Re-Evaluating IU's Big Ten Chances

5fouls

1 minute ago, jblaz13 said:

That 20 years of Kohl  Center misery has nothing to do with this year! 

The later IU catches Wiscy the greater the chance it comes after they pull a typical Wiscy and end  up in 4th or 5th.

Even if they don't ultimately rise up this year, catching a  team earlier on should always be more favorable than when teams generally begin to make a bit more strides, if they're under a coach worth their paycheck.

I don't see them completely bottoming out late season, and even if IU isn't very good right now, Wisconsin isn't much better.

IU historians know that IU dominated this series not only for years, but for decades.  That is something not to be forgotten.  Things do tend to go in trends. And for reasons.  And ever there was a year when IU could reverse the trend of recent years, now would be the time.  And when one considers how IU competed against the likes of Duke and other contenders this year, one must think this is the year of the Hoosier over the Badger.  No other game I would want to see this happen more, this season, than this one.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

IU historians know that IU dominated this series not only for years, but for decades.  That is something not to be forgotten.  Things do tend to go in trends. And for reasons.  And ever there was a year when IU could reverse the trend of recent years, now would be the time.  And when one considers how IU competed against the likes of Duke and other contenders this year, one must think this is the year of the Hoosier over the Badger.  No other game I would want to see this happen more, this season, than this one.

I had to raise my beer to that Mile!

It's time for the Jed....iiiii mean,  the Badgers, to end .  ;) Sorry I just got home from the  Star Wars movie .lol 

I agree. i'm more concerned by the matchups with the "on paper wins" , particularly in the 1st half of B1G play. I still have some degree of confidence that Miller will make sure the message Ft Wayne sent hits home. It's somewhat natural to expect to come out in a season opener and blow ISU away, but they played complacent against Ft Wayne. If that wasn't a wake up call, I don't know what is.

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I lived in the Madison area in the late 80s through the mid 90s and personally witnessed several IU beat downs of UW at their old field house. I also was at the epic 3 overtime win we had in 1987. 

More than anything I want CAM to restore the IU domination of the Badgers. Over the last 15 years or so, their ability to beat us, even when we were the better team (see Brian Butch prayer of a shot), has been the most frustrating, embarrassing, and unacceptable aspect of our inability to climb back to prominence in the B1G.

I agree, Mile. Time for the trend to revert back to IU. Time for fundamental, common sense basketball to give the Badgers some of what they have been dealing out these past years. Time for CAM to establish an attitude within the program of "no more ".

That's the banner I'd like to see hanging in AH until we hang the real banner...#6....

NO MORE 

47 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

I had to raise my beer to that Mile!

It's time for the Jed....iiiii mean,  the Badgers, to end .  ;) Sorry I just got home from the  Star Wars movie .lol 

I agree. i'm more concerned by the matchups with the "on paper wins" , particularly in the 1st half of B1G play. I still have some degree of confidence that Miller will make sure the message Ft Wayne sent hits home. It's somewhat natural to expect to come out in a season opener and blow ISU away, but they played complacent against Ft Wayne. If that wasn't a wake up call, I don't know what is.

Love your post.

34 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I lived in the Madison area in the late 80s through the mid 90s and personally witnessed several IU beat downs of UW at their old field house. I also was at the epic 3 overtime win we had in 1987. 

More than anything I want CAM to restore the IU domination of the Badgers. Over the last 15 years or so, their ability to beat us, even when we were the better team (see Brian Butch prayer of a shot), has been the most frustrating, embarrassing, and unacceptable aspect of our inability to climb back to prominence in the B1G.

I agree, Mile. Time for the trend to revert back to IU. Time for fundamental, common sense basketball to give the Badgers some of what they have been dealing out these past years. Time for CAM to establish an attitude within the program of "no more ".

That's the banner I'd like to see hanging in AH until we hang the real banner...#6....

NO MORE 

Not sure if this is the year. Though I have hope.  Time to reverse the trend. 

21 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I think we beat them like 32 straight games at one point

22 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

NO MORE 

Fun fact of the day. That triple OT game was officiated by a rookie B10 ref by the name of Ted Valentine. In interviews he claims he called a foul on Wisconsin sending Alford to the line for a couple crucial FTs. Watching the replay after the game, he said it was the worse call he'd ever made. Felt so bad he called Badger coach Steve Yoder to apologize. 

Apparently someone needs to remind Teddy that he's paid us back many times over since then.

4 hours ago, johnsoniu said:

Fun fact of the day. That triple OT game was officiated by a rookie B10 ref by the name of Ted Valentine. In interviews he claims he called a foul on Wisconsin sending Alford to the line for a couple crucial FTs. Watching the replay after the game, he said it was the worse call he'd ever made. Felt so bad he called Badger coach Steve Yoder to apologize. 

Apparently someone needs to remind Teddy that he's paid us back many times over since then.

Hey Johnson good to see you around

On 12/30/2017 at 8:19 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hey Johnson good to see you around

Yes.  A former mod on HSN.  Good to see an old friend from Fort Wayne, who once sent me some IU tapes.  Another day. And another age.  But great to see an old friend again.

Egad. Did I just say... Old Friend ?  Johnson and others know who I am referenced.  LOL

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I wonder how it would look if you isolated the two outliers? I know other teams have them, but hard to imagine anyone having two games like those two. 

If there was just one outlier which was ISU and the first game of the season, things would be much better.   But IU has 2 outliers which are almost bookends to the pre-season.  It's really hard to look at them as outliers.   Sometimes you just are what you are.  There is time to improve, and there are reasons to support improvement.  As many have said on this board MSU and Purdue are way ahead of the pack, but you can pretty much throw a blanket over the rest.  IU will have plenty of chances to win close games and make a case for the post-season.

23 minutes ago, slojoe said:

If there was just one outlier which was ISU and the first game of the season, things would be much better.   But IU has 2 outliers which are almost bookends to the pre-season.  It's really hard to look at them as outliers.   Sometimes you just are what you are.  There is time to improve, and there are reasons to support improvement.  As many have said on this board MSU and Purdue are way ahead of the pack, but you can pretty much throw a blanket over the rest.  IU will have plenty of chances to win close games and make a case for the post-season.

It doesn't matter when an outlier happens, it is still an outlier.  If you were to graph our performances from ISU until now, I don't think there is a single person here who wouldn't have us showing a positive trend if they were honest about it.  

And even our two outlier games happened because of historical shooting from our opponent.  No, our defense wasn't great in those games but three point defense is the thing a team has the least control over.  

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

It doesn't matter when an outlier happens, it is still an outlier.  If you were to graph our performances from ISU until now, I don't think there is a single person here who wouldn't have us showing a positive trend if they were honest about it.  

And even our two outlier games happened because of historical shooting from our opponent.  No, our defense wasn't great in those games but three point defense is the thing a team has the least control over.  

It does matter when the "outlier" occurs because the farther apart they are the more likely that they are not "outliers" but what the team is.

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I wonder how it would look if you isolated the two outliers? I know other teams have them, but hard to imagine anyone having two games like those two. 

Hard to say those games are the outliers when we also got smoked by Seton Hall and Michigan, looked terrible against Howard (#332 Kenpom), and had long stretches of poor play in games against South Florida (#295), Arkansas State (#247), and Youngstown State (#325).  Looking at those games along with the ISU and IPFW blowouts, there is just as much evidence, if not more evidence, that the losses against Duke and UL and the wins over Iowa and ND are the outliers.

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

It does matter when the "outlier" occurs because the farther apart they are the more likely that they are not "outliers" but what the team is.

We are...currently....unfortunately...a team that thinks they can flash the Indiana across their chest to inferior opponents and they’ll bow down. We are also a team that will compete against any competition they deem worthy. So, how many remaining opponents are worthy of this team’s effort? And how many wins will that effort translate to? 

53 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Hard to say those games are the outliers when we also got smoked by Seton Hall and Michigan, looked terrible against Howard (#332 Kenpom), and had long stretches of poor play in games against South Florida (#295), Arkansas State (#247), and Youngstown State (#325).  Looking at those games along with the ISU and IPFW blowouts, there is just as much evidence, if not more evidence, that the losses against Duke and UL and the wins over Iowa and ND are the outliers.

The game margins of ISU and FW against those games is anywhere between 29 points and 48 points.  Thanks for pointing out that ISU and FW are not who we are....

Does anyone here actually believe themselves when they say if we were 10-4 (1-1) right now that they'd be so down on this team?  We would do better to not allow two games (good or bad) so strongly color our perception of this team.  I know I wouldn't want to be judged for my two worst moments, and I know I'm not as good as my two best moments. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Does anyone here actually believe themselves when they say if we were 10-4 (1-1) right now that they'd be so down on this team?  We would do better to not allow two games (good or bad) so strongly color our perception of this team.  I know I wouldn't want to be judged for my two worst moments, and I know I'm not as good as my two best moments. 

Actually we are only one game behind where most thought we would be. Most thought we would have beaten ISU and Fort Wayne but lost to ND.

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And if we were 14-0 right now I would be feeling great about this team.

Maryland has lost a starter named Jackson FOR THE SEASON !! He averaged 10.1 Points per game last season AND WAS AVERAGING 9.8 PPG and 8,1 REBOUNDS PER GAME  THIS SEASON !! Maryland also loses  a Backup Center /Forward for the season  named Bender who was averaging 3.4 ppg aand 2.9 RPG this season ! That is a total of 13.2 ppg AND 11 REBOUNDS PER GAME THAT THE TERPS HAVE LOST ( I really like IU's chances much better NOW versus Maryland ) !!!! Wisconsin has lost a player { Kobe King] who was averaging 5.2 PPG this season FOR THE REST OF THIS SEASON ! Also , Trice , who was averaging 9.4 ppg this season DID NOT PLAY IN WISCONSIN'S last game and his status is UNKNOWN for tonight's game at Wisconsin( IU's chances TONIGHT are certainly better than they were before I found out about those 2 injuries at Wisconsin)  !!! pee yew's smellermakers have [ apparently] dismissed Forward Eden Ewing from their basketball team ! He was not a key player for pee yew , but he did have 6 games in which he actually scored a total of 27 points for an average of 4.5 points per game in which he actually played and scored !!

1 hour ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Maryland has lost a starter named Jackson FOR THE SEASON !! He averaged 10.1 Points per game last season AND WAS AVERAGING 9.8 PPG aND 8,1 REBOUNDS PER GAME !! Maryland also loses Backup Center Forward named Bender who was averaging 3.4 pPG aand 2.9 RPG this season !1 That is a total of 13.2 ppg AAAND 11 REBOUNDS PER GAME THAT THE TERPS HAVE LOST  !!!! Wisconsin has lost a player { Kobe King] who was averaging 5.2 PPG this season FOR THE REST OF THIS SEASON ! Also , Trice , who was averaging 9.4 ppg this season DID NOT PLAY IN WISCONSIN'S last game and his status is UNKNOWN for tonight's game at Wisconsin  !!! pee yew's smellermakers have [ apparently] dismissed Forward Eden Ewing from their basketball team ! He was not a keyy player for pee yew , but he did have 6 games in which he actually scored a total of 27 points for an average of 4.5 points per game in which he actually played and scored !!

Fortunately IU has not had many injury problems this year with the exception of Hartman who is still making his way back.

Archived