2021-2022 Season

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Normally I'd say the name...but those recruits were choosing him and Georgia over Bama, Clemson,etc....which means he has something that separates himself or adds value to choose Georgi over those schools.

I know we won't be getting those types but good 4 star guys we now have as good as chance as anyone....especially in defensive backfield. 

Here's a really cool story about Warren.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/watch-recent-2021-commit-david-daniel-gets-in-a-dawgnation-conversation

• Like 2

While I'm not sure if this is a home run hire, I think it is a line drive to right center at Oracle Park where the San Francisco Giants play.  It could get cut off for a single, or it could roll to that huge gap for extra bases.  With enough luck, it could turn into an inside the park home run.  Pretty confident he won't be a strikeout though.

I think Symons would have been a roid rage Barry Bond moonshot into the bay.

15 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

While I'm not sure if this is a home run hire, I think it is a line drive to right center at Oracle Park where the San Francisco Giants play.  It could get cut off for a single, or it could roll to that huge gap for extra bases.  With enough luck, it could turn into an inside the park home run.  Pretty confident he won't be a strikeout though.

I think Symons would have been a roid rage Barry Bond moonshot into the bay.

You may be right but from a recruiting standpoint I hope this a moonshot.  

He knows what good football looks like so he will be able to identify talent.  He will also have connections to uncover some gems, hopefully early. And once a player and his family are at least listening, he can really convert.  Fingers crossed that this all turns out true. 

In terms of calling the D, that remains to be seen.  But he seems to be a sharp guy.  I’ve always felt Allen has been an A plus in terms of identifying talent and the skill sets in players that he needs to win. Hopefully we will be able to extend that to this hire.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You may be right but from a recruiting standpoint I hope this a moonshot.  

He knows what good football looks like so he will be able to identify talent. I’ve always felt Allen has been an A plus in that regard.  He will also have connections to uncover some gems, hopefully early. And once a player and his family are at least listening, he can really convert.  Fingers crossed that this all turns out true.  

I think he will fit in great with our recruiting.  From what I'm reading, he seems like a really good person, and will probably recruit great here.

My concerns are how long it has been since he has been a DC, and it seems like he's been decent, but not great at Georgia.  From reading Georgia fan's thoughts, they seem hit or miss on if this is a loss or not.  I think Georgia fans are a little crazy though.  I'm also a little nervous about him being the linebackers coach.  He doesn't have any experience doing that.

I know Allen will have a large hand in the defense, so I am confident that Allen will keep things moving well.  If Warren has an areas he's not doing well in, I'm sure Allen will take care of it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I think he will fit in great with our recruiting.  From what I'm reading, he seems like a really good person, and will probably recruit great here.

My concerns are how long it has been since he has been a DC, and it seems like he's been decent, but not great at Georgia.  From reading Georgia fan's thoughts, they seem hit or miss on if this is a loss or not.  I think Georgia fans are a little crazy though.  I'm also a little nervous about him being the linebackers coach.  He doesn't have any experience doing that.

I know Allen will have a large hand in the defense, so I am confident that Allen will keep things moving well.  If Warren has an areas he's not doing well in, I'm sure Allen will take care of it.

Georgia fans are spoiled, also I think he was coaching inexperienced players 

I guess I've never really looked closely at next year's schedule but since Mike just tweeted it out I looked at it. 4 of our first 5 Big Ten games are on road??? After that we host Ohio St....not many favors in that schedule. Should be able to close out strong with final 3 being Sparty, Minnesota, Purdue..

I've got us right on that 8-9 win season. Road games at Iowa at Michigan at Penn St will likely be the key in difference between very solid and potentially another special season.

Likely wins-Idaho, W. Kentucky, Maryland, Rutgers, Minnesota, Sparty, Purdue

Likely loss-Ohio St ( I know I know...just basing off odds)

Either way-at Iowa at Michigan at Penn St Home with Cincy

Edited by Seeking6

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess I've never really looked closely at next year's schedule but since Mike just tweeted it out I looked at it. 4 of our first 5 Big Ten games are on road??? After that we host Ohio St....not many favors in that schedule. Should be able to close out strong with final 3 being Sparty, Minnesota, Purdue..

I've got us right on that 8-9 win season. Road games at Iowa at Michigan at Penn St will likely be the key in difference between very solid and potentially another special season.

Likely wins-Idaho, W. Kentucky, Maryland, Rutgers, Minnesota, Sparty, Purdue

Likely loss-Ohio St ( I know I know...just basing off odds)

Either way-at Iowa at Michigan at Penn St Home with Cincy

We do have a tough schedule next year.  @Iowa, Minnesota, and @Purdue for our crossover games.  A lot of that depends on which Minnesota team shows up.  Non-conference game with Cincinnati.  I would love a 10+ win season, but I'd be fine with winning 8 or 9.  We just need to keep sustaining 8+ win seasons for a few years to try to help turn the narrative of IU football.

I'm not delusional enough to expect that we'll keep beating PSU and UM every year, but those aren't really the games that are must haves.  Even if we lose to OSU, PSU, and UM (not saying we should), we would still have a decent shot at a 9 win season before the bowl game.  I'd take that.  If Penix stays healthy, I don't see us losing to all 3 of those teams though.

As much as I want us to blow the ceiling off projections like we did this year, we just need to make sure we don't blow the floor out.  If we win 6 games next year, we'll lose a ton of momentum.  8+ wins and we'll be in great shape.

• Like 1

Here's an article I was just reading about the deadline.  It lists us in the winners/losers section for NFL early draft entrants.  We're under status quo.  So cool that our football program is good enough to be included in these lists.  There's probably 50 or so teams on it, but still cool to see.  Here are teams of note for our schedule next season.  This was based on what they lost or didn't lose to the draft.

Winners

Minnesota

Status Quo

Cincinnati

OSU

Losers

Iowa

Michigan

PSU

PU

42 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

From what I'm reading, it sounds like the early entrant deadline was yesterday.  Seniors have until March 1st.  So McFadden should be returning is what I'm getting out of that.

After everything... I think we came out ahead, honestly. I thought the whole time Jamar would leave.. but to get McFadden, Fryfogle, Layne, Ziemba, Norwah and Ball back to go along with AT LEAST those three 3 transfers.. I'm good with it. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

After everything... I think we came out ahead, honestly. I thought the whole time Jamar would leave.. but to get McFadden, Fryfogle, Layne, Ziemba, Norwah and Ball back to go along with AT LEAST those three 3 transfers.. I'm good with it. 

I was hoping for 1 of Fryfogle/Whop, and 1 of Jamar/McFadden to come back.  We hit on both, replaced Whop with Matthews, replaced Crider with Carpenter, and had pretty good luck with the rest of the seniors.  I'm really happy with how things worked out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I was hoping for 1 of Fryfogle/Whop, and 1 of Jamar/McFadden to come back.  We hit on both, replaced Whop with Matthews, replaced Crider with Carpenter, and had pretty good luck with the rest of the seniors.  I'm really happy with how things worked out.

I'm really surprised we got Ball back too... happy though. 

Layne isn't a stud, but a very solid, experienced football player. We could have used both of them in the bowl game. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Layne isn't a stud, but a very solid, experienced football player. We could have used both of them in the bowl game. 

Exactly.  And you can never have too many DBs that can play.  And Layne will really come up and pop you with authority for a DB.  And he plays his strength well to get into you at the LOS.  But he’s not blazing fast.  The switch to S should be interesting.  He seems to have the skill set and he’s had a year to think about his assignments.  

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Exactly.  And you can never have too many DBs that can play.  And Layne will really come up and pop you with authority for a DB.  And he plays his strength well to get into you at the LOS.  But he’s not blazing fast.  The switch to S should be interesting.  He seems to have the skill set and he’s had a year to think about his assignments.  

Here's our list of DBs/huskies for next year.

Layne, Matthews, Taylor, Mullen, Burgess, Ball, Williams, Fitzgerald.  That's a pretty sick 2 deep.  There were a handful of younger guys who saw some time and have some promise.  I know Sanguinetti has seen some play, Bonds got into some games this year as a true freshman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Hopefully the year off helped Ball get his head back into things.  As a freshman, I thought he would be a guy who might leave early for the draft, but I was pretty disappointed in his play last year.  He went from 75 tackles as a freshman, to only 45 as a junior.  Made a couple dumb penalties last year too.  Hopefully he's ready to prove himself in his senior year.

I will say, he was really good at getting to the QB on blitzes.  He had a few sacks he missed, but he was about the only guy who would get pressure last year.  Would have liked to have seen him with all the blitzing we did this year.  He's definitely a freak athlete, so hopefully he can put together a great senior season.

• Like 1