Tuttle played through separated shoulder

I feel like we didn't get the real picture of Tuttle today.  I think we panicked when we got behind, and went away from the run which would have really helped him out.  Then once he got hurt, that obviously took away a lot of his arm strength and accuracy.  Props to him for playing through it and fighting the whole way.  He wasn't afraid to scramble even though you could tell he was hurting.

6 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

You could tell he wasn't right after the injury. That took some guts to play it out like he did. I'm sure he earned major respect from all of his teammates for his efforts and grit. IU will need him again in the future.

While I agree that we likely will,  have to say I hope it is later rather than sooner, unless Tuttle can beat out Penix Jr.

I'd rather see Penix make it start to finish uninjured, through the entire schedule, as it stands right now.

Some may disagree but if im the coach Tuttle is my QB going forward....keep in mind yesterday was only his 2nd start...ever!...kid is tuff,has good size,arm strength,can run and i think has good leadership skills...he only runs the plays that are called in ...and that is where some of the problems were yesterday imo.

36 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Some may disagree but if im the coach Tuttle is my QB going forward....keep in mind yesterday was only his 2nd start...ever!...kid is tuff,has good size,arm strength,can run and i think has good leadership skills...he only runs the plays that are called in ...and that is where some of the problems were yesterday imo.

Personally I hope the McCulley kid comes and and takes the starting spot.

Nothing specific at anyone's comments but it still amazes me how undervalued Penix is to some. His arm stretches the field, he can run and he's got a calmness about him that players like to see from their QB. 

McCulley is a very good player and my guess is he'll play some but likely be a learning/redshirt year (4 games max). Penix on the field yesterday and we win going away. Shoot Ole Miss was jamming the line because they knew Tuttle couldn't throw. 

18 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

My thought is , what does this say about Dexter Williams that the coaches opted to play a hurt Tuttle instead?

I wouldn't read too much into it.  He's only a true freshman who has only had a couple weeks of practice as the #2 QB.  If your #1 QB says he's good to go, it is really tough to make the decision to put him on the bench.  Tuttle definitely struggled after he got hurt, but he wasn't completely incapable of playing.  Reports from the spring were that Williams was impressing people, so I'm still hopeful he'll turn out alright.

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Nothing specific at anyone's comments but it still amazes me how undervalued Penix is to some. His arm stretches the field, he can run and he's got a calmness about him that players like to see from their QB. 

McCulley is a very good player and my guess is he'll play some but likely be a learning/redshirt year (4 games max). Penix on the field yesterday and we win going away. Shoot Ole Miss was jamming the line because they knew Tuttle couldn't throw. 

I agree.  Not a chance that anybody starts over Penix as long as he is here.  And that's nothing against anybody else.  Penix is just on a different level at this point in time.  Tuttle, McCulley, and Williams might have potential, but I'd be shocked if any of them beat out Penix.

I hate it ,but my concern of Penix is the obvious one. Can he get though a season. He seems to be one of those unfortunate athletes that always gets injured! He only a talent if he can stay on the field. 
The other thing that upsets me is , you know it as well as I do. People outside the program are saying nice year for the Hoosiers but, in the end it’s still Indiana football. 

Oldiufan is right . . . it is difficult to hear those that say "same old IU".  Perhaps worse is attending IU's second bowl game in a row and both times exiting the stadium to opposing fans saying, "Welcome to the S - E - C".  I hope someday to attend an IU bowl game in which IU defeats an SEC team so they will shut the hell up.

37 minutes ago, iu2win said:

Oldiufan is right . . . it is difficult to hear those that say "same old IU".  Perhaps worse is attending IU's second bowl game in a row and both times exiting the stadium to opposing fans saying, "Welcome to the S - E - C".  I hope someday to attend an IU bowl game in which IU defeats an SEC team so they will shut the hell up.

We will get there. Playing against and winning against the SEC is a good goal. Thank you for going to the game yesterday. Wish I could have gone. We need to continue to support the program in every way we can. Coach Allen should inspire us all to support them. 

Tuttle is going to be key to this team continuing the winning trend next year.  I am concerned about Penix ever being able to put a full season together.  Tuttle has the size and skill set to lead this team.  Is Penix better based off history and what we have seen, yes.  At this point I hope he could have an injury free year next year but the trend has not been that way.  Honestly I am concerned if he will be truly ready for the start of fall.

If Penix is ready Tuttle needs to see the field early in blowouts and whenever it makes to get him in.  He needs to be as ready as he can be to take the reins when called upon.

On 1/3/2021 at 4:01 PM, OLDIUFAN said:

I hate it ,but my concern of Penix is the obvious one. Can he get though a season. He seems to be one of those unfortunate athletes that always gets injured! He only a talent if he can stay on the field. 
The other thing that upsets me is , you know it as well as I do. People outside the program are saying nice year for the Hoosiers but, in the end it’s still Indiana football. 

Im not Catholic, but I will dip my hand in Holy Water and pray to God, the Father, and Holy Ghost and knead Rosary Beads to get Penix through an entire season.  

Archived