Maryland Post-Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing about that game was phenomenal. Are you kidding me? They managed a win. Maryland hit a wall defending TJD for about 7 minutes which was the deciding factor when they also missed a few shots. 
Long long way to go if IU is ever going to compete for a B1G title let well alone a deep NCAA run.

I still would like to see Lander get some minutes. I know he is young for his college time but if the elite  5 stars don't see the floor we will have a tuff time for future elite talent. Maybe he and CAM have an understanding but CRMK  adjusted to Isiah  Just my thoughts. 

4 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Nothing about that game was phenomenal. Are you kidding me? They managed a win. Maryland hit a wall defending TJD for about 7 minutes which was the deciding factor when they also missed a few shots. 
Long long way to go if IU is ever going to compete for a B1G title let well alone a deep NCAA run.

If we play the way we did the last 10 minutes, especially on defense, we can beat any team in the B1G...

If we play the way we did in the 1st half, we can be beaten by any team, including Nebraska, on a given night...

Consistency is what we need and then we CAN compete for a B1G title...

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Ugh, he had so much momentum and was really taking off. Hopefully he can come back without missing a beat, we've just seen so many guys recently get derailed by injuries like this. 

Yep he was really finding his game. Confidence was so high. Just going to say it now...this team is only going to be as successful as our upper class man guards. Rob and Al will determine if this team is a tournament team or a disappointment. 

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You could say we imposed our will defensively. Reminded me a bit of the game in Champaign.  Maryland put up 70 at Wisconsin and they were well off of that.  This is the identity you’d like to instill where it’s predictable every time out that we are getting this type of defense. 

Hunter is probably my favorite 3 point shooter regardless of what the numbers say.  Accordingly, it’s ok to give up a bit on defense as he works through that.  We really can use him hitting some threes. He seems to hit them at opportune times.  

I love Galloway’s game but I thought he settled for threes at times.  It’s like he wants so bad to be a good shooter but he might want to reign it in a little. He’s so dangerous when he’s more active and on the move not settling.  I’m not saying he should never take one, just don’t go overboard.  

I agree let Hunter shoot he is the 1 player I thought ( if he could get back from his missed playing) would make us a better team than an average team. The BIG 10 IS SO TOP TO BOTTOM TOUGH!! 

15 minutes ago, loviubb said:

I still would like to see Lander get some minutes. I know he is young for his college time but if the elite  5 stars don't see the floor we will have a tuff time for future elite talent. Maybe he and CAM have an understanding but CRMK  adjusted to Isiah  Just my thoughts. 

CRMK did end up letting Isiah run the show, after a while, but as a freshman Isiah shot right out of the gate and averaged almost 15 points, shot over 50% from the field with 5.5 assists a game and was first team all Big Ten. No offense to Lander, as he is a freshman that grade-wise should be in HS and has a bright future, but freshman Isiah and freshman Lander don’t belong in the same sentence.

I don’t get Hunter, fouls a three point shooter who was taking a tough three. Turns around and does it again! Then turns it over. 
The three pointer he hit was a big shot,but it wasn’t a smart shot. He misses that they come down an score it a whole different ball game. 

Hope AF is ok.

Good to see TJD get in gear and score 10 or 12 straight points for us.

We can beat Wiscy but need the last 10 minutes of this game to be 35 minutes of the Wiscy game.

Was great to see the other team have a couple of scoring droughts. We did not give them much in the last 10 minutes. Good to see.

32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Some random thoughts...

- TJD needs to play like he did the last 10 minutes all of the time. He slept walk through the first 30 minutes and has looked soft for a while now. 

- Our defense is elite

- I will die on this hill, our offense is fine. Guys just need to make shots. We generate tons of open looks, our shooters just suck. Its more of confidence and recruiting. The offense is fine schematically. 

- Phinisee played better and both Durham and Phinisee played good D, but they need to start making open shots. If those guys shoot remotely to their capacities that game is never close. 

- Really hope this ankle doesn't set Franklin back. We need him. 

- Race was way more active tonight. Need him to rebound and fight like that all the time. 

- Glad to see Hunter get extended minutes. His defense is still terrible, but I do agree with @Hoosierhoopster, we need his offense

- Ball movement is so much better this year. 

Finally someone agrees with me! 
😁

Liked Hunter’s assists as well. Gotta get him shooting more. Galloway could not buy a basket today, not criticizing him, excellent player who makes everyone better but needs real work on that shot - his next step 

1 minute ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I don’t get Hunter, fouls a three point shooter who was taking a tough three. Turns around and does it again! Then turns it over. 
The three pointer he hit was a big shot,but it wasn’t a smart shot. He misses that they come down an score it a whole different ball game. 

I hear ya, but...

Archie is a scrapper...he recognized that Jerome was having a rough go of it for a while, but he stuck with him...and Jerome made a couple of plays (the 2 3s and the offensive rebound he kept alive but missed, but Trayce got) to help us win...I don't know if anybody else noticed but in the huddle after that last 3, Jerome was saying, "I know coach" over and over while Archie was chewing his ass...and Jerome was grinning from ear to ear...

A scrapper has to love the brass that took...

Just now, IU878176 said:

CRMK did end up letting Isiah run the show, after a while, but as a freshman Isiah shot right out of the gate and averaged almost 15 points, shot over 50% from the field with 5.5 assists a game and was first team all Big Ten. No offense to Lander, as he is a freshman that should be in HS and has a bright future, but freshman Isiah and freshman Lander don’t belong in the same sentence.

Isiah and Landers do belong in the same sentence, If we want to be elite again let the growing pains be felt. But don't let  elite talent sit too long or you might lose out on more elite talent. A s I stated IT MIGHT BE AND UNDERSTANDING  between the 2 And I never said Landers was Isiah . Isiah had a better BB team than K.L. But in todays game IF THE BIG DOGS DON'T RUN you will have trouble for more BIG DOGS

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

What is frustrating is I've felt the shooting was actually improving recently, maybe it was just Franklin masking the issues. 

This was a step backward. 

I think AF is going to be huge to open up the floor for the ace twins, but they are going to have to take some and hit a couple mid range jumpers that arent forced by the clock.

The other guys are going to HAVE to start hitting some shots tho.  Rob and Al cant lay goose eggs anymore.  Hunter......oh Hunter....i think he is going to have to find some more shots and try to get more involved and frankly get a lottle (not a spelling error) pissed off.  After the two 3pt fouls he got a little snarl to him and picked it up a bit.  I think CAM leaving him in helped out a lot.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Finally someone agrees with me! 
😁

Liked Hunter’s assists as well. Gotta get him shooting more. Galloway could not buy a basket today, not criticizing him, excellent player who makes everyone better but needs real work on that shot - his next step 

Galloway had a freshmen game today. Maryland was leaving him wide open and he fell into the trap. It happens.  

Agree though, he's going to need to do major work on his shooting as he develops. It doesn't have to be a great 3pt shooter, even a strong midrange game would enhance his playmaking. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Galloway had a freshmen game today. Maryland was leaving him wide open and he fell into the trap. It happens.  

Agree though, he's going to need to do major work on his shooting as he develops. It doesn't have to be a great 3pt shooter, even a strong midrange game would enhance his playmaking. 

Do you think he could be a Rip Hamilton type player?  Rip wasnt a very good 3pt shooter early on but was a HUGE p.i.t.a. and deadly 15-18 feet.

1 minute ago, 3Ballin said:

Do you think he could be a Rip Hamilton type player?  Rip wasnt a very good 3pt shooter early on but was a HUGE p.i.t.a. and deadly 15-18 feet.

I dont know, RIP was always an excellent shooter, at least from the midrange. Galloway doesn't really have that in his game at all. 

The guy I've been comparing him to is Ty Jerome from UVA, though Jerome is more of a pg where Galloway is a forward. Their playmaking skills are what I see. 

Not sure if Ty Jerome was always a good shooter or if he developed that during his time at UVA. 

Archived