Wisconsin Postgame Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

He was wrong once in the last 3 years. maybe he was wrong twice, we will never know. People can say we made it, but facts are no one did because the ncaa refused to put out a bracket. We could ask Archie if he got his bonus for making it last year. i'm guessing he didn't.

Did you just say Lunardi has been wrong once in the last 3 years? That might be the funniest thing I’ve ever read on this board. 

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

He was wrong once in the last 3 years. maybe he was wrong twice, we will never know. People can say we made it, but facts are no one did because the ncaa refused to put out a bracket. We could ask Archie if he got his bonus for making it last year. i'm guessing he didn't.

let me hear you replacement candidates, and dont be foolish and say brad stevens or billy donovan. 

1 minute ago, Hippopotamo said:

Galloway didn’t have his best game yesterday, and I think Archie wanted to emphasize spacing the floor a bit more. I think yesterday is more a testament to how well Leal was playing versus Galloway being not as good. They’re both major pieces for us IMO 

I would love to see Trey take on the guy at the rim rather than kicking it out every time or throwing up some wild reverse. The kid gets to the rim whenever he wants.  draw the fouls.

47 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll say for a kid like Lander...we really missed those extra preseason games where he could get valuable playing time while we were up 20+. This year we had 1 easy game vs North Alabama and he scored 10, 4 rebounds, 3 assists...

Missing out on the extra run stunted some of the growth. Hard to find moments in our schedule. Hopefully we can come out and beat Nebraska up good so he can get extra minutes there. Otherwise he's just going to have learn on the fly all season.

It’s a tough expectation though ...he’s technically only a senior in high school and he has a jump shot where he doesn’t leave the floor more than 3-6 inches on set shots.  At 6-2 at his age Thats going to take some time to learn the speeed of the game.  He’s clearly quick enough but shooting 6-30 on the year ( most of that success in the game you mentioned ) probably doesn’t have his confidence  sky high but I think they had an expectation when he reclassified that an extra year of eligibility  might  be in play and took this as kind of a “training year”.

44 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Agree and have been banging this drum for a while now, lol. When I banged the Hunter drum I caught flack (which struck me as odd). Now look at him, his ability to score is clear. Lander is exceptionally talented. Yes, he hasn't looked ready, but when you play a guy 2 minutes then 3 minutes, etc., that's how he's going to look Instead of simply defending CAM (who I obviously believe in), it's worth it to think about what the kid could be doing if getting more in-game experience, as he would be in most other programs. The good thing here, imo, is that CAM is pretty clearly trying to get him in now. It's going to be a work in progress.

Don’t forget he should only be a senior I think this year was planned as a build on year for him from the get go ...even limited minutes help him to adjust to the speed of the game while he hopefully works on putting on some muscle ...he’s clearly Quick enough 

Just now, ledies22 said:

let me hear you replacement candidates, and dont be foolish and say brad stevens or billy donovan. 

Not saying fire Archie, just be better. The future isn't that bright either. We lose TJD with the class coming we are screwed, because other schools arent waiting on IU.  Everyone thought this was the year, hell the big ten is better than ever and we are sitting at the bottom 3rd again.

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

Not saying fire Archie, just be better. The future isn't that bright either. We lose TJD with the class coming we are screwed, because other schools arent waiting on IU.  Everyone thought this was the year, hell the big ten is better than ever and we are sitting at the bottom 3rd again.

This is true ...2021 will be the first class Archie has NOT clearly won in-state recruiting and if that class misses AND tjd leaves we could feel it for 2-3 years 

2 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

Just watched the game and haven't gone through this thread yet, but any game commentary that doesn't include how awful that officiating is, is way off base. I can live with the host of no calls against them in the lane, but the 2nd half fouls their guards got we're unbelievable. The offensive foul on hunter in the 1st, the box out call on leal in it, the shooting foul on phinisee. Just unbelievable.

totally agree, I remember one time in the second half that Trice dribbled to the left baseline and went up for a 18 foot shot.  RP was called for a foul and the highlight shows that he never touched him and wasn't even close to him.

32 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Bob hope you’re well ! Haven’t gotten to speak to ya much ......I think you’re both right , some calls could have benefitted us but to me this was the opposite of the penn state game where we might have gotten away with contact or calls a couple times at the end at home and it helped us ....regardless I’ve been hard on Archie and our backcourt and I think they played a part in us missing several chances to win the game but those things considered  this was the most fun game to watch for me all year the guys looked energetic and fought hard in a tough place to win .....I would obviously prefer to win but if we are that competitive in our losses that’s IU basketball I remember 

Great to see you posting over here.  I wish you’d post more.  You have a lot to add.  

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

totally agree, I remember one time in the second half that Trice dribbled to the left baseline and went up for a 18 foot shot.  RP was called for a foul and the highlight shows that he never touched him and wasn't even close to him.

But of course the announcer said “ oh there WAS contact” those guys are a joke.  You are definitely correct but we were the benefactor of a couple calls against pen and despite not getting the calls in this one we still had chances to win and still looked like a strong team that fights which was great to see 

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Did anyone catch the refs’ names from last night?

It might bear watching to see if there is a trend with them.  It might be interesting to develop a body of work with them over time.  

I think it was Trice, Reuvers and Potter. 🤷‍♂️

53 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Getting blown out at home to Northwestern tells me other wise. Archie can damn sure call the plays, but he can't execute them...isn't it his job to get players to execute? you and I can draw up a play. Archie better hire an assistant that can teach offense because he doesnt have one now. A blow out or a 2ot loss is still a loss. They had to find ways to lose last night and they did.

Since when is a 74-67 score a blow out and it went down to the last minute of the game.

58 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Getting blown out at home to Northwestern tells me other wise. Archie can damn sure call the plays, but he can't execute them...isn't it his job to get players to execute? you and I can draw up a play. Archie better hire an assistant that can teach offense because he doesnt have one now. A blow out or a 2ot loss is still a loss. They had to find ways to lose last night and they did.

But at a certain point it just comes back on the players to make plays and hit shots. All signs point to the offense creating good shots, we’ve just often lacked the firepower to make the shots. Not sure if you saw this, but I think it’s pretty enlightening. 

D8967806-C417-4643-B915-6990D4CB98FA.jpeg

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Did anyone catch the refs’ names from last night?

It might bear watching to see if there is a trend with them.  It might be interesting to develop a body of work with them over time.  

Alverez, Ryan, and Bennett would be my guesses...😁

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Also... a 7 point loss to Northwestern is not by any reasonable person considered a “blowout”. Disappointing loss? For sure. Blowout? No.

30 minutes ago, Indykev said:

yes i was wrong found one from sbnation had us at 11. ok maybe we would have, facts still are we didnt play. :coffee:😊

Kev, all I did was rag on Lunardi.....not you. Just making a joke. I know you can’t definitively say if we were in or out. 

This is a message board; our fuel is hypotheticals. 

I've been part of my fair share of "state of the program" debates over the last year but after last night I have far less concerns than I had after even a couple of the recent wins.  I don't really see the point of perseverating over a 2 OT loss to the #8 team in the country with a quite obvious refereeing disparity in a place we haven't won in 22 years. 

Archived