Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Watching the BTN right now and they are showing a documentary on the "Wat shot".

I think that is what we need.  Just kind of a break out year.  I have more faith in Miller's ability to sustain if he can have the breakout.  The breakout is what I am not sure about...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hunter is a perfect microcosm of these players, this team, Archie, all of it: I want to love you but god damn, you make it so hard on me sometimes.

One thing that is often overlooked is that our defense on free throws continues to be outstanding.  Not sure if it's our positioning, intimidation, or the air conditioning.  But, opponents can't seem

I was really happy with the win and thought Archie coached a phenomenal second half. He did a great job of adjusting to the game, played a lineup major minutes that we've never seen, let Hunter play t

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, BGleas said:

What is frustrating is I've felt the shooting was actually improving recently, maybe it was just Franklin masking the issues. 

This was a step backward. 

we did play a bad PSU defensive team which gave our guards time to set their feet and take nice shots on their timetable. 

Didn't get to see the game much tonight so i am happy to see us win

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I was really happy with the win and thought Archie coached a phenomenal second half. He did a great job of adjusting to the game, played a lineup major minutes that we've never seen, let Hunter play through mistakes (which was key), and just generally seemed to pull all the right strings. 

An 8 point conference win is always a good win. I really think we, as a fanbase, may need to start accepting that we aren't going to play pretty basketball a lot of nights but we will play winning basketball most nights. Isn't that what we want?

I'm fine with ugly basketball if it wins, and I'm totally more on the optimist than pessimist side of the fence, but "most nights" is a big stretch for where we're at right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I don’t get Hunter, fouls a three point shooter who was taking a tough three. Turns around and does it again! Then turns it over. 
The three pointer he hit was a big shot,but it wasn’t a smart shot. He misses that they come down an score it a whole different ball game. 

Yeah, I agree. Some on here want him to play so badly bc of his potential, but he kills us on defense and with his decision making. For what, an average shooter? He made a terrible shot tonight and didn’t even realize it was a bad shot. I hope his D improves tremendously so he becomes an asset, but right now he’s just not in my book. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yeah, I agree. Some on here want him to play so badly bc of his potential, but he kills us on defense and with his decision making. For what, an average shooter? He made a terrible shot tonight and didn’t even realize it was a bad shot. I hope his D improves tremendously so he becomes an asset, but right now he’s just not in my book. 

He's a confident shooter.  That's an incredible asset, especially to this team. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yeah, I agree. Some on here want him to play so badly bc of his potential, but he kills us on defense and with his decision making. For what, an average shooter? He made a terrible shot tonight and didn’t even realize it was a bad shot. I hope his D improves tremendously so he becomes an asset, but right now he’s just not in my book. 

I don't get it either.  I haven't see anything that tells me is starter or max minutes material.  I hear he has potential and was first round caliber talent but i have never seen it.  Maybe next year or the year after? 

And at what point do we stop saying everyone on the team needs confidence in shooting and just say we're not good shooters? 

Anyways, happy we beat Maryland, i do not like their coach or their fan so they can go pound sand tonight.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hunter is a 33% 3PT shooter on a team that shoots 34% - I can see the potential, but he has a lot to work on defensively and with decision-making before his thoroughly average (to date) shooting starts to make the entirety of his play a real net positive, IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Hunter is a 33% 3PT shooter on a team that shoots 34% - I can see the potential, but he has a lot to work on defensively and with decision-making before his thoroughly average (to date) shooting starts to make the entirety of his play a real net positive, IMO.

I always feel like Hunter is one or two shots every game away from being a huge weapon. Like he had a couple shots where he was open and just couldn’t get them down, which seems to be the case routinely. Seems like at this point in his career he should/could be the guy who defenses simply can’t leave open... but as it stands currently defenses can still sometimes get away with it.

 

Edit: this made more sense in my head... 

Edited by madmax
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Watching the BTN right now and they are showing a documentary on the "Wat shot".

I think that is what we need.  Just kind of a break out year.  I have more faith in Miller's ability to sustain if he can have the breakout.  The breakout is what I am not sure about...

Or maybe Jones, Watford, Sheehey, Oladipo, and Zeller type talent might help too lol!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

I think AF is going to be huge to open up the floor for the ace twins, but they are going to have to take some and hit a couple mid range jumpers that arent forced by the clock.

The other guys are going to HAVE to start hitting some shots tho.  Rob and Al cant lay goose eggs anymore.  Hunter......oh Hunter....i think he is going to have to find some more shots and try to get more involved and frankly get a lottle (not a spelling error) pissed off.  After the two 3pt fouls he got a little snarl to him and picked it up a bit.  I think CAM leaving him in helped out a lot.

So good for once to see CAM finally give an offensive player some rope, and we needed it. Hope to see at least a little more of Lander, our offense gets stagnant and he - I think - could spark it 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some might say it was when Trayce started exerting  himself was when the game changed...I think it was when I decided to go from watching the game on my patio to our bonus room was what made all the difference. Lol but actually it was when the ladies lost we must have gotten angry and decided to pay them back for avenging our UI loss and got our act together.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Hunter is a 33% 3PT shooter on a team that shoots 34% - I can see the potential, but he has a lot to work on defensively and with decision-making before his thoroughly average (to date) shooting starts to make the entirety of his play a real net positive, IMO.

No he’s not. Hunter finished last season shooting North of 40 percent, why would you look at his limited time this season and label him a 33 percent shooter? He has shot 33 percent so far on the year, in limited minutes. As Gleas recognizes he needs to be given some rope, as Cam did today, for his offense. That is what shooters need. Cam consistently calls him one of the best shooters in the team, because he is, if you want to win you have to be able to score.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I hope Lander doesn't get frustrated.  I saw him make a slick pass that should have been an assist tonight.  The kid has tools...I just hope he's willing to work on his D and be patient for the minutes to come.

The only thing I remember about Lander tonight was the pass that went out of bounds with no player in sight.  I hope.he stays patient and realize his time will eventually come

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The only thing I remember about Lander tonight was the pass that went out of bounds with no player in sight.  I hope.he stays patient and realize his time will eventually come

He literally caught a pass in midair and in the same motion snapped it to a wide-open Al Durham for a (missed) corner three.  The pass itself was slick and created a wide-open look.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Someone gets it. And a guy who finished last season shooting north of 40 percent is not average, gee, that’s the point 

I don't think its a lack of getting it by anyone.  Its that his defense is terrible and he looks lost.  And so far he hasn't shown the Hunter of the end of last season.  His BBQ IQ seem to be low at this point.  So not making good choices and playing bad defense will keep him out of the game.   I would love to have a 6'7 wing who is a dead eye shooter who can defend at a high level and have his athletic ability.  But he just isn't at this point.  

Does anyone know his +/- for when he is in the game?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

No he’s not. Hunter finished last season shooting North of 40 percent, why would you look at his limited time this season and label him a 33 percent shooter? He has shot 33 percent so far on the year, in limited minutes. As Gleas recognizes he needs to be given some rope, as Cam did today, for his offense. That is what shooters need. Cam consistently calls him one of the best shooters in the team, because he is, if you want to win you have to be able to score.

Am I misreading? Hunter shot 30% from 3 last season. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4397011/jerome-hunter

Link to post
Share on other sites

That 3 point shot reminded me of a time in the tournament a guard for N. Iowa shot a 3 after breaking a press.  They were up 4 against KU with like 40 seconds to go and when you saw him shoot you day noooooo good shot

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't think its a lack of getting it by anyone.  Its that his defense is terrible and he looks lost.  And so far he hasn't shown the Hunter of the end of last season.  His BBQ IQ seem to be low at this point.  So not making good choices and playing bad defense will keep him out of the game.   I would love to have a 6'7 wing who is a dead eye shooter who can defend at a high level and have his athletic ability.  But he just isn't at this point.  

Does anyone know his +/- for when he is in the game?  

Oh it’s fair to say he’s playing poor D, but I don’t agree with the bball IQ statement. Regardless if you look up you’ll see Gleas’s post, to which I agreed, that said his D has been bad but he was agreeing with the point we are going to need his offense. The offense stagnates, Hunter can shoot, if you’re guards aren’t connecting get someone shooting on the floor. That happened, and we won 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That 3 point shot reminded me of a time in the tournament a guard for N. Iowa shot a 3 after breaking a press.  They were up 4 against KU with like 40 seconds to go and when you saw him shoot you day noooooo good shot

I know the exact shot you are talking about and remember the same exact thought process 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Am I misreading? Hunter shot 30% from 3 last season. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4397011/jerome-hunter

Yes, you’re misreading. He finished the year, as I said, shooting North of 40 percent. His game turned around in February, and with it came significantly increased minutes, and golly with that came his shooting. That’s the point, and one CAM has recognized several times. Why do you think CAM repeatedly calls him one of the top 3 shooters on the team? Come on HF 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't think its a lack of getting it by anyone.  Its that his defense is terrible and he looks lost.  And so far he hasn't shown the Hunter of the end of last season.  His BBQ IQ seem to be low at this point.  So not making good choices and playing bad defense will keep him out of the game.   I would love to have a 6'7 wing who is a dead eye shooter who can defend at a high level and have his athletic ability.  But he just isn't at this point.  

Does anyone know his +/- for when he is in the game?  

I think on Assembly Call they said Hunter was like a +14

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh it’s fair to say he’s playing poor D, but I don’t agree with the bball IQ statement. Regardless if you look up you’ll see Gleas’s post, to which I agreed, that said his D has been bad but he was agreeing with the point we are going to need his offense. The offense stagnates, Hunter can shoot, if you’re guards aren’t connecting get someone shooting on the floor. That happened, and we won 

Yeah but i am not sure he is a net positive.  Now, if he was putting up 15-20 a game then maybe you could overlook his defense.  But man he puts up some bad shots at times and doesn't always make the best decision.  But i can't say anyone other than AF is a good shooter on this team.  

I personally have not seen enough of him doing what everyone says he can do to say he should play.  But if he comes in and starts dropping buckets then give him a break over the defense.  But he has been in the system for 3 years and doesn' get it defensively, at this point, he is possibly a net negative.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...