Leal

33 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

One word: opportunity. 

His minutes haven't really increased appreciably...but now he's capitalizing on opportunities...especially these last 2 games...

Confidence? Experience? I don't know, but something has "clicked" for him...he's feistier, more active...not just hanging out on the perimeter looking for his shot...willing to stick his nose in there for rebounds and fight for the ball...he had a couple of good "digs" on Wisconsin players driving to the hoop...

Whatever it is, it's good to see...and I'm really happy for him...he seems like such a good kid...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

One word: opportunity. 

I think it was more than that.  Yes, he played a season high 26 minutes, but it was a double overtime game, so there were extra minutes available for everyone.  To me, he seemed more confident and more aggressive.  Maybe it is tied to him believing he had more rope if he made a mistake since Armaan was out.  But, the way he played was noticeably different.

An interesting point to make on Jerome.  He's 11-30 from 3 on the year.  .367%,  Take out a 1-6 performance against North Alabama and he is 10-24, which is .416.  

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think it was more than that.  Yes, he played a season high 26 minutes, but it was a double overtime game, so there were extra minutes available for everyone.  To me, he seemed more confident and more aggressive.  Maybe it is tied to him believing he had more rope if he made a mistake since Armaan was out.  But, the way he played was noticeably different.

An interesting point to make on Jerome.  He's 11-30 from 3 on the year.  .367%,  Take out a 1-6 performance against North Alabama and he is 10-24, which is .416.  

Cherry picker...😉

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

oh sweet jesus, here we go again... hahhaha

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I feel like at least half of his misses are shots where he starts falling away for no reason. The occasional time where he actually squares up and stays square to the basket, he's deadly.

52 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Have been playing my broken record that the guy is one of the best three point shooters, and finished last year shooting 40%-plus from deep, and had to deal with a bunch of posts critiquing his shooting. oh well. He can clearly shoot, he's clearly a good deep shooter, will be interesting to see where he ends up, but the more run he gets the better his shooting will be, shooters need rhythm.

On your point, I think you're seeing both -- I agree -- confidence comes with getting to stay on the floor. How can you be confident when the coach yanks you off the floor the second you make a defensive mistake, and otherwise get limited time? His comments, and CAM's, previously, reflected that CAM was not fully confident in him, largely on his D. That bleeds over to him / any player. He's been better in recent games, in the PSU game he was quiet but solid. It's coming together for him.

20 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I feel like at least half of his misses are shots where he starts falling away for no reason. The occasional time where he actually squares up and stays square to the basket, he's deadly.

I've noticed that too, and I think you're on to something. 

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

Just saw this. I totally agree.  That three late yesterday was a beautiful square up.   I don’t think there is much in basketball that looks as beautiful as great form on a shot.  

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

His minutes haven't really increased appreciably...but now he's capitalizing on opportunities...especially these last 2 games...

Confidence? Experience? I don't know, but something has "clicked" for him...he's feistier, more active...not just hanging out on the perimeter looking for his shot...willing to stick his nose in there for rebounds and fight for the ball...he had a couple of good "digs" on Wisconsin players driving to the hoop...

Whatever it is, it's good to see...and I'm really happy for him...he seems like such a good kid...

He played 26 minutes. 

18 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He played 26 minutes. 

Nope...36 total minutes. Listened to Don Fischer tell JMV that exact stat about Leal on 1070 the fan around 5 today. One of the many impressive things Don told JMV today about Leal was that he “MAKES” 500 3 pointers every day. He always comes to practice early and is the last one to leave. Leal has always had my utmost praise and respect.

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think we just keep talking past each other. I’m not interested in another useless definitional discussion 

You said more opportunity was the reason for his turnaround...in the past 2 games, he's had about the same opportunity he's had all year...19 minutes vs Maryland, and 16, not counting OT vs Wisky...he averages 17 mpg on the year

That tells me it's not so much the opportunity as it is taking advantage of the opportunity...

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Nope...36 total minutes. Listened to Don Fischer tell JMV that exact stat about Leal on 1070 the fan around 5 today. One of the many impressive things Don told JMV today about Leal was that he “MAKES” 500 3 pointers every day. He always comes to practice early and is the last one to leave. Leal has always had my utmost praise and respect.

Again, neither @Hoosierhoopsteror I were talking about Leal

Archived