Maryland Post-Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some random thoughts...

- TJD needs to play like he did the last 10 minutes all of the time. He slept walk through the first 30 minutes and has looked soft for a while now. 

- Our defense is elite

- I will die on this hill, our offense is fine. Guys just need to make shots. We generate tons of open looks, our shooters just suck. Its more of confidence and recruiting. The offense is fine schematically. 

- Phinisee played better and both Durham and Phinisee played good D, but they need to start making open shots. If those guys shoot remotely to their capacities that game is never close. 

- Really hope this ankle doesn't set Franklin back. We need him. 

- Race was way more active tonight. Need him to rebound and fight like that all the time. 

- Glad to see Hunter get extended minutes. His defense is still terrible, but I do agree with @Hoosierhoopster, we need his offense

- Ball movement is so much better this year. 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Looked like a high ankle sprain. He didn’t come back to the bench that I saw. Probably will miss the next two games this week.

They showed him on the bench getting his ankle taped and the announcers thought it was a good sign but never came back in

Really hated that first half and *almost* stopped watching. Hoped for a good start to the second half and we just sucked. Glad I stuck with it. Trayce just kind of took over there and we needed someone to do something. 

Hunter is VERY lucky he hit those threes after his boneheaded fouls. Was really happy for the him when the threes fell. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Some random thoughts...

- TJD needs to play like he did the last 10 minutes all of the time. He slept walk through the first 30 minutes and has looked soft for a while now. 

- Our defense is elite

- I will die on this hill, our offense is fine. Guys just need to make shots. We generate tons of open looks, our shooters just suck. Its more of confidence and recruiting. The offense is fine schematically. 

- Phinisee played better and both Durham and Phinisee played good D, but they need to start making open shots. If those guys shoot remotely to their capacities that game is never close. 

- Race was way more active tonight. Need him to rebound and fight like that all the time. 

- Glad to see Hunter get extended minutes. His defense is still terrible, but I do agree with @Hoosierhoopster, we need his offense

I also think IU needs a player who can create their own shot especially when the shot clock is running out.

Just now, IUFLA said:

Who was the last great on the ball defender we had before Rob...hell, he was even bucking with their big guys...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Who was the last great on the ball defender we had before Rob...hell, he was even bucking with their big guys...

VO

I was really happy with the win and thought Archie coached a phenomenal second half. He did a great job of adjusting to the game, played a lineup major minutes that we've never seen, let Hunter play through mistakes (which was key), and just generally seemed to pull all the right strings. 

An 8 point conference win is always a good win. I really think we, as a fanbase, may need to start accepting that we aren't going to play pretty basketball a lot of nights but we will play winning basketball most nights. Isn't that what we want?

Gritty win to fight back from down 10 to win by 8.  I'm not sure Maryland is any good but a loss there would have been crushing.  Hunter has some balls.  He needs to keep shooting. 

Off topic - watching this 2002 champ game special. Tom Coverdale didn't age well, put on more than a few pounds. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I really think we, as a fanbase, may need to start accepting that we aren't going to play pretty basketball a lot of nights but we will play winning basketball most nights.

100%

We're going to win ugly most of the time...that's the way good defensive teams normally do it...

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Some random thoughts...

- Our defense is elite

Agreed. We got great looks...just we can’t shoot the ball unfortunately. I mean we went on like a 28-8 run without hitting a jump shot. That won’t happen very often and you win. Just glad tonight we didn’t forget where our bread gets buttered.

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

1. Nice win.  We needed it.  We could have folded our tents and gone home but we battled through. 
2. Love the turnaround in intensity and energy shown by Trayce in the second half 

3. Trayce deserves the accolades but Rob Phinisee was a huge spark plug. You could argue he catalyzed the whole thing.  He initiated much better today. 
4. Race was very solid in the first half keeping us in the game 

5. Archie pushed the right buttons. Notably, Hunter was getting lit up on defense and Archie was very advanced and not knee jerk and let Hunter keep going.  Smart coaching. 
6.  I liked the stretch when the freshmen played. We didn’t see results in terms of buckets but they brought up the energy level and that kind of thing can be contagious.  I liked Archie’s move there.  
7.  If the guards produce, as we saw in the second half with Rob, I’m telling you this is a different offense. They can look competent. 

As I I stated in game thread  I told my wife I didn't want to watch. She knows better and she put the GAME on late 1ST half! Saw a whole new team when ROB AND TRAYCE take it to where they can. We are a tough match up and with A. F.  We can be a Great team! I hope injury bug hasn't gotten to us again

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. We got great looks...just we can’t shoot the ball unfortunately. I mean we went on like a 28-8 run without hitting a jump shot. That won’t happen very often and you win. Just glad tonight we didn’t forget where our bread gets buttered.

What is frustrating is I've felt the shooting was actually improving recently, maybe it was just Franklin masking the issues. 

This was a step backward. 

You could say we imposed our will defensively. Reminded me a bit of the game in Champaign.  Maryland put up 70 at Wisconsin and they were well off of that.  This is the identity you’d like to instill where it’s predictable every time out that we are getting this type of defense. 

Hunter is probably my favorite 3 point shooter regardless of what the numbers say.  Accordingly, it’s ok to give up a bit on defense as he works through that.  We really can use him hitting some threes. He seems to hit them at opportune times.  

I love Galloway’s game but I thought he settled for threes at times.  It’s like he wants so bad to be a good shooter but he might want to reign it in a little. He’s so dangerous when he’s more active and on the move not settling.  I’m not saying he should never take one, just don’t go overboard.  

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You could say we imposed our will defensively. Reminded me a bit of the game in Champaign.  Maryland put up 70 at Wisconsin and they were well off of that.  This is the identity you’d like to instill where it’s predictable every time out that we are getting this type of defense. 

Hunter is probably my favorite 3 point shooter regardless of what the numbers say.  Accordingly, it’s ok to give up a bit on defense as he works through that.  We really can use him hitting some threes. He seems to hit them at opportune times.  

I love Galloway’s game but I thought he settled for threes at times.  It’s like he wants so bad to be a good shooter but he might want to reign it in a little. He’s so dangerous when he’s more active and on the move not settling.  I’m not saying he should never take one, just don’t go overboard.  

I thought this was Galloway's worst game. Add to that Franklin getting hurt and we won without getting anything from what have been our top two perimeter players this year. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

What is frustrating is I've felt the shooting was actually improving recently, maybe it was just Franklin masking the issues. 

This was a step backward. 

He did...but Rob and Al shot well. The thing was is they were getting wide open looks with their feet set. Today though it was just a little more rushed because it was us swinging it side to side for looks instead of inside out from Trayce or guys driving and kicking. Also today it was Trey and Geronimo and some guys that really shouldn’t be shooting 3s.

Archived