Maryland Pregame 1/4 8:00 pm EST BTN

3 games in 6 days with 2 road trips. Needless to say tonight is in the must win category against another very good team. That will be the extent of my participation in the hoops section tonight. I know we all want to see us win by 20 every night like we did in 1992/93 but that just isn't going to happen in this Big 10....but every game it seems like it turns into a state of the program thread. Kind of gets tiring. 

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Does any defense work against "anything"?

Coach is being honest. Their style and changes caught the off guard.

But where did he, or anyobdy, say the pack line is the mother of all defenses?

I swear, sometimes people just look for stuff to interpret their own way and show us in a negative way.

Now he us scared?

Archie may have faults. But fear is not one of them.

Wish I could like this post 1,000 times. 

People wonder why guys like Belichick and Popovich don't want to say anything to the media. These guys are speaking on the fly, yet media and fans twist, turn and misinterpret almost every word. 

And before someone chimes in, no I'm not comparing Archie to Belichick or Popovich. 

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wish I could like this post 1,000 times. 

People wonder why guys like Belichick and Popovich don't want to say anything to the media. These guys are speaking on the fly, yet media and fans twist, turn and misinterpret almost every word. 

And before someone chimes in, no I'm not comparing Archie to Belichick or Popovich. 

Who do you think you are comparing Archie to Bellicheck and Popovich....🤣🤣

Honestly as long as the hoosiers play hard the whole 40 minutes were a good team. Archie slander is a weak excuse. He cant force people to make good decisions on the court. I Think penn state game prepared us well for tonight, schematically and hopefully game film wise (if that makes sense)

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

3 games in 6 days with 2 road trips. Needless to say tonight is in the must win category against another very good team. That will be the extent of my participation in the hoops section tonight. I know we all want to see us win by 20 every night like we did in 1992/93 but that just isn't going to happen in this Big 10....but every game it seems like it turns into a state of the program thread. Kind of gets tiring. 

You want to try being a mod? 

:D

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

You want to try being a mod? 

:D

Negative.

I applaud you guys. It's almost like I wish we could create a thread called incessant bit-----,etc.....and when Lander picks up a foul early tonight and heads to the bench someone can go to that thread and say see....knew he wasn't a 5 star. 

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I think this is fair. We should win. But this is a match up style we have often struggled with. 

I don't know about should win, they've beaten some good teams and have several lights out shooters -- I'd say I think we're the better team when we bring it on both ends and our starting guards contribute offensively. Question to me is will we tonight. Said earlier I think this could be a turn the corner game for us, hope so.

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

kenpom..

Maryland 

Offense:   #11

Defense:  #90

Indiana 

Offense: #51

Defense:   #15

Based on this...

Maryland says "go ahead and score. We will let you."

Indiana rebuttal "we don't know how"

Then the  players just awkwardly stare at each other as the shot clock expires.

Believe me guys, I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with any of you. I respect everyone's opinion. Wish some would respect mine.

Having said that, my logic says that if the Pack line wasn't the best defense, why hasn't Archie changed it in 4 years? (a different switching tactic is not change in my book)

OK, rant is done.

Hope we kick the snot out of MD !

5 minutes ago, DWB said:

Believe me guys, I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with any of you. I respect everyone's opinion. Wish some would respect mine.

Having said that, my logic says that if the Pack line wasn't the best defense, why hasn't Archie changed it in 4 years? (a different switching tactic is not change in my book)

OK, rant is done.

I think you got push back more for the tone, than your opinion. 

Saying "mother of all defenses should work against anything" seems more taking a shot than discussing perceived flaws.

Then translating his words to him saying he was out coached and is scared?

Those come off as petty and cheap versus an engaging debate.

Thats why I responded as I did. Not for your opinion. 

5 minutes ago, DWB said:

OK, rant is done.

I see what you're saying, but here's what I'd say...almost no college teams play primarily zone these days.  Too many good shooters I guess.  So Packline is just a variation of MM.  Most coaches at that level are not just going to completely change a defense that they believe in.  I'm either way with Packline, but think it's a little overplayed that it's a big deal.  It is MM defense.  Just a little twist to it.  

9 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I see what you're saying, but here's what I'd say...almost no college teams play primarily zone these days.  Too many good shooters I guess.  So Packline is just a variation of MM.  Most coaches at that level are not just going to completely change a defense that they believe in.  I'm either way with Packline, but think it's a little overplayed that it's a big deal.  It is MM defense.  Just a little twist to it.  

FWIW, I wasn't advocating zone defense. But after watching IU ball for 50 years, I know there are multiple defenses that can be engaged based on opponents, talent, etc. Many teams employ multiple defenses in a single game. We don't.

If the pack line works on MD great ! If it doesn't...what's in Archie's back pocket to use?

I'm just not a believer in one size fits all. Doesn't work in business, doesn't work on most things in my experience.

But I'm not the coach getting multi-millions. So...we'll see.

14 minutes ago, DWB said:

FWIW, I wasn't advocating zone defense. But after watching IU ball for 50 years, I know there are multiple defenses that can be engaged based on opponents, talent, etc. Many teams employ multiple defenses in a single game. We don't.

If the pack line works on MD great ! If it doesn't...what's in Archie's back pocket to use?

I'm just not a believer in one size fits all. Doesn't work in business, doesn't work on most things in my experience.

But I'm not the coach getting multi-millions. So...we'll see.

As a high school coach, I totally agree.  We always worked on MM defense a lot and tried to be good at one zone as well.  I was not married to one.  If we played a team that was better against one, we played the other primarily in that game.  I also liked to change out of a timeout, quarter break, or half.  College coaches just don't seem to do that much.  

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Negative.

I applaud you guys. It's almost like I wish we could create a thread called incessant bit-----,etc.....and when Lander picks up a foul early tonight and heads to the bench someone can go to that thread and say see....knew he wasn't a 5 star. 

Your negative posts about negativity are negatively bringing me down :)

Archived