Jump to content

Hunter


Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Hunter, in a zoom meeting, said today that he finally isn’t having any issues out of his leg anymore.  Says he’s way behind on defense but is gaining confidence quickly.  Saw this on Twitter but not sure from who.  Goes with what I’ve been wondering for some time.  Basically he’s just now getting healthy for the first time since his injury.

Yeah explains a lot. Thx for posting 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On defense, to me it looks like he’s not in a good stance enough.  @BGleas can chime in since he’s tall and played, but to me at 6’7 if you could get a lower center of gravity you can move your feet better.  He looks upright and then gets blown by off the drive.  I can’t imagine he’s as slow as he looks at times.  

I have have noticed Trayce defends quicker on the perimeter this year and he’s doing what I described above as lacking with Hunter.  NBA scouts will like that.  I was actually surprised the first couple of times I saw that with Trayce.  

Back to Hunter, I just bring that all up because it seems very correctable and not hopeless.  He hit that monster three that I can’t stop talking about but I’m probably honestly even giddier about the aggressive dunks late too.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hunter, I beleive Archie's first recruit....got to feel good for him and his future.  Early reports from the secret Loyola scrimmage he was the best player with Langford second.

I do wish he would not fade on his three point shot.  Already a good shooter, got to think if his balance was better he would be even better.

But, that is all.  He played hard last game and his feet were the most active as I could remember.  He looks more comfortable at the 3 as well.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Hunter, in a zoom meeting, said today that he finally isn’t having any issues out of his leg anymore.  Says he’s way behind on defense but is gaining confidence quickly.  Saw this on Twitter but not sure from who.  Goes with what I’ve been wondering for some time.  Basically he’s just now getting healthy for the first time since his injury.

I noticed the last game that he seemed to have some spring in his legs and he was moving a little more fluidly. Hopefully he regains some of his lateral quickness. I think he could be a real difference maker and gaining his leg strength back will only improve his jump shot. I wish nothing but the best for this young man. You have to respect him for what he has gone through and the progress he has made. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Found it on YouTube

 

Thanks for posting this.  Interesting listen.  I like how Archie is trying to build confidence in his shooters, the missing piece at the moment.  This team has a lot of kids I enjoy rooting for.  Keep working Jerome (and get just a little less vertical on defense 😁).

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

On defense, to me it looks like he’s not in a good stance enough.  @BGleas can chime in since he’s tall and played, but to me at 6’7 if you could get a lower center of gravity you can move your feet better.  He looks upright and then gets blown by off the drive.  I can’t imagine he’s as slow as he looks at times.  

I have have noticed Trayce defends quicker on the perimeter this year and he’s doing what I described above as lacking with Hunter.  NBA scouts will like that.  I was actually surprised the first couple of times I saw that with Trayce.  

Back to Hunter, I just bring that all up because it seems very correctable and not hopeless.  He hit that monster three that I can’t stop talking about but I’m probably honestly even giddier about the aggressive dunks late too.  

I can't remember him ever dunking like that prior to the Wisconsin game. Seems to back up the leg finally being healthy. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Muckraker said:

I'm not sure I can remember him EVER dunking before. 

I can't remember him doing it, either. I just figured he probably had one on a fast break all alone or something that I couldn't think of; definitely nothing like that in traffic where he elevated and dunked with authority with guys around him. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I can't remember him doing it, either. I just figured he probably had one on a fast break all alone or something that I couldn't think of; definitely nothing like that in traffic where he elevated and dunked with authority with guys around him. 

Agree that's strong evidence the leg is feeling better.  A more athletic Hunter is a nice unexpected bonus for me.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Agree that's strong evidence the leg is feeling better.  A more athletic Hunter is a nice unexpected bonus for me.

Haven’t seen him dunk at IU but his pre-injury game included how deceptively strong he was going to the rim. I remember players talking about that early, he wasn’t just a shooter. Always kills me when a player’s game is taken from him by injury, Creek, et al, one of the reasons that I am thrilled to see Hunter getting his game back 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Hunter, in a zoom meeting, said today that he finally isn’t having any issues out of his leg anymore.  Says he’s way behind on defense but is gaining confidence quickly.  Saw this on Twitter but not sure from who.  Goes with what I’ve been wondering for some time.  Basically he’s just now getting healthy for the first time since his injury.

Rooting for this young man to get back to full speed. Except for on Thursday, of course. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BDB said:

Is that because of his leg condition or has that always been the case? 

Here's a game highlights clip of Hunter in high school -- as you can see from these highlights most of his scoring is either going to the basket strong or his mid-range game including his baby hook that we saw in the first game this season, when the set was run for him to take it.

It would be good to see more sets like that run, he has always scored well on hook shots and taking it to the rim -- as he is now back to full health, and now we've seen him dunk, it looks like he's getting his explosiveness back to go with increasing confidence. He's not a 'high flyer' type player, but he's always been strong to the basket.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Here's a game highlights clip of Hunter in high school -- as you can see from these highlights most of his scoring is either going to the basket strong or his mid-range game including his baby hook that we saw in the first game this season, when the set was run for him to take it.

It would be good to see more sets like that run, he has always scored well on hook shots and taking it to the rim -- as he is now back to full health, and now we've seen him dunk, it looks like he's getting his explosiveness back to go with increasing confidence. He's not a 'high flyer' type player, but he's always been strong to the basket.

 

His best move I’ve always thought was curling around screens into the lane and shooting that quick face up little jumper in the lane. 8-10 foot jumper getting into his mans body so they can’t jump. Has a nice touch around the rim. He can score honestly. Not super athletic but he has long arms and enough lift that even contested he gets his shot off and has enough touch that he makes a lot of those contested shots. Just a real good feel on his shot...that comes with reps and rhythm...which he is just starting to see.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Here's a game highlights clip of Hunter in high school -- as you can see from these highlights most of his scoring is either going to the basket strong or his mid-range game including his baby hook that we saw in the first game this season, when the set was run for him to take it.

It would be good to see more sets like that run, he has always scored well on hook shots and taking it to the rim -- as he is now back to full health, and now we've seen him dunk, it looks like he's getting his explosiveness back to go with increasing confidence. He's not a 'high flyer' type player, but he's always been strong to the basket.

 

People forget he also played Darius Bazley head to head and more than held his own as they guarded each other. If he can get back (or is back) to that level of health, I think the guy can be a program changer. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

People forget he also played Darius Bazley head to head and more than held his own as they guarded each other. If he can get back (or is back) to that level of health, I think the guy can be a program changer. 

A lot of us were bemoaning the lack of reliable outside shooting before and early into the season...

Now Franklin has emerged, Hunter is getting more reliable, Leal looks like he can be close to a 40%er, and we have Stewart waiting in the wings...and all should be back next year...

Makes me happy!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...