Wisconsin Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 5 championships said:

That was a heck of a play call by Archie!! The refs though. Wow. I just don’t get it. You would think someone like Michigan State would get all the calls. What is up with Wisconsin?? It’s so bad every year!!

For sure, IU should of been at the line more.

But, Wisconsin plays under control and with good athletic body movement.  Many of IU drives have shoulders and head down.  You don't always get those calls.

Can't understand the no calls under the rim.  And some of the ticky tack ones called on Rob and Leal

I don't have much else to add that hasn't been said already. My lasting thought after some time to decompress is that the sky is the limit for the team we saw tonight. 

Give me this effort and add Armaan back when healthy, and this group will win plenty of conference games and be an absolute pain in the ass for any team that is in our way in the tourney.

Execute on 1-2 more plays and get more than 8 free throws on 41 shots inside the arc and this one is an easy victory. 

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

For sure, IU should of been at the line more.

But, Wisconsin plays under control and with good athletic body movement.  Many of IU drives have shoulders and head down.  You don't always get those calls.

Can't understand the no calls under the rim.  And some of the ticky tack ones called on Rob and Leal

Yogi senior year Nigel Hayes shot 24 free throws. Way more than IU as a team shot. It was awful. It’s been bad up there for a long long time. 

It’s funny I wasn’t participating in the game thread.  My kids commandeered our big TV so I was in my den calmly watching and there were a couple of bad calls and I was “oh well.”  

When we got to like 5, I logged on to say how bad the calls were getting. To my amazement, there were like two pages of posts saying the same thing I was.  In other words, this isn’t “group think.”  We all are watching the game and could see the exact same thing.   We were pulling ahead and the refs pushed it back down.  So they were directly  impacting the game unfairly and affecting its outcome.  

I don’t think it’s just eyesight.  I think there is an emotional intelligence component. You have to see a play, process it mentally, understand what you’re seeing, considering consistency in your approach, etc.  These guys honestly didn’t seem very bright.  

1 minute ago, 5 championships said:

Yogi senior year Nigel Hayes shot 24 free throws. Way more than IU as a team shot. It was awful. It’s been bad up there for a long long time. 

Don't get it.  I was just looking at the box score.  IU had 7 blocks and made more FG.  Fouls, turnovers, rebounds, and steals hurt.

Nice to make 3's its a gamechanger.  Had some open ones we would want back.

Getting better and this us without Galloway having a good game and he has been solid.

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It’s funny I wasn’t participating in the game thread.  My kids commandeered our big TV so I was in my den calmly watching and there were a couple of bad calls and I was “oh well.”  

When we got to like 5, I logged on to say how bad the calls were getting. To my amazement, there were like two pages of posts saying the same thing I was.  In other words, this isn’t “group think.”  We all are watching the game and could see the exact same thing.   We were pulling ahead and the refs pushed it back down.  So they were directly  impacting the game unfairly and affecting its outcome.  

I don’t think it’s just eyesight.  I think there is an emotional intelligence component. You have to see a play, process it mentally, understand what you’re seeing, considering consistency in your approach, etc.  These guys honestly didn’t seem very bright.  

I am wondering how many of these refs actually know the game of basketball.  Yes they have to learn the rules of the game but that is different than knowing basketball.

11 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Don't get it.  I was just looking at the box score.  IU had 7 blocks and made more FG.  Fouls, turnovers, rebounds, and steals hurt.

Getting better and this us without Galloway having a good game and he has been solid.

With Armaan coming back, Leal showing smart and good offense (and solid D), and Hunter playing more 3 than the 4, I’m wondering if Galloways minutes will start decreasing?   

16 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Galloway’s game is now known. He is being scouted.

The next step for him, as a developing frosh, is to further develop his shooting and find other ways to score. His offense had little range right now and that makes it easier to defend him and limits what he can do. 

27 minutes ago, Bustout said:

As much as the refs sucked, they did help IU vs PSU.  I think they hosed is at FSU too, so now we’re back to getting owed one!

The PSU game wasn't even close to that. We got a questionable call at the end of regulation when we had the ball and their defense out of position anyway. 

Very disappointed in the outcome, but pleased with the way the team played.  2OT against an experienced team getting their customary 5 foul advantage while playing 3 freshmen significant minutes.  Missing Franklin obviously hurt, but we compensated for it well.  Race getting saddled with fouls hurts without having Brunk and I think TJD was a little "spent" at the end.

This was a game where the way we played was fun to watch.  If we can do it consistently the wins will come.

Some positives: TJD, Al, Hunter, and Leal all had really good games that they can build on. 

13 turnovers in a 50 minute game is pretty good, but way too many were live-ball turnovers which hurts. 

I thought Archie coached another really good game. We got some great late looks because of him (TJD missed layup, Al 3-point play), he tweaked lineups with what was working and did a great job managing early foul trouble. I even thought he bought us a couple of the calls that we did get. 

Defense. It was really good yet again. 

I remain bullish on this team and the direction we are going as a program. I still think we will be a really dangerous 7ish seed and continue to grow next year. While I wish the growth would come faster like all of us, you'd have to be intentionally missing some of the great framework we have in place as a program and things to build on. 

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Do you think our sets were wrong or did Rob running behind Al while bringing a defender not allowing a shot to get off cause it? Maybe not the sets....maybe the execution right??

It looked like Al was supposed to go off a TJD ball screen that Al waved off n it just kinda went to $*!t from there.  Maybe TJD was supposed to roll and Rob was supposed to slide over to that wing for a kick out if he defender dropped down.  It sounds like a great play in my head if they ran it right.....but thats not what happened and kids that were born the year we last won a game up there will be able to vote before we win our next one.  🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

When we got up 56-50 and on the next 3 possessions they got 3 fouls called and hit 5 out of 6 from the line

You are correct sir. We had done a really good job defending the free throw line the last few games, we got lazy on free throw D down the stretch this game.

6 hours ago, Bushmage said:

If you read my post I am referring specifically to the three game closing inbounds. I would not try to argue we weren't having a great game for much else of the time. We were. 

But when we had the chance to seal it, not one of the three chances looked prepared at all.

You know it’s weird, and I’ve seen it before with other teams, but teams that haven’t won a lot of games - specifically away games, have to learn how to finish opponents off. 

That being said, someone  mentioned they wouldn’t be upset if Archie got fined for talking about the refs, well wouldn’t hurt my feelings to see the refs fined. 

Archie's Comments...He never gripes about the officiating, but a little after the 4 minute mark, he does say that Trayce made 16 field goals and only had 5 foul shots, and the team only got 8...In a double overtime game...Unbelievable...

10 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Complete hose job. 

That said JEROME! 12 points and 7 boards. This is the Hunter I’ve been taking about. 

We took Wiscy’s 8 players to double OT without AF. We now have Hunter showing his offense. Get AF back and this team can be dangerous 

Yeah....Dangerous "AF"...!!!!😁

If Anthony and Jerome can make that same kind of contribution, after Armaan comes back we'll be loaded for bear...

To me, Anthony and Trey are essentially the same players, save a few differences...Both smart, tough kids, with a high basketball IQ...Both make "winning" plays...Both will give you a total effort on the defensive end, although at times they'll be a little overmatched...Trey is more athletic and gets to the basket better...But Anthony proved those 500 3s a day mean something...Moving forward, I think his outside shooting will be the difference in his playing time...

And Khristian needs to follow the blueprint that Trey and Anthony are giving him...You don't have to come in and score, and make a lot of plays...just run the offense, take care of the ball, defend, and if a play comes your way, great...BUT STOP FORCING IT! 3 shots in 4 minutes? And I'm not sure a one of them touched iron...Kid, you put "patience is the key" on your Twitter feed...Yes, it certainly is...WITHIN THE GAME, not just in overall progress...Bardo said something to that effect about our freshmen during the game...and he lauded Leal for doing just that...

And I've been as hard on Al and Jerome as anybody, but both kids came to play...I see a fight in Jerome that I hadn't seen before, and as his confidence goes up, so will that fighting spirit...Al was scrapping the whole way too...I was proud of both...

And lastly, TJD is the leader of this team, captaincy aside...He knows it, we know it, and the players know it...Archie knew that needed to happen all along...the kid played his guts out for 49 minutes in a 50 minute game...What a warrior he's become...Dale is probably beaming...

No let down against Nebraska boys...They're not a really good team, but the have a few kids who can play...Allen, McGowans, and Banton all have a bit of a game, if undisciplined...Forget last night and play like you can, and we'll go home at .500...

Archived