Home Theater and Audiophile thread

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We need to bring the weed talk over here, because music and weed go together...

Or so my friends back in the 70s told me...

😯

I remember the chant, “ Drugs, S3/, Rock and Roll!”

Hey, I think I’m going to post a new addition to the forgotten movie thread!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

It is often said on the big audio forums that the best/cheapest investment you can make in your stereo system is a bag of weed. 

I remember a road trip with my wife (at the time) and my good friend, South Bend to the Florida Keys, we realized that the only 8 track we brought with us was AC/DC Back in Black,! Let’s just say I have loving and hateful memories of that 8 track!

Weed helped!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Haha 2

On 2/26/2021 at 10:50 AM, tdhoosier said:

Thanks for validating that it 'wasn't just me'. haha. 

It's funny, because specifically that album makes you think how the art of mastering trumps even the technological advances. I have a few current 'headphone vinyls' - the one that comes to mind is M83 - Hurry up, We're Dreaming. The writer/producer of M83 is Alex Gonzalez and he's no slouch. He's written scores for movies and has a unique knack for the ethereal. And as big as 'Hurry Up, We're Dreaming' may sound on the surface (with all the layering, multitude of instruments and synths), it just doesn't hold up to Brothers In Arms - an album made in the 80s. It's just crazy to think about. 

Knowing that Sultans Of Swing has that same sound quality, I'll be keeping my eye out for it. 

edit/add: and to be specific, I'm listening to the original pressing, not the re-released 2LP/180G

I have Brothers in Arms album and it sounds amazing. Wait...I'm over 40 too so I'm allowed to be here right? 😀

I have a Yamaha receiver currently and bought some new Polk S60 speakers https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107SIGS60/Polk-Audio-Signature-S60-Washed-Black-Walnut.html?awcp=&awcr=309979299511&awdv=c&awkw=polk+s60&awmt=p&awnw=g&awug=9016394&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5eKZpN-P7wIV6cmUCR2OUQYqEAAYASAAEgIO7fD_BwE  last year.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I have Brothers in Arms album and it sounds amazing. Wait...I'm over 40 too so I'm allowed to be here right? 😀

I have a Yamaha receiver currently and bought some new Polk S60 speakers https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107SIGS60/Polk-Audio-Signature-S60-Washed-Black-Walnut.html?awcp=&awcr=309979299511&awdv=c&awkw=polk+s60&awmt=p&awnw=g&awug=9016394&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5eKZpN-P7wIV6cmUCR2OUQYqEAAYASAAEgIO7fD_BwE  last year.

Yamaha and Polk definitely make you an audiophile - and you ar over 40. This is the place for you! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Ran Polk for numerous years.  I almost built another system around them. Good stuff

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 6:15 PM, Lostin76 said:

I will. I had also really been considering a new Yamaha AS-2200. Different look, but those view meters make me weak in the knees. Not sure how old you are, but this one screams 1970s to me. 

8555356F-B368-48F6-ABCB-B48046677884.jpeg

Why did I miss this the first time through? Anyway reminds me of a story from the early 70's😛. Anyway at school in Angola, my friend says hey they have a program this weekend in Ft Wayne to bring in your amp and have it tested. He and I both had Heathkit's (remember the build it yourself electronics?) he had the top end receiver and I had the next model down. So we get there and it's being put on by Marantz, so it was obvious why they were putting it on. The guy in front of us had like THE Mac Daddy amp of the time a Crown Amp! After the test the tech asked what type of speakers he had Blah, anyway the tech said that's probably your problem, you have too much amp for the speakers and of course suggested some Marantz speakers. Next my friend went, his system actually tested a bit lower than spec, but still well. Tech asked what kind of speakers he had, he PROUDLY announced Bose 901's. (remeber those they were like THE speaker of the time) Tech said that's your problem, you don't have enough amp to properly drive the speakers, and of course suggested a Marantz. Now my system, tested much better than spec(guess I do know how to handle a soldering iron). Anyway, he asks what kind of speakers I had and I answered Acoustic Research AR 6's. He smiled and said sounds pretty good doesn't it! I said yes it does!

Moral of the story is you need to make sure your components play well with each other!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Yamaha and Polk definitely make you an audiophile - and you ar over 40. This is the place for you! 

I honestly wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I do a lot of research before buying in search of a good sound. My setup is in a finished basement so I can "crank it up" at times.  I am happy with the speakers...I even bought the matching center and rear for 5.1. for movies....but haven't had a chance to hook up/mount the rear speakers yet.

I think my Yamaha receiver is maybe 3-4 years old now. It replaced my old Onkyo. I still have my Onkyo 6 disc cd changer hooked up as well as record player.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I honestly wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I do a lot of research before buying in search of a good sound. My setup is in a finished basement so I can "crank it up" at times.  I am happy with the speakers...I even bought the matching center and rear for 5.1. for movies....but haven't had a chance to hook up/mount the rear speakers yet.

I think my Yamaha receiver is maybe 3-4 years old now. It replaced my old Onkyo. I still have my Onkyo 6 disc cd changer hooked up as well as record player.

If you have the ability,  add a second sub. You will love the extra power for movies and music, especially in a larger basement. 

Edited by hoosier_exotics
  • Like 1

For those of you into music that I was giving you a hard time about, do other people notice a difference?  I've never heard any of the systems you're talking about, so I'm kind of curious if other people notice much difference, or is it one of those things that you need an appreciation for it to notice it?  Just kind of curious.

14 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I have my basement wired for surround, but I don't have the money for a projector yet, so I haven't seen a need to get the speakers yet.  I'm really looking forward to cranking it so the neighbors know what I'm watching!

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I have my basement wired for surround, but I don't have the money for a projector yet, so I haven't seen a need to get the speakers yet.  I'm really looking forward to cranking it so the neighbors know what I'm watching!

I only have a 65 inch tv down here right now...I probably won't upgrade for a couple years to either a projector or 82 inch. I wanted to upgrade my speakers first since I listen to music more down here than watch movies.

How is your house coming along anyway? Are you finished working on it (I know I know...nobody's ever really done working on their house ha)?

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I only have a 65 inch tv down here right now...I probably won't upgrade for a couple years to either a projector or 82 inch. I wanted to upgrade my speakers first since I listen to music more down here than watch movies.

How is your house coming along anyway? Are you finished working on it (I know I know...nobody's ever really done working on their house ha)?

I haven't been able to do much on my house the last few months.  I'm at the point where I should probably just hire people to get some things done, I just don't want to haha.  This spring and summer I should be able to get all finished.  Well, "finished" at least!  I have a lot of big 5-10 year projects.

When I was doing the wiring, I wired up for 9 speakers on both the main floor and in the basement (7 in living room, 1 in bedroom, 1 in bathroom).  Then I can have all my music things together and choose which room I want to play it in.  I have the main floor set up with a Yamaha 5.1 right now.  My set up could have been better, but it is still a lot better than nothing.  I was trying to figure out where to wire in the speakers when I was standing in a gutted house, so it was tough to visualize.  The back 2 could have been further back.  Not having any wires showing except for about an 6 inch wire behind each speaker is a pretty good trade off though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I haven't been able to do much on my house the last few months.  I'm at the point where I should probably just hire people to get some things done, I just don't want to haha.  This spring and summer I should be able to get all finished.  Well, "finished" at least!  I have a lot of big 5-10 year projects.

When I was doing the wiring, I wired up for 9 speakers on both the main floor and in the basement (7 in living room, 1 in bedroom, 1 in bathroom).  Then I can have all my music things together and choose which room I want to play it in.  I have the main floor set up with a Yamaha 5.1 right now.  My set up could have been better, but it is still a lot better than nothing.  I was trying to figure out where to wire in the speakers when I was standing in a gutted house, so it was tough to visualize.  The back 2 could have been further back.  Not having any wires showing except for about an 6 inch wire behind each speaker is a pretty good trade off though.

Good luck with "finishing" things up this spring/summer. I understand...we always have projects lined up it seems...and I try to do a lot of the work myself also. We have been discussing a possible move to be a little closer to wife's work...if we do, I know it will just start all over again ha.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 6:43 PM, Drroogh said:

Why did I miss this the first time through? Anyway reminds me of a story from the early 70's😛. Anyway at school in Angola, my friend says hey they have a program this weekend in Ft Wayne to bring in your amp and have it tested. He and I both had Heathkit's (remember the build it yourself electronics?) he had the top end receiver and I had the next model down. So we get there and it's being put on by Marantz, so it was obvious why they were putting it on. The guy in front of us had like THE Mac Daddy amp of the time a Crown Amp! After the test the tech asked what type of speakers he had Blah, anyway the tech said that's probably your problem, you have too much amp for the speakers and of course suggested some Marantz speakers. Next my friend went, his system actually tested a bit lower than spec, but still well. Tech asked what kind of speakers he had, he PROUDLY announced Bose 901's. (remeber those they were like THE speaker of the time) Tech said that's your problem, you don't have enough amp to properly drive the speakers, and of course suggested a Marantz. Now my system, tested much better than spec(guess I do know how to handle a soldering iron). Anyway, he asks what kind of speakers I had and I answered Acoustic Research AR 6's. He smiled and said sounds pretty good doesn't it! I said yes it does!

Moral of the story is you need to make sure your components play well with each other!

Ha, I remember the Bose 901 speakers. My group of friends thought those were the holy grail of speakers. 

21 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

For those of you into music that I was giving you a hard time about, do other people notice a difference?  I've never heard any of the systems you're talking about, so I'm kind of curious if other people notice much difference, or is it one of those things that you need an appreciation for it to notice it?  Just kind of curious.

I don’t think you need an appreciation or a special ear. I do think most people just don’t care about or notice the difference, especially when you consider the price. My wife can tell the difference in sound for sure, but she would be happy with a modest cheap setup or her phone and earbuds. She would never spend the money on high end equipment. Just like I would never spend a lot of money on clothes and shoes I guess. I’m happy wearing my shoes until they fall apart. 

It’s kind of like cameras. Most people are probably happy with their phone cameras. After all, they take really nice photos now. But, there is just a huge difference in quality when you use a nice full frame camera - or even better a film-based medium or large format camera. Yet, most people when they see two photos from the two don’t really notice much of a difference. When you start pointing out things like resolution, smearing, and the transition from in focus to out of focus areas, then it’s obvious that there is a difference. But in almost all situations a phone camera is really all you need.

I honestly wish those differences didn’t matter to me. It would be a HELL of a lot cheaper for me between cameras and audio equipment. 

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

listened to this in the car loudly yesterday, which brought me back to this thread and our discussion about amazingly mastered albums.

Just when you think Billy can't push it anymore, he finds a way to turn it to 11. *must be listened to loudly to get your hair blown back.....or whatever hair you have left since apparently everyone contributing to this thread is 'old'.*

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1