Tennessee Tech Post Game Thread

53 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Sure, if he can be a competent shooter. He doesn't have to be great. He just needs to be willing to shoot when open, and hit something like 30-35% to make the defense respect him. I don't see practice, so I don't know if he's truly a bad shooter or it's just a case of nerves taking over in games. If it's the latter, last night was a big step in the right direction.

Still would love to see Hartman get some time at the 3 as well, depending on matchups.

I just think McRoberts has been better than Hartman. Hartman, understandably, seems a step slow and is having trouble finding his range. McRoberts just brings so many other things to the table, sort of like a fully healthy Hartman used too, that even if he's not scoring, he's really valuable. It would be great if it was a step in the right direction for McRoberts shooting last night. I think just that fact the took a few was a step in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I just think McRoberts has been better than Hartman. Hartman, understandably, seems a step slow and is having trouble finding his range. McRoberts just brings so many other things to the table, sort of like a fully healthy Hartman used too, that even if he's not scoring, he's really valuable. It would be great if it was a step in the right direction for McRoberts shooting last night. I think just that fact the took a few was a step in the right direction. 

There's just such a gap between the two shooting the ball. Hartman's percentage isn't great right now, but it's a small sample and the defense still fears his jump shot. His presence creates space for others. Teams play off of McRoberts and will do so more aggressively now that he's been on tape more, as a bigger part of the rotation. It's going to kill our spacing unless he proves he can make people pay. Hartman also (in my eyes) is the better passer, and better finisher of the two. Just a more skilled basketball player overall.

But if last night is for real, and McRoberts can shoot the ball, I can live with him in the starting lineup. He's a good athlete and he plays really hard. He does a lot of good things as a role player.

1 minute ago, Shooter said:

There's just such a gap between the two shooting the ball. Hartman's percentage isn't great right now, but it's a small sample and the defense still fears his jump shot. His presence creates space for others. Teams play off of McRoberts and will do so more aggressively now that he's been on tape more, as a bigger part of the rotation. It's going to kill our spacing unless he proves he can make people pay. Hartman also (in my eyes) is the better passer, and better finisher of the two. Just a more skilled basketball player overall.

But if last night is for real, and McRoberts can shoot the ball, I can live with him in the starting lineup. He's a good athlete and he plays really hard. He does a lot of good things as a role player.

Can't disagree with any of that.

Another potential benefit of moving either McRoberts or Hartman into the starting lineup could be finding some more minutes for Smith (assuming he deserves them from practice). In general all of that would make the team longer and more athletic, and get things away from 3-guards all the time. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Can't disagree with any of that.

Another potential benefit of moving either McRoberts or Hartman into the starting lineup could be finding some more minutes for Smith (assuming he deserves them from practice). In general all of that would make the team longer and more athletic, and get things away from 3-guards all the time. 

Agree 100%. I've been saying this for a while. I am not against a 3 guard lineup in principle, but I don't really get it for this team. Our guards are very mediocre. Why are we married to playing three guards at all times while a talented guy like Smith rides the pine?

Good comments by all.  

I thought the story of the game was McRoberts launching several shots.  They had a profile video of him drilling the one three and his form looked great.  

I like Hartman as much as anyone, and have always talked him up, but lately McRoberts has been even better IMO.  If you listed our best players in order right now, you won't take too long to get McRoberts if he keeps this up.  Plus/minus can be misleading but I wonder where he ranks on the team.  I'd guess first.  That doesn't make him the best player, but it does show his value.

He just needs to shoot to keep the defense honest.  If he hits a three or two a game, that's a plus.  If he hits one three, has one drive, and one put back, now you've got 7 points without much difficulty.  If he gets minutes, he will get a half dozen boards, and a couple of assists.  As I keep saying, good things happen when he's on the court.

I guess its the cathartic nature of message boards moreso than the average fickleness with certain fandom, but, I still marvel at a thread following victory being two pages and one following the previous loss being 11 pages.

A challenge: try showing up to celebrate a victory, analyze the improvements, etc as often as you do to complain and commiserate following a loss. 

2 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

I guess its the cathartic nature of message boards moreso than the average fickleness with certain fandom, but, I still marvel at a thread following victory being two pages and one following the previous loss being 11 pages.

A challenge: try showing up to celebrate a victory, analyze the improvements, etc as often as you do to complain and commiserate following a loss. 

Seconded!

4 hours ago, zerawkid said:

This is nothing new. I know you were around on the "other" board. It's just what fans do.....

4 hours ago, zerawkid said:

not really apples to apples picking a loss to FW and a win against TT.  If we had beaten Duke, do you think there would have only been 2 pages.  I don't think so.  But you are correct that losses generate more pages on average.  No one likes to lose and since the changing of the guard most fan were/are hoping for different results than the last couple years.

Archived