#8 Wisconsin pregame 1/7 7:00 pm EST FS1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I’ll post this here, not sure if this is credible 

Very credible. He's a member here. I don't doubt Stewart is in Bloomington. I do doubt we'll see him in a game soon.  Maybe in a few games if he gets in shape quickly.

Wisconsin, as we all know, will be very tough to beat.  Their previously scheduled game with Penn State was postponed.  Before that UW beat Minny.  Here are the game notes: Game notes: No. 6 Wisconsin Badgers men’s basketball 71, No. 21 Minnesota 59 - Bucky's 5th Quarter

As you can see, UW takes care of the ball. Loves scoring in the paint. Has a decent defense.  

I graduated both from IU-B and UW-M and live in Ohio.  I support IU basketball!  Hated attending games between UW and IU up there in their old field house.  Indiana almost always lost up there.  Both are great universities in great settings.  

I hope that our guards initiate the offense quickly and value the ball.  UW may hit IU with full-court press...TJD needs to hit shots early and helping him with assists would be the ticket.  Hope Franklin is healthy. This will be a defensive battle.  If Phin dribbles at the top of the key and shortens the clock we are doomed.  That weave has got to stop.  Get into the paint and rule it.

10 hours ago, madmax said:

Not sure where to put this and don’t want to start a new thread. But here’s some data to back up what @BGleaswon’t stop saying-that the offense is generating good shots that just don’t hit.

3391BC7F-6634-4CEF-BB39-27979AB8C92A.jpeg

Wow, doesn’t this sum up the obvious. So many missed wide open shots. I feel like CAM should show this graph to any shooter they’re trying to recruit. I also wonder, how many of those open shots were given to us?

19 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Wow, doesn’t this sum up the obvious. So many missed wide open shots. I feel like CAM should show this graph to any shooter they’re trying to recruit. I also wonder, how many of those open shots were given to us?

good stuff.  only thing i counter with is, although they are good open shots, maybe we need to take more like 11 threes instead of 22 if we start 0-11?  maybe a good shot needs to be passed up for a great shot more often.

1 hour ago, Air Ball said:

Wisconsin, as we all know, will be very tough to beat.  Their previously scheduled game with Penn State was postponed.  Before that UW beat Minny.  Here are the game notes: Game notes: No. 6 Wisconsin Badgers men’s basketball 71, No. 21 Minnesota 59 - Bucky's 5th Quarter

As you can see, UW takes care of the ball. Loves scoring in the paint. Has a decent defense.  

I graduated both from IU-B and UW-M and live in Ohio.  I support IU basketball!  Hated attending games between UW and IU up there in their old field house.  Indiana almost always lost up there.  Both are great universities in great settings.  

I hope that our guards initiate the offense quickly and value the ball.  UW may hit IU with full-court press...TJD needs to hit shots early and helping him with assists would be the ticket.  Hope Franklin is healthy. This will be a defensive battle.  If Phin dribbles at the top of the key and shortens the clock we are doomed.  That weave has got to stop.  Get into the paint and rule it.

AF is out 

41 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

good stuff.  only thing i counter with is, although they are good open shots, maybe we need to take more like 11 threes instead of 22 if we start 0-11?  maybe a good shot needs to be passed up for a great shot more often.

We're already next to last (Illinois) in the B1G in 3 point attempts...You think we should pass up open looks?

There were actually a couple times in the first that I was hoping one of the kids would shoot it...one notably was Trey's passing on a 3 only to get a shot clock violation which somebody already pointed out...

I'm not saying we need to go all Iowa on teams, but I think if we get an good open look, we need to take it...

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We're already next to last (Illinois) in the B1G in 3 point attempts...You think we should pass up open looks?

There were actually a couple times in the first that I was hoping one of the kids would shoot it...one notably was Trey's passing on a 3 only to get a shot clock violation which somebody already pointed out...

I'm not saying we need to go all Iowa on teams, but I think if we get an good open look, we need to take it...

i understand, and it's okay for us to disagree as usual.  yeah, i actually do want them to pass up open looks if we are 0-11.  i mean not literally every single open 3, but Trey ended 0-4.  not sure i wanted to see him get to 0-6.  i guess i'd be happy to see us get to dead last in 3 point attempts.  

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

In that last game I saw some good shots passed up for other good shots.  Gotta love the ball movement and unselfishness of this team, especially compared to last year.  Gotta think eventually Rob and Al can get closer to their averages.  If Galloway can hit.  He has the stones to keep pulling, he must hit those some in practice.  Leal is eventually going to come in and go 1-1, 2-2.  Hunter, let's hope he builds on the 2-5, he acts confident and most of his misses rim in and out or are just long by a hair.  

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We absolutely need to be taking 3’s to spread the floor. We’re not taking enough, that’s part of the problem with the offense stagnating. 

10 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

In that last game I saw some good shots passed up for other good shots.  Gotta love the ball movement and unselfishness of this team, especially compared to last year.  Gotta think eventually Rob and Al can get closer to their averages.  If Galloway can hit.  He has the stones to keep pulling, he must hit those some in practice.  Leal is eventually going to come in and go 1-1, 2-2.  Hunter, let's hope he builds on the 2-5, he acts confident and most of his misses rim in and out or are just long by a hair.  

Galloway isn’t a deep shooter. There will be games where he connects but you can just watch that form and see the work he needs to put in to improve  his shooting. He can score much better getting inside, and he’s very good moving off ball and finding the right pass. The team should be getting the better shooters more involved not forcing it.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

We absolutely need to be taking 3’s to spread the floor. We’re not taking enough, that’s part of the problem with the offense stagnating. 

so, we are certainly allowed to disagree, but just checking...you think we'll be a better team if we start shooting MORE threes?

A lot to gather here...

I do think if one of the perimeter guys is open, they should shoot...Of course that's dependent on a few factors...Time left on shot clock, time left in the game, and, of course, who's doing the shooting...

I know I sound like a broken record, but in my estimation one of the 3 components of good shooting (along with form and repetition) is confidence, and you're never going to build that by passing up a wide open shot...

29 minutes ago, rico said:

If we are open, shoot away.  Rain 3's on them.  Get a few to drop and their defense will change.

hey Rico.  hope you're having a great day!  my thing is i agree, if we shoot enough, a couple will go in, but i have trouble understanding how 6-30 is better than just taking more 2 point shots and making 46% of those.  i am no genius, but i do teach math, and it doesn't add up.  

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A lot to gather here...

I do think if one of the perimeter guys is open, they should shoot...Of course that's dependent on a few factors...Time left on shot clock, time left in the game, and, of course, who's doing the shooting...

I know I sound like a broken record, but in my estimation one of the 3 components of good shooting (along with form and repetition) is confidence, and you're never going to build that by passing up a wide open shot...

i certainly agree that confidence is important, but would argue that for example... if TJD is confident he can make 3s and goes out and shoots 10 tonight thinking he's going to make them all, he's really not going to make more than 1 or 2 if he's lucky.  so while confidence matters, you also have to be a decent 3 point shooter.  

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i certainly agree that confidence is important, but would argue that for example... if TJD is confident he can make 3s and goes out and shoots 10 tonight thinking he's going to make them all, he's really not going to make more than 1 or 2 if he's lucky.  so while confidence matters, you also have to be a decent 3 point shooter.  

Trayce has never taken a 3 point attempt in a college game...I'm talking more Galloway, Leal, Lander, Geronimo, more than anything...We know Armaan, Al, Jerome, and Rob will take them...Race I'm torn on, but he hasn't done so well so far (2-7)...

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

hey Rico.  hope you're having a great day!  my thing is i agree, if we shoot enough, a couple will go in, but i have trouble understanding how 6-30 is better than just taking more 2 point shots and making 46% of those.  i am no genius, but i do teach math, and it doesn't add up.  

Metrics are a funny thing.  Somewhere in them the truth lies but they don't show everything.  The fact is that not only do we struggle from behind the arc, we struggle from 10 feet away.  We just got to hit those open jumpers at a somewhat respectable clip.  Right now the opposition is daring us to shoot.  We got to knock down a few of those looks.  We can't depend on lay-ups or getting to the line.  We need to make the D pay for giving us open looks outside of the lane.  We knock a few down, better early than late, the oppositions D will make adjustments and leave TJD alone to dunk at will.  Metrics doesn't have an x's and o's in it, but the game itself does.

PS-I am fine and thank you for asking.

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Metrics are a funny thing.  Somewhere in them the truth lies but they don't show everything.  The fact is that not only do we struggle from behind the arc, we struggle from 10 feet away.  We just got to hit those open jumpers at a somewhat respectable clip.  Right now the opposition is daring us to shoot.  We got to knock down a few of those looks.  We can't depend on lay-ups or getting to the line.  We need to make the D pay for giving us open looks outside of the lane.  We knock a few down, better early than late, the oppositions D will make adjustments and leave TJD alone to dunk at will.  Metrics doesn't have an x's and o's in it, but the game itself does.

PS-I am fine and thank you for asking.

good points.  it is kinda sad that we don't shoot better around the basket, etc.  i totally get that we need to hit from further out to open things up.  i just don't know to what end?  i personally can't see wanting us to shoot more 3s.  of course if a guy is on like AF has been or Al has been or even RP in a particular game, get them the ball and have them get 'em up!  definitely Leal if he's open.  that's what he's here for.  i'm just saying when we start 0-11, i'm not super excited with the theory of keep shooting 'em, 1 or 2 will go in!  you know?  the games that i felt like we looked the best, we started out moving the ball great and getting open looks around the basket.  then we started shooting 3s and it was like we completely forgot how to play.

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

good points.  it is kinda sad that we don't shoot better around the basket, etc.  i totally get that we need to hit from further out to open things up.  i just don't know to what end?  i personally can't see wanting us to shoot more 3s.  of course if a guy is on like AF has been or Al has been or even RP in a particular game, get them the ball and have them get 'em up!  definitely Leal if he's open.  that's what he's here for.  i'm just saying when we start 0-11, i'm not super excited with the theory of keep shooting 'em, 1 or 2 will go in!  you know?  the games that i felt like we looked the best, we started out moving the ball great and getting open looks around the basket.  then we started shooting 3s and it was like we completely forgot how to play.

Nothing wrong with having a different take.  My take would be different if we were a strong FT shooting team.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I was torn on the play you mentioned. I was disappointed that we didn't get a good shot, but glad we didn't hoist up a bad shot that would probably have amounted to a live ball turnover. 

28 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

I was torn on the play you mentioned. I was disappointed that we didn't get a good shot, but glad we didn't hoist up a bad shot that would probably have amounted to a live ball turnover. 

When Trey caught the ball with about 3 seconds left on the shot clock, I yelled "SHOOT!" so loud it scared the dogs...

Archived