Home Theater and Audiophile thread

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's the single largest contributor to my hearing loss at 56.  I dealt in car audio as a side hustle in college and used to change out stereo equipment in my car about every six months.

I only did it cause they told me to...😉

8996786011_a88cedfa23_n.jpg.4c227053b8eff427d18aab285d92d48d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's the single largest contributor to my hearing loss at 56.  I dealt in car audio as a side hustle in college and used to change out stereo equipment in my car about every six months.

But is was DAMN important to have a rocking car stereo back in the day. My stereo was usually worth more than my car! 

I don’t think I have any hearing loss that I can tell at 53, but tinnitus is a real bitch sometimes. 

11 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

But is was DAMN important to have a rocking car stereo back in the day. My stereo was usually worth more than my car! 

I don’t think I have any hearing loss that I can tell at 53, but tinnitus is a real bitch sometimes. 

Absolutely.  We grew up ROCKING to some great music.  I blew my share of speakers and shook a lot of windows, but we were entertained!

My hearing loss is fairly mild right now, but I expect it will get worse over time.  Closed captioning is a real life-saver with a wife constantly saying "can you turn that down a little?"

I too have some tinnitus.  Just a mild annoyance most of the time and I usually don't even think about it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Absolutely.  We grew up ROCKING to some great music.  I blew my share of speakers and shook a lot of windows, but we were entertained!

My hearing loss is fairly mild right now, but I expect it will get worse over time.  Closed captioning is a real life-saver with a wife constantly saying "can you turn that down a little?"

I too have some tinnitus.  Just a mild annoyance most of the time and I usually don't even think about it.

Hearing aids that bluetooth to the TV. ... You don't even know she's in the room!

Follow me for more marital hints, tips and tricks!

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

17 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Gee, thanks a lot you guys. While my wife was out and about yesterday, I listened to "Houses of the Holy" at a high volume and this morning I'm having to use the transcript function on MS Teams to understand anything 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/26/2021 at 2:09 PM, FKIM01 said:

I’ve alwyas thought that about the music from that time period. Feel blessed to have got to grow up with it. Glad your tinnitus isn’t too bad. Mine can make me pretty cranky at times - even crankier than usual.

On 10/26/2021 at 4:00 PM, hoosier_exotics said:

My front two subs are 1500 a piece.  The JTR will take things up a notch 😆 

Just a notch! 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Anybody pretty well-versed with Dolby Atmos? 

Long story short, I was just going to get a sound bar and sub for our basement TV, because the only the kids use it. But after a new couch, bigger TV, etc. I'm thinking about doing something a little more.

The idea of Atmos looks intriguing, but I want true Atmos tech with upward firing speakers. The Vizio Elevate 5.1.4 is apparently a 'true' Atmos system that doesn't break the budget. That said, I'm still reading about obstacles that can get in the way of getting the Atmos features: a newer TV HDMI ARC inputs, only certain movies are offered in Atmos, the streaming service, the hardware the streaming service streams through, etc., etc. 

I don't even know if I'm set-up properly with the devices I have to get Atmos, and if that's the case there's no point in getting an Atmos system. 

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Long story short, I was just going to get a sound bar and sub for our basement TV, because the only the kids use it. But after a new couch, bigger TV, etc. I'm thinking about doing something a little more.

The idea of Atmos looks intriguing, but I want true Atmos tech with upward firing speakers. The Vizio Elevate 5.1.4 is apparently a 'true' Atmos system that doesn't break the budget. That said, I'm still reading about obstacles that can get in the way of getting the Atmos features: a newer TV HDMI ARC inputs, only certain movies are offered in Atmos, the streaming service, the hardware the streaming service streams through, etc., etc. 

I don't even know if I'm set-up properly with the devices I have to get Atmos, and if that's the case there's no point in getting an Atmos system. 

These were on sale last month for $499 a pair...Maybe they will go back on sale before the holidays are over.

https://www.adorama.com/kpr26fad2.html?sdtid=15396619&emailprice=t&sterm=WGWzKb3tuxyOTO%3AwUx0Mo3cgUkGwx0W-PQJw2w0&utm_source=rflaid62905

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

These were on sale last month for $499 a pair...Maybe they will go back on sale before the holidays are over.

https://www.adorama.com/kpr26fad2.html?sdtid=15396619&emailprice=t&sterm=WGWzKb3tuxyOTO%3AwUx0Mo3cgUkGwx0W-PQJw2w0&utm_source=rflaid62905

Thanks, but I'm looking to stay minimalistic. Sound bar, wireless sub and rear speakers. Hope that did't make some people cringe. My days of huge speakers and towers are over; just looking for something practical that sounds good. 

9 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Thanks, but I'm looking to stay minimalistic. Sound bar, wireless sub and rear speakers. Hope that did't make some people cringe. My days of huge speakers and towers are over; just looking for something practical that sounds good. 

I get it. My wife is upset with me because I recently bought some new speakers/sub for family room (towers/bookshelf rears/center).

6 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Your receiver will need to be atmos capable,  so start there.  We run 7.3.4

Atmos is cool, but a lot of movies are really lacking.. the demos sound great, but i havent found a movie that compares.

I find myself using Auro 3d on most movies to get the most from my ceiling speakers

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Your receiver will need to be atmos capable,  so start there.  We run 7.3.4

Atmos is cool, but a lot of movies are really lacking.. the demos sound great, but i havent found a movie that compares.

I find myself using Auro 3d on most movies to get the most from my ceiling speakers

Thanks. So, am I getting this correct? Not only is there a limited selection of movies with Atmos, but there are only certain parts of these movie that produce that ‘sound dome’ effect?

47 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Thanks. So, am I getting this correct? Not only is there a limited selection of movies with Atmos, but there are only certain parts of these movie that produce that ‘sound dome’ effect?

Thats correct! It is very cool when they are used, but it is nothing like the demos... buy a receiver that supports atmos and auro 3d.  That will allow you to use all of your speakers...  Lately i just leave it on auro 3d.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Dang, all I have is a Samsung sound bar from China mart. I might need to upgrade. 

I'm really looking for something not too expensive that does the job for the basement tv (which the kids are usually on). There are a few sound bar options (no receiver) with this technology, but I'm just questioning if it's worth it and deciphering which options have true atmos and which have simulated atmos. And sound bars have come a long way in terms of sound quality that bounce sound off walls and the ceiling with up and side firing speakers (described below). I'm guessing this is where sound is going, but right now the tech is relatively new, and from what I'm reading, a bitty 'buggy'. And I also don't want to be like that chump who bought a 240hz TV 15 years ago only to learn that nothing is really broadcast or shown in 240hz. 

• Like 1