Nebraska Post-Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Good:
- Shooting in the first half
- Composure when Nebraska took the lead
- All around game from Hunter and Leal (and also Phinisee)
- some great new actions to isolate TJD in the post...It's just that they were playing off Race, off Trey, off the weak side guard as well, so there were always at least three, and sometimes four, defenders in the lane...
- TJD did a much better job handling the double team in this game
- We won the game without Franklin, and with Rob hurting and in foul trouble the second half
- we did better handling different defenses than we have in past games

Less than ideal:
- settling for threes (that we weren't hitting) in the second half

The bad:
- I thought that our poor FT shooting gave them life in the first half
- We were terrible in defensive transition...in terms of urgency and in terms of communication
- Stopping dribble penetration...this didn't surprise me, Nebraska has some slashing playmakers and size at the guard position, they had five guys who can handle the ball on the floor and were five wide anytime that their new post player was in the game...the two adjustments I would have considered were: going zone (But Archie just isn't going to consider that) or because we couldn't take TJD off the floor (Race wasn't better on the ball anyway)  I thought it might have been interesting to try a press so that they didn't have a head of steam coming at us the whole time...in a pressing situation we might have been able to do more to turn the ball handlers and also keep TJD near the rim for rim protection
- Race and TJD were not great around the rim tonight...if they finish one or two more at important points in the game, the whole feel is different 

59 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I agree with Coach on 99% of his posts. The ladies and guys I know that actually matter....keep saying the same thing. We have to break this cycle of hiring and firing. Miller is safe gang unless Dolson wants to try and make his mark early. 

Otherwise. Onward and upward. Beat Purdue. 

I have screamed this from the mountains.... people are calling for Archie’s head but if you fire him then 1. Why would I want to leave somewhere to come to a school that might fire me quick and 2. Other just gonna completely start over again and we will be going through the exact same thing over and over again.

I swear that I could have written some of the posts in this thread, and ascribed them all to the particular poster who made it, before this game even tipped off. 

I love you guys but man, some of you seem to be more interested in reinforcing your own opinions about what you think the team is rather than watching them and then thinking. 

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Lander' shot definitely needs work.  But, his bread and butter in college will be his playmaking (including decision-making).  Throw in the fact that he is going to have to play defense better to see the floor, and he needs to tighten those things up before he gives too much focus to his shot.   

Agree 100% that's why I said off-season.  Can't overload him with too much change right now

4 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

The Good:
- Shooting in the first half
- Composure when Nebraska took the lead
- All around game from Hunter and Leal (and also Phinisee)
- some great new actions to isolate TJD in the post...It's just that they were playing off Race, off Trey, off the weak side guard as well, so there were always at least three, and sometimes four, defenders in the lane...
- TJD did a much better job handling the double team in this game
- We won the game without Franklin, and with Rob hurting and in foul trouble the second half
- we did better handling different defenses than we have in past games

Less than ideal:
- settling for threes (that we weren't hitting) in the second half

The bad:
- I thought that our poor FT shooting gave them life in the first half
- We were terrible in defensive transition...in terms of urgency and in terms of communication
- Stopping dribble penetration...this didn't surprise me, Nebraska has some slashing playmakers and size at the guard position, they had five guys who can handle the ball on the floor and were five wide anytime that their new post player was in the game...the two adjustments I would have considered were: going zone (But Archie just isn't going to consider that) or because we couldn't take TJD off the floor (Race wasn't better on the ball anyway)  I thought it might have been interesting to try a press so that they didn't have a head of steam coming at us the whole time...in a pressing situation we might have been able to do more to turn the ball handlers and also keep TJD near the rim for rim protection
- Race and TJD were not great around the rim tonight...if they finish one or two more at important points in the game, the whole feel is different 

On going zone I had the thought that RMK rejected the zone for so long and it doesn’t make the team better to refuse to utilize another strategy. 

Overall and simpler reaction after letting a little time go by.

- It wasn’t a bad game, it was a strong first half followed by a pretty much expected Neb run and a foot off the gas by our guys, who then showed poise in dealing with the run and closed it out comfortably— that is what a good team does, it handles the run and wins well in the end.

- TJD is a monster. We will get his best effort in the next game, he let up and still dominated but his letting up will be pointed out, of course. The kid is a monster player, looking forward to seeing his best ag PU.

As others keep saying, we just went to double OT and now another win without AF. That’s a reflection of depth. It reflects that we’re a good team, that should be obvious.

With both Hunter and  Leal  coming on, and playing aggressively, we now have the added outside shooting and extra scoring we’ve needed for a more balanced offense, and when we get AF back we’ll be better than we were before he was injured. 

I understand people get frustrated when the team plays poorly for a big stretch of the 2d half, but big picture here is good, not bad, at all 

And we only turned it over 8 times

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

- It wasn’t a bad game, it was a strong first half followed by a pretty much expected Neb run and a foot off the gas by our guys, who then showed poise in dealing with the run and closed it out comfortably— that is what a good team does, it handles the run and wins well in the end.

- TJD is a monster. We will get his best effort in the next game, he let up and still dominated but his letting up will be pointed out, of course. The kid is a monster player, looking forward to seeing his best ag PU.

As others keep saying, we just went to double OT and now another win without AF. That’s a reflection of depth. It reflects that we’re a good team, that should be obvious.

With both Hunter and  Leal  coming on, and playing aggressively, we now have the added outside shooting and extra scoring we’ve needed for a more balanced offense, and when we get AF back we’ll be better than we were before he was injured. 

I understand people get frustrated when the team plays poorly for a big stretch of the 2d half, but big picture here is good, not bad, at all 

Agree.  Back end of a road trip. Up a good amount.  They took the pedal off, but still found a way to win.  

I’m confident we’ll see a Wisconsin-type effort on Thursday!

9 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

A coach can teach skills and build them up but he can’t teach intensity and killer instinct. When he has to call timeouts just because players got lackadaisical that shouldn’t ever happen. You should realize this is the Big Ten and scouts are always watching. When you go to school on a full ride isn’t the goal hopefully NBA? Well if I don’t bring it every game it’s going to be noted on my scouting report and if you’re on the verge of being drafted or not then that could be the tiebreaker. STOP BLAMING ARCHIE PEOPLE.

12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Summed up my thoughts perfectly. 

A win is a win... especially on the road. We need AF back, and boy do I miss Brunk. Having another big able to battle on the boards and use a couple fouls in the Big10 would be nice. I’m not concerned about the letdown in the second half. With Leal’s emergence, a reinvigorated RP, and Hunter’s improvement, I’m encouraged. Purdue is a must win. I’m seeing where MSU is a must win too? In East Lansing? I think we can beat them, but must win?

4 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

A win is a win... especially on the road. We need AF back, and boy do I miss Brunk. Having another big able to battle on the boards and use a couple fouls in the Big10 would be nice. I’m not concerned about the letdown in the second half. With Leal’s emergence, a reinvigorated RP, and Hunter’s improvement, I’m encouraged. Purdue is a must win. I’m seeing where MSU is a must win too? In East Lansing? I think we can beat them, but must win?

Exactly right on missing Brunk. I'm high on Geronimo's potential, but right now he's not ready and in each of the last two games the other team has gone on runs when he came in. With Brunk available for those minutes I'd imagine the fort gets held down much, much better with those backup big minutes. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

On going zone I had the thought that RMK rejected the zone for so long and it doesn’t make the team better to refuse to utilize another strategy. 

I remember the shock when RMK used a 3-2 zone at Northwestern for the entire game...I think it was maybe '97 or so...

I think switching defenses once or twice can be so effective...like throwing an off speed pitch..might have helped rob some of their perimeter players of their attacking mindset in the second half

7 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I remember the shock when RMK used a 3-2 zone at Northwestern for the entire game...I think it was maybe '97 or so...

I think switching defenses once or twice can be so effective...like throwing an off speed pitch..might have helped rob some of their perimeter players of their attacking mindset in the second half

I think those guys would have attacked the rim no matter what. Their game plan seemed to be attack and score or attack and kick. And do it as fast as possible. I'd like to see a comparison of their time of possession to the other teams we have played.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Guys.  I didn't see the game.  So, maybe this comment is off-base. 

But, Trey Galloway was 4-8 from the field, with 3 assists.  I don't think he needs to sit because he can't make 3's.  I just don't think he needs to shoot 4 in a game.

Bottom line is we have 9 healthy players, and it's clear that Archie does not yet have full confidence in Lander and Geronimo.  We need Trey to play 20-25 minutes a game, and play to his strengths.

When he played within himself he was great. However he is quickly becoming Justin Smith liability out there at the 3pt line. Nebraska was 10 feet off him daring him to shoot. It was more a couple ill advised shots more than anything. Instead of trying to get it to Trayce and when Nebraska was making a run he took a few. When he drove he was great. Just none of his 3pt shots had even 1% chance of going in. I mean they weren’t even close. Honestly even a couple of his drives Nebraska gifted him on broken defense. Hard to explain you will just have to watch. Look he is a freshman and he played fine...it’s just stats don’t tell the whole story.

9 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I think those guys would have attacked the rim no matter what. Their game plan seemed to be attack and score or attack and kick. And do it as fast as possible. I'd like to see a comparison of their time of possession to the other teams we have played.

That's probably true...would have had the benefit of having TJD near the rim to protect a bit more, but they were certainly trying to get downhill on us...

1 hour ago, Bustout said:

Agree.  Back end of a road trip. Up a good amount.  They took the pedal off, but still found a way to win.  

I’m confident we’ll see a Wisconsin-type effort on Thursday!

We thought that last year when Knight was there. I honestly don’t know what to expect. I do think we are the better team but we were last year too. All I know it will be a battle...Purdue has no give up.

Archived