’t need Trayce out there 75% of the time 25 feet away from the basket. Get his butt on the block like he was much of the early season. If that means setting screens for him so he can get free then by all means for the love of God have Race or a guard set a freaking screen for our big and let him reposition across the lane against someone else or get position when they are fronting. We act like only bigs are allowed to set screens for guards or something! Do that or more quick ball reversals and make that opponent move quickly but it’s just too much perimeter Trayce for my liking.

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’ve always felt like he has really good hands.  What impresses me is that when there is a lot of traffic and a lot of big guys, you can count on Trayce to snag it.  I don’t think he struggles with bobbles for no reason. Nobody is 100% but I’ve been impressed with his hands.  Just my perspective.  

3 hours ago, Bustout said:

Ha. Maybe is just me!  Happy new year all!

I think it is.  He had a bobble under pressure last night but overall, I think he's way better than average.  Justin Smith, on the other hand, was horrible...hands of stone.

(Happy new year to you as well!)

4 hours ago, DWB said:

I partially agree but I also think when you work your butt off to start the game and the guards are scared to feed you the ball at some point you stop trying.  People said he didn’t work hard to demand the ball but you can only seal someone off so hard 

9 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

TJD is currently not on the two draft boards I just checked.  That includes 2nd round.  Draft express and espn.  Unless I totally over looked him.  I don’t think he comes back but I don’t think he’s getting drafted either.

Why wouldn’t he come back then?  He’s probably 1-1.5 years away from getting a college degree and improving his draft stock.  

you think he’d go to Europe or something?   

38 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Why wouldn’t he come back then?  He’s probably 1-1.5 years away from getting a college degree and improving his draft stock.  

Sometimes they get set in their mind what they want to do and it can’t be changed.  His family is financially fine, makes the most sense for him to come back but I don’t believe he will

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

Sometimes they get set in their mind what they want to do and it can’t be changed.  His family is financially fine, makes the most sense for him to come back but I don’t believe he will

this is exactly how i feel.  i think they get a plan and sometimes stick to it even when they shouldn't.  

44 minutes ago, Bustout said:

There has never been more paths to the NBA for undrafted guys than there are currently. 

The advancement of the G-League and the newish (maybe 3-4 years old now) 2-Way contracts have changed the game. 

My Celtics currently have 2 undrafted guys on their roster in addition to 3 2nd round picks. 

Look at Juwan Morgan, he went undrafted and then was literally playing key rotation minutes in the playoffs as a rookie. 

It's of course not easy to make the NBA, but the various paths for 2nd rounders and undrafted guys have never been more. 

I think he should truly develop a jumper and come back, because he could be a high 2nd rounder or late 1st guy with that, but I think he leaves too. 

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

There has never been more paths to the NBA for undrafted guys than there are currently. 

The advancement of the G-League and the newish (maybe 3-4 years old now) 2-Way contracts have changed the game. 

My Celtics currently have 2 undrafted guys on their roster in addition to 3 2nd round picks. 

Look at Juwan Morgan, he went undrafted and then was literally playing key rotation minutes in the playoffs as a rookie. 

It's of course not easy to make the NBA, but the various paths for 2nd rounders and undrafted guys have never been more. 

I think he should truly develop a jumper and come back, because he could be a high 2nd rounder or late 1st guy with that, but I think he leaves too. 

Sometimes I get the feeling that there’s a belief amongst CBB fans that players will fail to develop once they leave college. Yes, there’s only so many roster spots in the NBA and not everybody will make it, but developing in college is not the only way. I think the notion of ‘improving draft stock’ is not as important as fans may think with, as @BGleas points out, 2 way contracts. Improving draft stock is short term thinking....players are more concerned about their long term development. Even if they don’t make the NBA, they will be that much more valuable overseas. 

In fact, there’s many more valid reasons to believe that a players development will be accelerated in the pros: no restrictions on practice time, no classes to worry about, better coaches, better strength and conditioning programs, better competition, the ability to play their natural position (rather than being forced to fill a spot based on need), etc. Do we Really think TJD is going to develop his shot at IU this summer under limited coaching time or with a professional team that has unlimited resources? 

I want our players to stay just as much as anybody, but I truly believe a player is going to know what’s best for their future over a fan who does not know or understand every variable that factors into their decision. If they feel that staying is their best path forward then AWESOME, If not, then the absolute best of luck to them. 

People tend to forget (especially CBB fans who don’t watch the NBA) that age is a measurable for draft prospects. TJD with his current skill set is a more valuable prospect at age 20 than he is at age 21 even if he slightly improves on his weaknesses. For him to be a more valuable prospect after his junior year he would need to show a considerable improvement in his weaknesses. A slight improvement isn’t better for a player like him. 

52 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Sometimes I get the feeling that there’s a belief amongst CBB fans that players will fail to develop once they leave college. Yes, there’s only so many roster spots in the NBA and not everybody will make it, but developing in college is not the only way. I think the notion of ‘improving draft stock’ is not as important as fans may think with, as @BGleas points out, 2 way contracts. Improving draft stock is short term thinking....players are more concerned about their long term development. Even if they don’t make the NBA, they will be that much more valuable overseas. 

In fact, there’s many more valid reasons to believe that a players development will be accelerated in the pros: no restrictions on practice time, no classes to worry about, better coaches, better strength and conditioning programs, better competition, the ability to play their natural position (rather than being forced to fill a spot based on need), etc. Do we Really think TJD is going to develop his shot at IU this summer under limited coaching time or with a professional team that has unlimited resources? 

I want our players to stay just as much as anybody, but I truly believe a player is going to know what’s best for their future over a fan who does not know or understand every variable that factors into their decision. If they feel that staying is their best path forward then AWESOME, If not, then the absolute best of luck to them. 

All good points just posting to add that TJD worked all summer on his shot already, he actually has a good looking shot right now, we just haven't seen much of it -- and that has to do with the way the offensive sets are run, I think, more than TJD not shooting. I'd like to see him take some more outside shots as he's often moving back and forth from the perimeter, but he's looking to roll etc. 

As an example of a guy who developed significantly after leaving IU, look at a guy like Troy, even though he did not stick in the League, as of now anyway, as that was more about the team involved -- he became respectable as an outside shooter and looked good defensively. He always had NBA athleticism and tools but when he left he developed fast.  ,Or see OG, he doesn't get a great deal of pub because he's such an unselfish player who plays more a support role, but he just landed a multi-year 70M contract, and his development has been fast. He has the tools to turn into a all-star level player, the development playing at the next level is clear.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

All good points just posting to add that TJD worked all summer on his shot already, he actually has a good looking shot right now, we just haven't seen much of it -- and that has to do with the way the offensive sets are run, I think, more than TJD not shooting. I'd like to see him take some more outside shots as he's often moving back and forth from the perimeter, but he's looking to roll etc. 

As an example of a guy who developed significantly after leaving IU, look at a guy like Troy, even though he did not stick in the League, as of now anyway, as that was more about the team involved -- he became respectable as an outside shooter and looked good defensively. He always had NBA athleticism and tools but when he left he developed fast.  ,Or see OG, he doesn't get a great deal of pub because he's such an unselfish player who plays more a support role, but he just landed a multi-year 70M contract, and his development has been fast. He has the tools to turn into a all-star level player, the development playing at the next level is clear.

Last game TJD had a couple wide open chances inside the arc ... same vs ILL too.  Each time he just put the ball down and drove.      I’ve seen him take a couple from up there, but seems likes he’s driven more than shooting it this year. 

5 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Last game TJD had a couple wide open chances inside the arc ... same vs ILL too.  Each time he just put the ball down and drove.      I’ve seen him take a couple from up there, but seems likes he’s driven more than shooting it this year. 

No question he has driven more than shot, but then what's going on around him, what's the set, what screen is being set, who is rolling, is the outside shot the one he should take in the situation? Again, I agree he should take more shots, both for the team/creating space, and for his developing game but just because he doesn't shoot when he appears to have an open shot doesn't make it the wrong move.

Here's my take...

You develop in college with less pressure.  When you are getting paid, my suspicion is that the patience and timeline shortens up considerably and if I'm a GM, I'm attracted to a cheap contract like Juwan Morgan that is ready to contribute NOW.

It just feels like the G-league is awash in young players full of potential making it much harder to stand out, making a player more likely to wash out.  How many GMs see me if I'm putting up big numbers and getting progressively better in college for 3-4 years vs. in the G-league or overseas?  I'm just going on my feel here, but it feels like a lot of guys would maximize their NBA chances if they were better prepared and better known before they made the leap.

Just my thoughts. I wish someone would compile some real stats either proving or disproving this theory because I'll always have my doubts about it being a good thing for most players beyond the 1st round being drafted on potential.  Yes,  there are several Thomas Bryants but there are a lot more washouts that may have benefitted with more seasoning before making the leap.

Archived