Annoying Aging and Health Issues

4 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

That's what I have heard. Hopefully by early summer I have recovered enough from open heart to get it looked at.

Yeah, they do some like "vibration" stuff on the tendons.  Little late for me.  Best of luck on the surgery and may you have hot nurses.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

That's what I have heard. Hopefully by early summer I have recovered enough from open heart to get it looked at.

Pray all goes well for you Jeff. Recovered from mine in about 6 weeks, but my procedure may have been different from yours. Hopefully, you'll be in ICU for a while afterwards. ICU is the best ! You move an inch and the nurse is hovering over you asking what do you need/want. 

Please keep us posted on your surgery and progress. Us old farts have to stay together you know...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DWB said:

Pray all goes well for you Jeff. Recovered from mine in about 6 weeks, but my procedure may have been different from yours. Hopefully, you'll be in ICU for a while afterwards. ICU is the best ! You move an inch and the nurse is hovering over you asking what do you need/want. 

Please keep us posted on your surgery and progress. Us old farts have to stay together you know...

Thank you. What type of open heart did you have?

Just now, DWB said:

Emergency triple by-pass.  Not sure if I had a heart attack, but it was definitely under stress. Felt great the next morning when I woke up and anesthesia wore off.

Wow. Glad everything turned out well for you. I meet with my cardiologist on Thursday so hopefully surgery will shortly after. I don't want to miss any of the spring fishing season. LOL

1 minute ago, jefftheref said:

I meet with my cardiologist on Thursday so hopefully surgery will shortly after. I don't want to miss any of the spring fishing season. LOL

The only problem you'll have fishing is having someone haul in any fish you hook for you. I couldn't lift anything over 5# for 6 weeks. 

Found out abut 15 years ago while going through knee surgery that I have no cartilage left in my knee.  I use to play basketball 3 times a week and after the surgery I couldn't play any longer.  growing up I played whatever sport was in season and then in high school I played basketball through 10th grade and played 3 years of tennis.  I guess with all of the pounding my knees took it just took a tole on them.  today I have a lot of knee pain and if I do to much walking or if I ever tried to play basketball my knee will swell up.   I was told that I will probably have to replace my knee sometime but was to young at 35 to do it.

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I was told that I will probably have to replace my knee sometime but was to young at 35 to do it.

You still might be too young. Evidently the prosthesis are only good for about 20 years from what my surgeon told me.

Supposedly there is some kind of gel/liquid that can inject into the joint to "act like" cartilage to buy you some time. Don't know the history if it works or not, but I know it's out there. Might want to talk to your ortho guy about it, if you haven't already.

Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DWB said:

You still might be too young. Evidently the prosthesis are only good for about 20 years from what my surgeon told me.

Supposedly there is some kind of gel/liquid that can inject into the joint to "act like" cartilage to buy you some time. Don't know the history if it works or not, but I know it's out there. Might want to talk to your ortho guy about it, if you haven't already.

Good Luck!

I was told I was too young, at age 54. The orthopedist did microfracture surgery on my knee, after having only torn my meniscus. In this procedure, he drilled tiny holes in my femur, allowing a substance to drip down into the space where my cartilage should have been. Instead of being up and walking the next day, like in my second knee surgery, I was non-weight bearing for 5 weeks. He also discussed injecting a substance called "rooster comb", called that because originally it was made from a rooster's comb.

In modern practice, there are two different types of injections being used as an alternative to knee replacement. One is synthetic, and the other is a procedure where they remove some healthy cartilage from your body in a first surgery, culture it, and then shape and insert it into your knee during a second surgery. I have looked at both of these options, but as of yet, most insurance companies don't cover them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

A just wow update, on my late-diagnosed torn tendons.

So was to have the first rehab session today -- but the hospital called me to give me a heads up that each session would be $660... $660 an hour. So they said maybe try to get a new prescription for rehab outside the hospital. Lol, you think?

WTH? No way. What is the session comprised of? I hate to be one of those people, but you can probably YouTube most of the exercises and buy the annoying little wobbly thing that all PTs seem to use. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

WTH? No way. What is the session comprised of? I hate to be one of those people, but you can probably YouTube most of the exercises and buy the annoying little wobbly thing that all PTs seem to use. 

I have no idea. They called me and told me it would be $660 a session. So I got the prescription to find my own rehab. Crazy. Wobbly thing haha 

On 1/15/2021 at 5:36 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

A just wow update, on my late-diagnosed torn tendons.

So was to have the first rehab session today -- but the hospital called me to give me a heads up that each session would be $660... $660 an hour. So they said maybe try to get a new prescription for rehab outside the hospital. Lol, you think?

What?  This system is about to finally break.  That's insane.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Healthcare.  We will see what this new admin with house and senate does.  $660 an hour.  That's not capitalism.  That's just lustful greed.  And I love me some capitalism.  

There is no money in the cure for ailments.  The money is in the treatment.

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

I'm 53 and what bugs me the most is needing reading glasses. I don't need them all the time but if the lighting is dim and or the print too small, I'm reaching for a flashlight and or my cheaters. Reminds me of my father, lol. The other thing I have just started getting in the last year or so is plantars fasciitis. Mine is not too bad and I can put on a sleeve and it goes away.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm 53 and what bugs me the most is needing reading glasses. Reminds me of my father, lol. The other thing I have just started getting in the last year or so is plantars fasciitis. Mine is not too bad and I can put on a sleeve and it goes away.

The bad news is, the list only gets longer when you get even older. At 69 my list is about 2 pages long.

My mind is about 30 years old, but my body is 110. averages out to about 70....

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

There is no money in the cure for ailments.  Doctors are pill pus

There is no money in the cure for ailments.  The money is in the treatment.

Ain’t that the truth. It’s probably the main reason I’ve focused on building centers aimed at population health, patient safety, and preventative care. If we can focus on preventative care over treatment, we would be so much healthier. And richer. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

I'm 53 and what bugs me the most is needing reading glasses. I don't need them all the time but if the lighting is dim and or the print too small, I'm reaching for a flashlight and or my cheaters. Reminds me of my father, lol. The other thing I have just started getting in the last year or so is plantars fasciitis. Mine is not too bad and I can put on a sleeve and it goes away.

Oh yeah, relatively all of the sudden, I started having trouble reading very small print, like a medicine label or fine print directions. CVS reading glasses do the trick ...

• 5 months later...

Well I finally have a real problem. 

Stood up last night to go to bed and hit the deck. So I went to the ER had a bunch of tests and CT scan. 

Turns out I no longer have a functional disc between my L5 and S1 vertebrae. Just a worthless sac of air. So they are grinding together and my S1 is out of position because the bone to keep it in alignment isn't there anymore so my S1 is pinching nerves.  Going to have an MRI to see if I need surgery. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4