Annoying Aging and Health Issues

Study says 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep is bet for middle aged and older people.  Uninterrupted?  Does that mean I'm not supposed to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom?  It's okay to pee my pants as long as I can sleep through it?  

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/02/health/seven-hours-sleep-optimal-old-age-wellness/index.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So got off the phone with SSA today, after multiple attempts and serious hold time, Seems there’s an obscure rule about signing up for Medicare B? Since I retired in January and signed up for Medicare B during the open enrollment period, my Medicare B doesn’t start until July??? Anybody else heard of this? If you’re planning retiring anytime soon you need to look into it!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 1:50 AM, mrflynn03 said:

Well,shit. I broke another toe. 

Well shit, I broke another toe. This time on my right foot. I guess I need steel toed everything.

Anyway, my mri is put off for a few months. But I have to have either a mammogram or ultrasound on my left Manboob because I have a grape sized lump.

The women in my family have a history of breast cancer and cysts and things like that. On my mom's side I was the only male born into the family.  

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Well shit, I broke another toe. This time on my right foot. I guess I need steel toed everything.

Anyway, my mri is put off for a few months. But I have to have either a mammogram or ultrasound on my left Manboob because I have a grape sized lump.

The women in my family have a history of breast cancer and cysts and things like that. On my mom's side I was the only male born into the family.  

Something that the majority of men are unaware of. Yes, male breast cancer does exist. It’s actually the type of cancer that killed Rod Roddy, the famous announcer from The Price Is Right. 

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone on here ever take Buspar? I've been battling some acid reflux for a year or so and it's causing some extra anxiety....and somehow have developed a fear of flying/bridges out of nowhere. Was talking with my Dr about things and she mentioned looking into Buspar. So I'm doing my homework on it. 

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Anyone on here ever take Buspar? I've been battling some acid reflux for a year or so and it's causing some extra anxiety....and somehow have developed a fear of flying/bridges out of nowhere. Was talking with my Dr about things and she mentioned looking into Buspar. So I'm doing my homework on it. 

I haven't taken Buspar. I am on a daily dose of Lexapro and have propranolol and hydroxyzine to take as needed. Hydroxyzine works better for me.  A daily med will take 2-6 weeks before any noticeable effects. 

I would also recommend a magnesium supplement whether or not you get a prescription.  It can help with acid reflux and anxiety. I take 350mg before bed and sleep like a baby but it can be taken anytime.  Too much will have you running for the bathroom. 

I take Garden of Life magnesium powder.  I buy it off of Amazon. Tastes good too. Link

Edited by mrflynn03
Added link
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I haven't taken Buspar. I am on a daily dose of Lexapro and have propranolol and hydroxyzine to take as needed. Hydroxyzine works better for me.  A daily med will take 2-6 weeks before any noticeable effects. 

I would also recommend a magnesium supplement whether or not you get a prescription.  It can help with acid reflux and anxiety. I take 350mg before bed and sleep like a baby but it can be taken anytime.  Too much will have you running for the bathroom. 

I take Garden of Life magnesium powder.  I buy it off of Amazon. Tastes good too. Link

She mentioned Lexapro as kind of a next step up if Buspar didn't work. I haven't decided if I prefer a daily thing or as needed, etc....but sure do appreciate the feedback!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Was reading a news story about a 56 year old man dying in a traffic accident this morning.  My first reaction was '56 years old, at least it wasn't a young person'. 

Then I remembered I'm 56.

I was looking at my local papers website last weekend for a local sports update. Got distracted by obituaries and started scrolling through. Pretty sobering seeing people I grew up with and played sports with in those pages. Some I knew about others I didn't.

One of my former teammates died a few years ago at 31 from similar things I'm working through now. I didn't know about him til last weekend. That was a bit of a wake up call. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

She mentioned Lexapro as kind of a next step up if Buspar didn't work. I haven't decided if I prefer a daily thing or as needed, etc....but sure do appreciate the feedback!

It's good you are able to recognize it. I spent years wondering why my mind never stopped going. It would keep me up alot of nights.

My world is quieter now and days are more peaceful.  The best part is I'm less impulsive and my thinking is more deliberate.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

It's good you are able to recognize it. I spent years wondering why my mind never stopped going. It would keep me up alot of nights.

My world is quieter now and days are more peaceful.  The best part is I'm less impulsive and my thinking is more deliberate.

That's the best thing I have heard all day. Very happy for you!! I keep you in prayer on a regular basis 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I ordered the magnesium powder already. To me this looks like a good solution. I've tried my entire life to stay off of pills if I can. In my case it's not so much the mind...but just the mind when the thought of flying/driving over bridges happens. Just need to figure it out. Thanks again!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That's the best thing I have heard all day. Very happy for you!! I keep you in prayer on a regular basis 

I appreciate it. Everything happens for a reason. I'm still trying to figure that out but I think I know 1 part of it. I'm praying everyday again but find myself asking for different things than in the past. Simpler things.  And I'm on a guys text list and every morning sends out a daily devotional with links to relevant verses. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I ordered the magnesium powder already. To me this looks like a good solution. I've tried my entire life to stay off of pills if I can. In my case it's not so much the mind...but just the mind when the thought of flying/driving over bridges happens. Just need to figure it out. Thanks again!

Yeah, I never liked the idea of being on pills. I don't plan on taking them forever.  Hope the magnesium works for you. I really like it. 

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

I appreciate it. Everything happens for a reason. I'm still trying to figure that out but I think I know 1 part of it. I'm praying everyday again but find myself asking for different things than in the past. Simpler things.  And I'm on a guys text list and every morning sends out a daily devotional with links to relevant verses. 

That's awesome news. God allowed to make my own decisions and get myself into a dark place before I truly committed to him and HE has lifted me out of despair and blessed us in many ways. I have surrounded myself with Men of Christ and what a difference. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 5:12 PM, Billingsley99 said:

That's awesome news. God allowed to make my own decisions and get myself into a dark place before I truly committed to him and HE has lifted me out of despair and blessed us in many ways. I have surrounded myself with Men of Christ and what a difference. 

That darkness is a bottomless pit of despair.  I always thought of myself as a happy go lucky type of person.  Lucky for sure. But it was a slow ride down.  Horrible dreams, thoughts of suicide, actually tried a couple times but couldn't go through with it. 

Then I went to rehab at a place called Wooded Glen in Henryville.  Being the asshole I am it took a couple weeks for me to get used to it.

Bill was the most impactful. He drank and done drugs for 20+ years. His mantra was just don't put one in you. Quit and people will leave you alone.

Rob said you don't have to be perfect, just do better. 

But it really did help. And when I got home went back to Celebrate Recovery group.  And now I'm helping morph Celebrate recovery group into a new program using the tools I learned in rehab. 

In rehab it kind of broke down in two groups. Young jailbirds and veterans.  

I spent my time mostly with the veterans.  Even though I never served they accepted me because I kept my mouth shut and listened.  But I had some valuable input because my family has been fighting America's wars since the revolution.

Sorry it got a bit wordy.   Hope it makes sense. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Ok I quit, it shouldn’t be this damn difficult! 

16 minutes ago, rico said:

Quit what?

Why 3 panels?  My guesses were:

1.  A close up of an open bomber's bay, with explosions far below.

2.  A close up of a woman's pointed high heel shoe, next to a hot fire for no clear reason.

3.  Someone intentionally burning the bottom of his boots.

4.  A burning cactus on top of a cow skull.

5.  Something to do with Vikings, a bear trap, or the War of 1812.  I admit, I was reaching at that point.  All the other guesses at least made sense. 🧐 

Edited by Madison22
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Why 3 panels?  My guesses were:

1.  A close up of an open bomber's bay, with explosions far below.

2.  A close up of a woman's pointed high heel shoe, next to a hot fire for no clear reason.

3.  Someone intentionally burning the bottom of his boots.

4.  A burning cactus on top of a cow skull.

5.  Something to do with Vikings, a bear trap, or the War of 1812.  I admit, I was reaching at that point.  All the other guesses at least made sense. 🧐 

I simply wanted to post one, simple, obvious, frame of a sea horse riding a skate board, but the FRIGGIN THING WENT ALL ALPHA ROUGE on me. Then I tried to edit it and a message popped up, 

“I’m sorry Joe, I can’t do that”.  
I freakin bailed ! 

• Haha 3