Tennessee Tech Post Game Thread

2 minutes ago, madmax said:

Not enough to wash the taste of Monday’s game out of my mouth, but all things considered this was a good win. Didn’t let our foot off the gas and overall played good defense. Good win.

If it makes you feel any better, Fort Wayne beat Liberty tonight.  By 11 points.  :coffee:

Personally, I liked Andy Katz as a color man for our game.  Finally, a color man who spends nearly the entire time talking about the game. He continued to keep us informed.  Even when the game started  to get out of hand. He attended shoot around.   Talked to our coaches about the TT game.  And explained how things he saw in the shoot around were being utilized during the game.  Also, when guys got injured, he came back with what the injuries were.  So many other color men don't do things like that.  For me, give me Andy Katz every time, for every IU game on the BTN, the rest of the season. 

Just now, JerseyHoosier said:

Nice second half by this team after a lackluster first half, minus the late run. Games like this are good for confidence building and getting a team back in rhythm but the strong individual performance by players like (Newkirk this game) have to carry over into consistent performances moving forward. 

Consistency is the main problem.  Would not surprise me at all to see us turn the ball over 18 times and play poor defense against Youngstown State next week.  

Btw, its too bad McSwain has struggled to give this type of performance against higher quality teams. He seems to make an impact against lower tier teams but is limited by his height/length against teams that bring a strong front line. Good game for him tonight after not seeing the court much for the last stretch of games. 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Consistency is the main problem.  Would not surprise me at all to see us turn the ball over 18 times and play poor defense against Youngstown State next week.  

Getting the bad taste out from the FW debacle is going to take time, but I'll bet we don't see that kind of fallback to bad TO's against Youngstown State. 

This was a step in the right direction. 

17 assists to 10 TO's. And 10 steals.

Held a team that shoots the three well to 27.8% from the arc. 

Won running away without a lapse. 

The senior guards played well, shot efficiently, 4 TO's between them. Newkirk had 6 assists.

The intensity and energy was there.

And what about the ball movement? It was there all night.

This is the way this IU team can play, when they get locked in. I think we'll start to see this more regularly.

13 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

It was nice to see Justin Smith get meaningful minutes again and play well. 

I'll admit I don't understand why he has not been playing.  Every game he's had extended time, he's contributed. Yes, he's a freshman, and he's been inconsistent.  But, so has Durham.  Heck, our Seniors are wildly inconsistent, so I'm not sure why more should be expected of Smith. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I didn’t know where to put this, but is it time to think about starting McRoberts to get away from the 3-guard lineup and get more length in the lineup? 

Yes.  Durham's performance has flattened out, so I would push him back to the bench.  He seemed much more comfortable in that role anyway.  And, as long as you have any hopes of salvaging the season, you need contributions from Newkirk & Johnson, so they need to stay in.  

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I didn’t know where to put this, but is it time to think about starting McRoberts to get away from the 3-guard lineup and get more length in the lineup? 

I 100% agree with this.  He showed tonight you can not leave him on the perimeter or he will make a shot, he filled the stat sheet tonight. 8 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal and 0 turnovers in 22 minutes.  Those are the numbers of a extremely solid player.

I think if we were going to see a change to the lineup, it would have been tonight after the debacle with Ft Wayne. I’d assume this lineup will remain for a while barring disaster with Youngstown State. Though even then, I’d wager it would take several consecutive poor performances to see a change.

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Ya, I'd go with...

Davis - anchor

Morgan - go to guy

McBob - swiss army knife

ROJO - outside defense n shooting-ish

Green - best facilitator n play maker

That gives us Newkirk n Al to balance each other with Hartman to settle things down. 

3 hours ago, bstall76 said:

That is true, but a 6'6" guard is different than the 6'2" guards we have been starting, he rebounds like a forward, and can probably guard small forwards.

This is also true. If he can start knocking down the open three like he is starting to show I actually think he can be a really good role player. 

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

McRoberts should start, but he plays guard for us. 

Doesnt really matter what the label of the position is, I’d really more term him a “wing”, but as long as it gets us away from having 3 guys that are 6’2”, I’m good. 

Edit: Was really encouraging to see him not only make a couple threes, but even just taking a few is a good thing. 

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

Sure, if he can be a competent shooter. He doesn't have to be great. He just needs to be willing to shoot when open, and hit something like 30-35% to make the defense respect him. I don't see practice, so I don't know if he's truly a bad shooter or it's just a case of nerves taking over in games. If it's the latter, last night was a big step in the right direction.

Still would love to see Hartman get some time at the 3 as well, depending on matchups.

Archived