Leal

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

This guys needs his own topic for how he played last night and how hard he works.  Guy makes 500 3s every day, not shoots 500 but makes 500.  That is a work ethic.  He keeps working like that he will be a joy to watch.  Nice work Mr. Leal, keep it up.

Go to the 3:30 mark to see what Al thinks of Anthony's game...

In the few times he's recieved extended minutes this year, I've always liked his floor game (defensive positioning, movement without the ball, quick ball movement, entry passes, etc.) and thought he could break out if he could just take/make a few open 3's. 

Really happy that he got the chance last night and delivered! Hoping IU can utilize his shooting more down the stretch. 

I think what has actually been the most impressive so far to me has been his defensive improvement over the course of this short season. I can remember him being a huge liability on D during his minutes in Maui. He’s obviously adjusted well and made some really good plays on bigger players last night.

Very happy with Anthony's progress, if not a little surprised.  He's one of the few recruits who I got to see multiple games of his before coming to IU and I wasn't sure how quickly his game would adjust to the D1 level.  Right now it looks like he's adjusting quite well.  I think this freshman class will eventually become one we all really like.

Also, am I the only one just waiting for the moment when Geronimo has a Vic-like highlight reel moment?

12 minutes ago, madmax said:

I think what has actually been the most impressive so far to me has been his defensive improvement over the course of this short season. I can remember him being a huge liability on D during his minutes in Maui. He’s obviously adjusted well and made some really good plays on bigger players last night.

Completely agree. He was lost early on, on D. That he has been adjusting well to the speed of the college game and has learned CAM's defensive positioning well so far is clear. The kid is growing his game, and he's ALWAYS been a good shooter. With Hunter and Leal getting the minutes/run to get into the flow of the game and show their ability to drain deep shots, the team is now better. Get AF back soon (please) and we now have a more balanced spread-the-floor game.

14 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Very happy with Anthony's progress, if not a little surprised.  He's one of the few recruits who I got to see multiple games of his before coming to IU and I wasn't sure how quickly his game would adjust to the D1 level.  Right now it looks like he's adjusting quite well.  I think this freshman class will eventually become one we all really like.

Also, am I the only one just waiting for the moment when Geronimo has a Vic-like highlight reel moment?

Don't worry Zuck you'll see that highlight reel moment!

I don't know if anyone else saw it the same way, but when I watched Leal last night I saw 2 things:

1) First and most intriguing - confidence, he had a bit of swagger about him that I haven't seen much out of our guards/wings.  He wanted to be the guy taking big shots.  Its something I don't think can be taught but something a guy just wants and goes out and gets.  I saw it in his facial expression and demeanor on the court.  He was enjoying basketball and wanted the other team to know it.  He didn't look afraid of anyone or anything out there in a big road game.  And he's just a freshman.  I think he's going to be our "killa" we've been waiting for.  Armaan could be too, but Leal showed something last night. 

2) Also his defense was stellar.  He bodied up the post position when he was switched off on ball screens and nothing was easy for his man.  His on ball defense was also good.  

21 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

I don't know if anyone else saw it the same way, but when I watched Leal last night I saw 2 things:

1) First and most intriguing - confidence, he had a bit of swagger about him that I haven't seen much out of our guards/wings.  He wanted to be the guy taking big shots.  Its something I don't think can be taught but something a guy just wants and goes out and gets.  I saw it in his facial expression and demeanor on the court.  He was enjoying basketball and wanted the other team to know it.  He didn't look afraid of anyone or anything out there in a big road game.  And he's just a freshman.  I think he's going to be our "killa" we've been waiting for.  Armaan could be too, but Leal showed something last night. 

2) Also his defense was stellar.  He bodied up the post position when he was switched off on ball screens and nothing was easy for his man.  His on ball defense was also good.  

He also knows how to feed the post. I am very impressed with that, his hustle, swagger and he was very fundamental. He had a great block out on the Wisconsin kid and they called one of their bull???? fouls on him. He is a future star for Indiana. 

4 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

This guys needs his own topic for how he played last night and how hard he works.  Guy makes 500 3s every day, not shoots 500 but makes 500.  That is a work ethic.  He keeps working like that he will be a joy to watch.  Nice work Mr. Leal, keep it up.

I agree 1000%. He wants to play and he worked his butt off last night. Momma Leal has to be so proud of he son. Mr. Leal is the Real Deal!

21 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And Hunter

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just didn't include him because IMO he's a different type of player than those guys, and at least for now more of a forward (where he was back to last night). 

As happy as I was about Jerome hitting jumpers, I was just as happy with his inside game...7 boards, and a couple of dunks...and he had at least an acceptable defensive game...

I wonder what turned it around for him?

The one things Leal, IMO,  will need to learn how is much aggression to put into something.  Battling a big down low vs boxing out a guy right under the rim.  I know people say he shouldn't have gotten the foul but it will be called almost every time if the guy you are boxing out goes up for a rebound and you keep backing into his legs.  You see it every game.

He played well from what i saw and was talking smack to the free throw shooter after one of his foul, which is awesome.

He and Galloway will be really enjoyable to watch over the next couple years.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

IU still needs a legit point guard, hopefully Lander turns into that, but as far as the guard/wing positions go I feel really good with the trio of Franklin, Leal and Galloway over the next few years.  

I’m looking forward to the trio of a senior Franklin, and junior Leal/Galloway playing together. 

2 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

I will say I actually have seen this out of our guards/wings before but the problem is I only see it when they are freshmen. I don't know if it's a problem with the program in general or if the offense is too rigid or what but the more experienced guys seem to be afraid to put up a shot at times. Whereas when they entered the program their freshman year they had the more aggressive, scoring mentality. Maybe it's an effort to weed out "bad" shots like contested 20 footers that maybe goes a little too far. Happy to be convinced otherwise.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Just didn't include him because IMO he's a different type of player than those guys, and at least for now more of a forward (where he was back to last night). 

I think he's most at home on the wing, though he looked good where he was playing last night. He's a bit undersized etc to play a more typical forward role, and I think that has set him back when stuck there this season. But maybe he's adjusting now, and regardless was good to see, with extended minutes and flow, his having the opportunity to shoot in rhythm. We've always known he could shoot, and his D, a work in progress, seems to be improving. I'm one who thinks that while he fouls too much (leaving aside the complete BS calls in this game), it has to do with his aggressiveness, more than positioning, and once he gets that more under control (kind of like Vic had too, just as to his aggressiveness leading to fouling) his D will continue to improve.

Leal showed he can contribute on offense and he worked hard on D even with some lapses and being mismatched size-wise way too often. Other teams have figured out that pulling TJD away from the basket while IU has three guards on the court requires a simple pick and you have a complete mismatch inside with the help defender being another guard. But Leal was going all out just like Galloway. That's got to be the approach from the freshmen.

Speaking of freshmen, this many games into the season Lander and Geronimo have to understand good shots vs bad shots. If they are 20+ feet from the basket with 20 seconds on the clock it should not be an option for them. I'm concerned especially for Lander that he is just panicking and trying to get up any shot he can take and has no concept of game clock or how the game is going.

For all the negative, it feels like they are close. Get Franklin back. Continue to develop the freshmen. Make a run. But they have to win these close games. The good news is, they have a lot of ranked teams on the table, so lots of opportunities to make amends.  Unfortunately it looks like Brunk is a non-factor this season. It's going to be small ball with no size to help coming off the bench. 

Archived