Outback Bowl Post-Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can admit that I’m in the fair weather fan category with IU football. It was super fun finally having a nationally recognized football team and beating the likes of Penn St, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Im hoping this season is the turning point and we can become a regularly ranked team. I’m cautiously optimistic we’ll be a preseason top 20 team for 2021. 

However, today was a STRONG reminder of how far Indiana football has to go. We labeled the Outback Bowl against a 4-5 Ole Miss team our “super bowl”, and lost to a team that didn’t have 75% of their offensive production. 

I know Tom Allen has preached finish this year. But it seemed a lot of the times IU’s offense started flat. I don’t know how one would correct that but... The slow starts can’t happen next year with the schedule being tougher. I think Tom Allen will do everything to help Penix out though. Cheers everyone to good season. Let’s kick butt next year. 

Just now, Beowulf50 said:

All I have to say is that in the worst year that many of us have ever seen.... IU football has been a bright spot!! Today water found its level! What sucks is we are no longer a basketball school!! I say this because of way too many years of mediocrity!! 

The state of Indiana is still a basketball state

Disappointed in loss for sure.  However as others have stated doesn't take away from all that has been accomplished this year and the foundation CTA is laying for IUFB going forward.

Kudos to Tuttle.  Truly amazing he finished that game suffering from a separated shoulder. Kid is obviously tough as nails. We are going to need him next year since Penix seems to be much more brittle.  Seems to have enough tools to perform well with the right offensive scheme.  Hope he learns from today, heals, and gets back in the saddle for next season.

I wasn't impressed with either the OC or the DC game plan today. D had lost coverages all day long and not nearly enough pressure on theiir QB.  Seemed to have all day.  More dismayed with OC.  Obvious early in game that the run was the better option.  Didn't really commit to it until 2nd Half once Tuttle injured Then got away from it again on.final possession.  CTA also bears some responsibility since he approved the game plan and didn't demand changes when not working.  The entire coaching staff needs to learn From the problems today

Still love CTA and IUFB.  Looking forward to next season. Thanks to the seniors who are leaving after this year and congratulations on their accomplishments.  They got the IUFB program on an upward trajectory and I appreciate all the have done.  

We just looked lethargic and two steps slow all day. did someone slip a slug drug in our Gatorade? We should have run the ball a lot more way to many meaningless passes. we didn't run the ball well all year? maybe a change is needed there coach? Horrible play calling on that last drive? WTF?   

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

Which makes the play calling even more puzzling...maybe run the ball more and not force your hurt backup QB to throw 45 times!

In 2d half many of his throws were short passes to Whop and some longer "jump balls" to Fryfogle. 

Archived