Annoying Aging and Health Issues

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Glad I’m not the only one. It can be really annoying!

I know I'm younger than the rest of you guys but I have a ringing in my left ear 24/7. Makes it hard to go to sleep and hear high pitch sounds. I cant get a good nights sleep due to hip discomfort.

I was pretty reckless when I was younger. Im not feeling all the pains you guys are yet but getting up in the morning is taking more time than it used too, looking for some ideas or advice to prolong it?

6 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I know I'm younger than the rest of you guys but I have a ringing in my left ear 24/7. Makes it hard to go to sleep and hear high pitch sounds. I cant get a good nights sleep due to hip discomfort.

I was pretty reckless when I was younger. Im not feeling all the pains you guys are yet but getting up in the morning is taking more time than it used too, looking for some ideas or advice to prolong it?

Honestly, I feel like the best way to keep that stuff at bay is to stay active. Walk as much as you can and stand, move around as much as you can. At 52, I don’t really have any aches or regular pains and don’t take any medication. I think it’s a more active lifestyle that helps as my more sedentary friends of the same age are much heavier and have a lot of health issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ever since I was about 55 (ages ago), anytime I'd complain to my Doc about aches and pains, he'd say "You're at that age...". And unfortunately, he was right. 

One heart attack later (2 stents & a balloon), the downfall had started. Now, at almost 70, I've had 2 hip replacements, a knee replacement, and a triple by-pass.

Believe it or not, the knee replacement was by far, the worst. I'll go to a wheel chair before I have another one done. Hips are a piece of cake, IF your surgeon goes in from the front of your thigh/hip. Recovery is 3-4 weeks, and you leave the hospital with no restrictions. I divorced the walker before I left the hospital the next day. Could have played golf in week 4 if I wanted to.

I won't go into the stupid stuff I did when I was young & dumb. (and at my age I probably don't remember it that well anyway!)

Edited by DWB

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Ever since I was about 55 (ages ago), anytime I'd complain to my Doc about aches and pains, he'd say "You're at that age...". And unfortunately, he was right. 

One heart attack later (2 stents & a balloon), the downfall had started. Now, at almost 70, I've had 2 hip replacements, a knee replacement, and a triple by-pass.

Believe it or not, the knee replacement was by far, the worst. I'll go to a wheel chair before I have another one done. Hips are a piece of cake, IF your surgeon goes in from the front of your thigh/hip. Recovery is 3-4 weeks, and you leave the hospital with no restrictions. I divorced the walker before I left the hospital the next day. Could have played golf in week 4 if I wanted to.

I won't go into the stupid stuff I did when I was young & dumb. (and at my age I probably don't remember it that well anyway!)

Hats off to you, brother...Glad you've persevered...

I'll second the knee replacement thought...not from personal experience but close...My sister (15 months older than me) had it back in 2016...They prescribed her morphine for the pain, and she never go off of it...She was abusing it toward the end...Took her in her sleep 3 years ago January 3rd (they think she passed on New Years morning but they didn't find her til the 3rd)...Accidental OD

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'll second the knee replacement thought...not from personal experience but close...My sister (15 months older than me) had it back in 2016...They prescribed her morphine for the pain, and she never go off of it...She was abusing it toward the end...Took her in her sleep 3 years ago January 3rd (they think she passed on New Years morning but they didn't find her til the 3rd)...Accidental OD

Really sorry for your loss.  That's sad and devastating.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Damn, man. That’s horrible. I am so sorry for you and your family. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Sorry for your loss, that's hard. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

How many here played a lot of football in their youth?  I swear all my aches and pains are due to all the hits I took in HS.  Can I sue the IHSAA?  LOL

You should have tried hockey. 

True story -- my mom didn't want me playing running back/football, so she put me in hockey. 😆 I still haven't figured that one out.

I've broken virtually every bone in my body, put guys through and over the boards, put guys in the hospital, been put in the hospital, knocked people out, and it was all a blast at the time.... But now I'm older ....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DWB said:

Really sorry for your loss.  That's sad and devastating.

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Damn, man. That’s horrible. I am so sorry for you and your family. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Sorry for your loss, that's hard. 

Thanks...she was a bit of a lost soul...Very rebellious when she was young. We had an adversarial relationship that lasted into middle age (mostly dealing with her lack of responsibility and parenting...basically making our parents raise her 3 kids...) but we had reconciled at about 50 or so...She had been a CPA for Columbia House Records, but was made to retire because she was declared legally blind, got screwed on her 401k, and was living alone in Terre Haute on about 2K a month social security disability...her kids lived there too, but they didn't give her much time...

Her nurse called me about a month before she passed away and asked me if I was aware of how she was going through 2 weeks worth of morphine in 4 days, and that the Dr just kept writing refills...I had noticed that my sister would call me a lot, and tell me some wild tales about people tapping her phone and whatnot, but, to be honest, I probably should have been more engaged...

One of those see/hear something, do something lessons in life...

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I've broken virtually every bone in my body, put guys through and over the boards, put guys in the hospital, been put in the hospital, knocked people out, and it was all a blast at the time.... 

Now THAT explains a few things...lol

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Sorry for your loss. I refuse to take that addictive stuff. My hip replacement was as smooth as silk.

I have open heart surgery coming up to replace my aortic valve and I am praying I am tough enough to stay away off the opioids.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Thanks...she was a bit of a lost soul...Very rebellious when she was young. We had an adversarial relationship that lasted into middle age (mostly dealing with her lack of responsibility and parenting...basically making our parents raise her 3 kids...) but we had reconciled at about 50 or so...She had been a CPA for Columbia House Records, but was made to retire because she was declared legally blind, got screwed on her 401k, and was living alone in Terre Haute on about 2K a month social security disability...her kids lived there too, but they didn't give her much time...

Her nurse called me about a month before she passed away and asked me if I was aware of how she was going through 2 weeks worth of morphine in 4 days, and that the Dr just kept writing refills...I had noticed that my sister would call me a lot, and tell me some wild tales about people tapping her phone and whatnot, but, to be honest, I probably should have been more engaged...

One of those see/hear something, do something lessons in life...

Over-medicating/over-prescribing has been such an issue for so many, again, very sorry for your loss. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You should have tried hockey. 

True story -- my mom didn't want me playing running back/football, so she put me in hockey. 😆 I still haven't figured that one out.

I've broken virtually every bone in my body, put guys through and over the boards, put guys in the hospital, been put in the hospital, knocked people out, and it was all a blast at the time.... But now I'm older ....

LMFAO!!!!!!  "No, Son.  Football is dangerous.  Why don't you play hockey.  It is a lot safer."  

I would rather play football, it is safer!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rico said:

LMFAO!!!!!!  "No, Son.  Football is dangerous.  Why don't you play hockey.  It is a lot safer."  

I would rather play football, it is safer!

It really is / was funny. Even as a little kid I was like, uh, ok Mom. 

I could post a pic of myself  (no, I won't, lol). Nose re-built 3 times, front incisor tooth pushed back (slapshot to the face), right shoulder lower and slightly forward as body formed over years to hockey stance), right hand knuckle bent and pushed back from a punch I threw against a face mask.... 

Quick funny story that sums up hockey on that punch --

Bench clearance after our team 'enforcer' squared off to fight a guy -- we all jump the boards and every player squares off.

My gloves are off (had taken them off on the bench), I throw a roundhouse and punch the guy I'm squared off with, directly into his face mask, my hand breaks.

I yell. He says -- oh man are you alright?

I say S__ I broke my hand. 

He says damn, I'll get someone else!

Lol -- that's hockey. We weren't really fighting --it was part of the game!

• Haha 1

Honestly fellas I don't blame anything on HS football.

I am 53.

I have been thrown through a windshield.  That broke every rib on my left side and collapsed my left lung.  I still feel where they put the chest tube in.

I went through the driver side window and as a result have a rod in my left upper leg and my left hip is held together with strapping.  The positive on that is I feel weather changes.

I got diagnosed with the "White man's disease" about 10 years ago.  Dupuytren's contracture(John Elway has it) screwed up my left hand.  After 2 surgeries they screwed it up more.

Brain surgery about 2-2 1/2 years ago that put me in the hospital for awhile.  Nothing like having a tube coming out of your skull dripping fluid.  That left a mark and screwed with my short term memory.

Now what were we talking about again?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It really is / was funny. Even as a little kid I was like, uh, ok Mom. 

I could post a pic of myself  (no, I won't, lol). Nose re-built 3 times, front incisor tooth pushed back (slapshot to the face), right shoulder lower and slightly forward as body formed over years to hockey stance), right hand knuckle bent and pushed back from a punch I threw against a face mask.... 

Quick funny story that sums up hockey on that punch --

Bench clearance after our team 'enforcer' squared off to fight a guy -- we all jump the boards and every player squares off.

My gloves are off (had taken them off on the bench), I throw a roundhouse and punch the guy I'm squared off with, directly into his face mask, my hand breaks.

I yell. He says -- oh man are you alright?

I say S__ I broke my hand. 

He says damn, I'll get someone else!

Lol -- that's hockey. We weren't really fighting --it was part of the game!

Did you play in the youth leagues in Indianapolis?

6 minutes ago, rico said:

I am 53.

I have been thrown through a windshield.  That broke every rib on my left side and collapsed my left lung.  I still feel where they put the chest tube in.

I went through the driver side window and as a result have a rod in my left upper leg and my left hip is held together with strapping.  The positive on that is I feel weather changes.

I got diagnosed with the "White man's disease" about 10 years ago.  Dupuytren's contracture(John Elway has it) screwed up my left hand.  After 2 surgeries they screwed it up more.

Brain surgery about 2-2 1/2 years ago that put me in the hospital for awhile.  Nothing like having a tube coming out of your skull dripping fluid.  That left a mark and screwed with my short term memory.

I feel like Chief Brody looking at his appendix scar in "Jaws" during the USS Indianapolis scene...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Did you play in the youth leagues in Indianapolis?

Bloomington -- the Indy teams weren't that good, but Indy South was always a fight. As in fighting. We'd win like 7-1, but they'd all be smiling as they left the ice because they just beat us up. Best teams at the time were Carmel and Culver Military Academy. We played Culver and lost in the state championship game in high school.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Bloomington -- the Indy teams weren't that good, but Indy South was always a fight. As in fighting. We'd win like 7-1, but they'd all be smiling as they left the ice because they just beat us up. Best teams at the time were Carmel and Culver Military Academy. We played Culver and lost in the state championship game in high school.

I played while of high school age as well. I am old enough that the high schools in Fort Wayne only had "club" teams. Played for the Pepsi Komets until work obligations took the time away.

I am the youngest of 5 kids, and my dad was the sort that he wasn't gonna pay for anything, at least not until you proved you were gonna stick with whatever it was. As a 7-8 year old, he wrapped old Life magazines around my legs as "shin pads". I can tell you that even at that age, there were kids who could lift the puck, and said magazines did nothing to stop the pain. Not until I got a little older and had a paper route was I able to buy my own proper equipment.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

I am 53.

I have Dupuythen's also. My plan is after my open heart surgery to have it looked since I will have met my annual deductible.